Factory order 2016 2500 CC Laramie 4x4 Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gymkata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am on the verge of ordering a 2016 2500 CC Laramie 4x4 tomorrow. I currently have a 2014 1500 CC Sport 4x4 as listed in my SIG, but the lack of aftermarket support for Ram 1/2 tons and my love of diesels has me looking into the HD realm. I have seriously considered the Power Wagon, but ultimately I would rather spend the extra money and build my own Cummins PW.

I have just one main dilemma before I order...to get the rear air suspension or not? Your suggestions are appreciated. I don't really tow much now, but I may start trailering my car to the track next year and getting a 5th wheel toy hauler in the next few years isn't out of the question.

If I get the rear air suspension, then I would likely get the Icon Vehicle Dynamics Stage IV 4.5" (air ride) suspension 2014-UP RAM 2500 4WD 4.5" Suspension System - Stage 4 (Air Ride). If I don't, first on my list is the Carli Suspension 3" Pintop 2.5 suspension Carli Pintop 2.5 Suspension System for 2014+ Dodge Ram 2500 3 inch lift kit. Either way I would like to run 37x13.5 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro tires Cooper Tire & Rubber Company - Discoverer STT PRO™... Fuel D552 18x9 wheels Trophy - D552 - Fuel Off-Road Wheels

So as to break up the cost a bit, I would likely stay with the 3.42 gears and factory rear LSD for a bit and then upgrade to 4.10 gears and a front ARB air locker at a future date...within 12 months.

So, my main questions are...Air Ride rear suspension or not? ...and will keeping the 3.42 gears with 37s bog me down too much if I'm not towing often? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the 342 gears will be fine with 37"s.. remember it 800ft of torque stock. Also the carli stuff in my opinion is the way to go! I was actually looking at their stuff last night on one of their vendors website " my kind of ****" CJC Off Road I wish I had a extra 6k just laying around to **** away on my truck. I have seen where guys have ran 37"s on lvled 4th gen 2500"s looks decent but for me I would just want to do the carli. Best of luck

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So, my main questions are...Air Ride rear suspension or not?

It is a rear air leveling system, not air suspension albeit I'm not sure how closely they are related. I have it on my 3500 and it works well at leveling and does smooth out the ride when it has 2800 pounds on its back.

OP
OP
Gymkata

Gymkata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is a rear air leveling system, not air suspension albeit I'm not sure how closely they are related. I have it on my 3500 and it works well at leveling and does smooth out the ride when it has 2800 pounds on its back.

That's true on the 3500s, but on the 2500s it is an air suspension that replaces the springs.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Just word of caution, Re gearing within your warranty period may cause issues. Be very careful unless the power train warranty isn't important to you.

OP
OP
Gymkata

Gymkata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^have members here not had their warranties honored due to gear changes in the past? I never thought that would be a warranty issue...if it is then thanks for the heads up.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
That's true on the 3500s, but on the 2500s it is an air suspension that replaces the springs.

Just the coils, the leafs are still there and RAM never refers to it as air suspension. From the brochure;

"THE AVAILABLE AUTO-LEVEL REAR AIR SUSPENSION SYSTEM FOR RAM 2500 took its engineering cues from the available Ram 1500 Active-LevelTM Four-Corner Air Suspension System. This Ram Heavy Duty adaptation addresses needs specific to the higher GVWRs and GCWRs of the 2500 class. The two modes include:

NORMAL LOAD-LEVELING MODE provides a level load profile by monitoring ride heights on both sides of the vehicle and creating a slight positive rake angle.

ALTERNATE RIDE HEIGHT MODE lowers the rear suspension by about an inch, keeping an even alignment between the hitch and trailer tongue for a level load and a parallel, level relationship between the vehicle and the trailer. The “rake” from pickup front end to the rear of the trailer remains consistent, ensuring level ride and handling with superb towing and hauling characteristics."

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
^^^have members here not had their warranties honored due to gear changes in the past? I never thought that would be a warranty issue...if it is then thanks for the heads up.

It's a risk regardless. In theory, FCA is not liable for any failure of the gears themselves if installed as aftermarket. The problem is if FCA makes a loose connection with the rest of the drivetrain I.E. the engine and transmission and any warranty work on those systems and your aftermarket gears.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
The warranty issues for regearing could definitely be a concern. But the cost to regear vrs just buying it with 410s in the first place is crazy. When checking into mine I found out that the 410s on my truck were like a 150.00 option over the 373s it came with. Also the front diff is not that simple to swap out. I know you are getting a 6.7 but take a serious look at the cost to just buy it with 410 and how much you would spend to upgrade it later.

