Factory Tow Hooks and sidesteps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The wife and I stopped last night to look a 2017 Laramie 2500 6.4 CC. It had everything I wanted except the front tow hooks and sidesteps. If they can get the numbers right, I just might be in a new truck this weekend.

Two questions:
1. I'd think it be fairly easy to do but, how hard is it to add the factory tow hooks? It was raining and I was in work clothes or I'd climbed underneath it it. The mounting point didn't look real solid.

2. Do you think I could take the factory steps off of my 1500 CC and mount them to a 2500 CC? This one had the 3 pairs of holes in the pinch weld like mine but again. I didn't get under the truck.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
1. Tow hooks are easy. Yes, you'd have to get under it to hold the nuts behind the mounting plate. with a wrench while tightening the bolts fro the front. The plate you bolt through is attached to the frame. On mine it's 3/8" steel welded to the frame ends.

2. I'm really not sure if the steps would bolt right up or not. You'd have to measure to be sure.

moonshinexxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My truck didn't come with tow hooks either, and on hindsight, I wish I would have at least asked the dealer to take a set off another truck, or order a set from Mopar (they are obviously higher $190? if ordered separately, and don't include the skid plate that comes with the $115? Protection Package...). But I've decided to just have a set made that will have a hole in the end for a 7/8" shackle, which can be removed when not in use/needed.

Regarding the side steps, I'm sure there is enough frame on the 2500 to accommodate a good mounting location for the 1500 steps if you're handy with fabing stuff.

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
Easy solution. have the dealer put them on and part of the deal if they want to sell the truck. they will do it. i've had em put the wheel to wheel nerf bars in as part of the deal on 2 trucks now. my previous truck I had them put nerfs and tow mirrors on it, the lack of tow mirrors would have been my 'deal breaker'.

work out all the details and then throw in the oh yeah, and I also want/need this, that, and the other thing, I find not getting too crazed will work out for ya.

just because it's not on there now doesn't mean they won't put em on to make a sale. :D

OP
OP
Sandbox

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Easy solution. have the dealer put them on and part of the deal if they want to sell the truck. they will do it. i've had em put the wheel to wheel nerf bars in as part of the deal on 2 trucks now. my previous truck I had them put nerfs and tow mirrors on it, the lack of tow mirrors would have been my 'deal breaker'.

work out all the details and then throw in the oh yeah, and I also want/need this, that, and the other thing, I find not getting too crazed will work out for ya.

just because it's not on there now doesn't mean they won't put em on to make a sale. :D

I know and I have considered that but, want to have options. I know when we bought the 1500, they offered me the steps and the price was ridiculous!!! I found my factory Mopar steps on Craigslist from a 2015 Sport for $200. Truth is, I haven't decided on a specific truck yet. The one we looked at last night had all of the options but, it was black and Chrome. Sharp truck!! What we really want is a black or gray Laramie with the black Appearance package. Question is if they have or can get one with the options I want.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
yes your side steps would work on the 2500. Since you are looking at Laramies, you would probably be lucky and already have the welded in nut which would prevent the need to buy a rivnut kit. My 2016 1500 sport didn't have step rails from the factory but the nuts were already there on the truck

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i would of thought tow hooks would be a standard installed item

The Hulk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i would of thought tow hooks would be a standard installed item

Protection group gets you tow hooks......

Yall are correct they cost about 150 new, or watch the for sale forums, people sometimes take them off for aftermarket bumpers or led light bars. I bought my wheel to wheel steps from Craigslist for $100, bought a rivnut kit and had them powder coated for 150.

OP
OP
Sandbox

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I installed the steps off of my 1500 onto my 2500 on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk