Fifth Wheel Street RV Tow app

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Is this app correct?

I put in my info:
GCWR - 25000
GVWR - 10000

Tow Vehicle Weight - i put 8k but its actually around 7800 dry.

Tow Vehicle trailer weight rating - I put 13k total but its actually 13,995lbs

Unscaled tow vehicle weight

Gear cargo/ misc. - I put 350
Passenger weight - I put 770

So then it tells me that I can have a pin weight of 2520 safely at 25%.

Is this the case or am I completely reading this wrong?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It looks correct.

I think your pin weight may be on the high side at 25%. I calculated mine at 20% and when I actually weighed it was right at 17%. I weighed mine on a certified scale.

Of course, all pin weights differ.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Pin weight is not always at 25% and in most cases that is on the heavy end of the spectrum depending on how the RV is configured. Two major factors determine weight, where the axles sit and how much weight is before or after the axle. If the axle sit further back with most of you weight and slide outs being toward the front then you will have a heavier pin weight percentage. If the axle are more towards the middle with most of the weight being over or behind the axles then you will have a lighter percentage.

This is one reason why some people try to add more weight to the rear to lighten up the pin weight. Instead of keeping a lot of stuff in the front compartments, they put in the back when towing.

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
LOL. The reason why I ask because I really want them 311bhs and the pin weight on that model is 2180 dry.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
That is not the exact pin weight and is an average between the different packages of that floor plan.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Looking at the website for the GD 311BHS .

The weight average between the different optional packages is 11,185 bs meaning it could be more or less depending on how many upgrades you select. The base will likely be about 1,000 lbs less and the highest optional package might be 1,000 lbs more. Same for the 2,180 lbs pin weight where the base might be a few hundred pounds less and the highest option might be a few hundred more.

Either option or package you pick, you still have a max GVWR of 13,995 lbs. A lesser optioned 311BHS will leave you with more payload while a fully optioned one will leave you with less.

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Yeah Anthony, just cant find an rv that fits us as much as that one and trust me, I've been looking. I dont want to pull anything thats going to endanger my family or anybody else on the road though.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
You could still get the 311BHS, just without some of the packages like the Artic 4-seasons package depending on if it is needed or not. That package alone looks like it adds some significant weight to the RV. Your 13,995 GVWR will still be the same, but your actual weight might be less.

Also, are you planning on carrying water with you wherever you go or just going from park hook up to park hook up? If you are not planning on totting water then that is less weight you will be actually carrying.

Last edited:
OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Unfortunately thats the main package we want so we can visit colorado, montana and places where there's lits of mountains

Swampfox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
According to the "advertised" weights of that 5th wheel it comes out to 19.5%. I know the dry weights can be misleading but the percentage should relatively stay the same. I think you could tow it but there is a big difference between 7 or 8 trips a year and full timing. You could probably do it but you are absolutely asking a lot from your truck...just my opinion and not saying it's the best thing to do. Me personally I would be worried the whole time. I'm an aircraft crew chief and I have seen man made mechanical things break that are supposed to never break! Nothing is indestructible.

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
According to the "advertised" weights of that 5th wheel it comes out to 19.5%. I know the dry weights can be misleading but the percentage should relatively stay the same. I think you could tow it but there is a big difference between 7 or 8 trips a year and full timing. You could probably do it but you are absolutely asking a lot from your truck...just my opinion and not saying it's the best thing to do. Me personally I would be worried the whole time. I'm an aircraft crew chief and I have seen man made mechanical things break that are supposed to never break! Nothing is indestructible.
Pete, I understand what you're saying and I appreciate you fellas advice. Like I said before, I don't want to put my family or anyone else on the road in danger. I also don't want my truck breaking down prematurely. I know what you mean about things breaking down that aren't supposed to or were designed not to break. I worked offshore as a crane mechanic for 12 years and boy did I ever see very robustly built machinery break when it was brand new. Just sucks really bad because we've been continuously looking over and over and we ones we think we might like are overweight or we dont like the layout or it ends up being too small and cramped. I wish we had more choices.

Swampfox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pete, I understand what you're saying and I appreciate you fellas advice. Like I said before, I don't want to put my family or anyone else on the road in danger. I also don't want my truck breaking down prematurely. I know what you mean about things breaking down that aren't supposed to or were designed not to break. I worked offshore as a crane mechanic for 12 years and boy did I ever see very robustly built machinery break when it was brand new. Just sucks really bad because we've been continuously looking over and over and we ones we think we might like are overweight or we dont like the layout or it ends up being too small and cramped. I wish we had more choices.

Sounds like your trying to figure out a way to make it work or convince yourself it would be fine but you know it's too much. Have you thought about a class A motor home? Your whole family could ride in comfort and tow your truck behind even put a golf cart in the bed.

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
In a way, I have been trying to convince myself but listening to you guys has changed my mind. I'll shut up about the 311 now. I just cant take the chance. Maybe ill look further into the 30bh or something else.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Sounds like your trying to figure out a way to make it work or convince yourself it would be fine but you know it's too much.
That's a full of chit statement.

I'd pull a 14K fiver behind a 2500 CTD and not even think twice about it. I've had had more than that behind 3/4 ton trucks.

440hsp the trailer your looking at isn't going to put you over the GCWR or the GAWR. With your family on board, your not going to drive like an idiot, buy it and enjoy. Don't buy into some of these "armchair quarterbacks" that go by the "numbers" in which one pound over is all bad.

Swampfox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's a full of chit statement.

I'd pull a 14K fiver behind a 2500 CTD and not even think twice about it. I've had had more than that behind 3/4 ton trucks.

440hsp the trailer your looking at isn't going to put you over the GCWR or the GAWR. With your family on board, your not going to drive like an idiot, buy it and enjoy. Don't buy into some of these "armchair quarterbacks" that go by the "numbers" in which one pound over is all bad.

I guess people that actually own 5th wheels and pull them regularly have no idea what they are talking about

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
****** thing is you just don't know how it will tow untill you tow it - look around ur area and see who's pulling what with what and talk to them about their experiences. Hell you might find guys with 3/4 tons towing way more.No way that that trailer or weight is only being pulled by 1 ton dually"s... cause they wouldn't sell enough of them and they wouldn't be making them. People are obviously buying them and I'd be willing to bet the majority are towing them with your exact truck. - look for a rv park and see what ya find in there- guys on vacation will gladly share their experiences with their set ups with you.

jorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
That 311BHS is a beast... and a pretty one, at that. I'm surprised it's as light as it is. :)

I'm into our second season on a Coachmen 360IBL. Doesn't have the "hang out" space in the bunkroom, but that rear living and kitchen space kicks ass.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Here's my .02.

I have a 2011 3500 Dually Mega Cab with 3.73's

Pretty much the biggest truck I could get to tow a 5th wheel and DD, aside from chassis cab or obnoxiously large trucks. I'm looking at a 41 foot Road Warrior. Empty weight 16500, loaded weight I'm estimating about 20k.

If you look at my tow ratings for 3.73's, I'm stuck around 13k. With 4.10's I'm at 18.5K. With my axle rating I can put about 6K of weight in the bed, but because of my 3.73's I have a 4.5K difference in towing rating simply due to gears... Ridiculous.

I'm going to tow 20K just fine, but per the manufacturers specs, I'd be stuck around 13K.

Theres some perspective for ya. [emoji6]