OP
OP
Gymkata

Gymkata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The warranty issues for regearing could definitely be a concern. But the cost to regear vrs just buying it with 410s in the first place is crazy. When checking into mine I found out that the 410s on my truck were like a 150.00 option over the 373s it came with. Also the front diff is not that simple to swap out. I know you are getting a 6.7 but take a serious look at the cost to just buy it with 410 and how much you would spend to upgrade it later.

I really wish I could buy it with 4.10s, but that is only available as an option on the 3500s with DRW.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just the coils, the leafs are still there and RAM never refers to it as air suspension. From the brochure;

"THE AVAILABLE AUTO-LEVEL REAR AIR SUSPENSION SYSTEM FOR RAM 2500 took its engineering cues from the available Ram 1500 Active-LevelTM Four-Corner Air Suspension System. This Ram Heavy Duty adaptation addresses needs specific to the higher GVWRs and GCWRs of the 2500 class. The two modes include:

NORMAL LOAD-LEVELING MODE provides a level load profile by monitoring ride heights on both sides of the vehicle and creating a slight positive rake angle.

ALTERNATE RIDE HEIGHT MODE lowers the rear suspension by about an inch, keeping an even alignment between the hitch and trailer tongue for a level load and a parallel, level relationship between the vehicle and the trailer. The “rake” from pickup front end to the rear of the trailer remains consistent, ensuring level ride and handling with superb towing and hauling characteristics."
The 2500's don't have leaf springs...

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Gymkata, take a close look at the Mega Cab. As long as they are available i will never go back to a standard CC.

millhunky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I swear i just seen a 3500 6.7 srw with 4.10s with max tow on a dealer search. Let me see if i can find it. I looked at window sticker and it didnt say drw. I will check again and try to link it

OP
OP
Gymkata

Gymkata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I swear i just seen a 3500 6.7 srw with 4.10s with max tow on a dealer search. Let me see if i can find it. I looked at window sticker and it didnt say drw. I will check again and try to link it

I had my guy at the dealer build me a 3500 in his system. It wouldn't let him order the 4.10s without DRW. His poster on the wall with all the ordering possibilities also just listed 4.10s for 3500 with DRW.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
OP...

1) Fact: 3.42s are the only option. So lets put that to bed.

2) I would avoid the air suspension. Unless you can justify why you need it, I dont see the point. Just another thing to break and create problems, its also pretty expensive.

3) The regearing is hit or miss. It will help the truck, but changing the gear ratio will screw up the speedometer and transmission shifting. You can fix that many of ways, but its another can of worms. If you are worried about warranty, better keep it as stock as possible. (level on 35s)

4) 37s and 3.42s will not be ideal. Ever. it doesnt matter that you have "800ft lbs". But yes, you will be ok driving it around for awhile. or doing light towing. With 37s though, you are going to want to regear at some point.

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 "Laramie" 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Leer 122 Campershell
Engine
6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Gymkata, take a close look at the Mega Cab. As long as they are available i will never go back to a standard CC.
Gymkata

I just ordered my Laramie 2500 CC. If I could have gotten a Mega cab with an 8ft. Bed I would have ordered it.

After you ordered your truck, did you get an e-mail from the assembly plant. I talked to my dealer and he said he got the VIN last Friday.
How long after you ordered did you get your truck?

OP
OP
Gymkata

Gymkata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gymkata

I just ordered my Laramie 2500 CC. If I could have gotten a Mega cab with an 8ft. Bed I would have ordered it.

After you ordered your truck, did you get an e-mail from the assembly plant. I talked to my dealer and he said he got the VIN last Friday.
How long after you ordered did you get your truck?

I ended up not ordering the truck. I decided to wait a few more years and keep playing with my 1500. I thought about it really hard and in the end couldn't justify the cost of purchasing and modifying a 2500. Now if Ram starts giving more options for gearing with the Cummins and gets smart by offing a factory rear locking differential, I might have to reverse my decision immediately. My 1500 build thread and the new mods I got after deciding to keep it are in the link below.

http://www.ramforum.com/f17/gray_man_build_thread_ver_2_0_a-40135/