First post....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
I have been following along for a couple months. Bought my silver, crew, long bed, trademans, 4.10 last august for a trip up to the mountains with my family. Bought at hoblit in woodland ca for ~$34,500, it booked for 45k. Needed the cargo room and now have a tonneau. Previously life was a farmer on the east coast with '03 duramax and '05 Cummins dually, but now work in construction and don't need the towing power. Really like the truck. Would eventually like to get a boat and camper when I can move out of the suburbs and won't have to pay for storage.

Changed the oil at 2500 miles last week, I commute in a beater car so this truck will last me at least 20 years.... no salt on the roads here.

I plan on dumping my differential fluids around 5k and going with Mobil delvac. I stuck to the pennzoil ultra 0w40 on the first changed, but will be switching over to pennzoil platinum euro 0w40... $22.50 at Walmart vs $50 srt Amazon. Voas on bob the oil show ultra with more moly, platinum with more everything else. My Manuel states SN oil required of 0w40, so really could go with Castrol or Mobil also. Not sure when I want to dump the tranny, have always done it at 10k on every vehicle I own.

Love hemi motors, my last one was in a grand Cherokee and I went the full Inertia motor sports cam, heads, headers, etc. I do all the work myself, it is pretty much the only relaxation I get anymore.... (kids). Not ready to tear into this one anytime soon, but the 4.56s really intrigue me in the future. I might chime in from time to time, let you know how my break-in is going.

Oh yeah, my wife would rather ride around in my truck than her tdi Touareg, but if I make it loud like my last hemi I'm done for. Now that I'm not in my 20s anymore I like the quietness and civility of the truck.

sure would have liked another Cummins, but with what I do I'd plug up the dpf and be in a world of pain. No delete option in this god foresaken state. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
Almost forgot. My had a puff of black smoke (3-5 sec) out the exhaust after an overnight startup probably four times in the first couple hundred miles. Then just stopped and now never..... was kind of worried but figured pcv valve or rings seating. Anyone else have that? Also, get a squeak from the bed area over bumps.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The squeak could. Be the rear e brake line - I can't remember where but I saw a post and a guy had a pick of where it is and when the rear axle articulates the line runs and it can " squeak" I to really really want gears - Juat can't afford it atm

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Congrats and welcome. I picked up my 17 at the end of December. I love it so far. I have the 3.73s. Would have preferred the 4.10s, but the deal on my truck was good and it was local, and right off the transport truck so I went for it. If I have this truck awhile, I may go for a 4.30 gear in the future. With as low as this thing tachs on the highway, I know the 4.30s would not affect highway fuel mileage that much. I didn't buy it for fuel efficiency anyway.

I, like you, had lots of loud vehciles over the years, a GTO, several mustangs, even some trucks with loud exhausts. I'm in my 40s now and enjoy the stock exhaust of this Ram. I have no plans to change it at this point.

This is my first new Dodge and so far I'm pretty impressed with it. For sure I like it a lot more than the 15 1500 Silverado I traded. Lots of reasons why, I went into it in some of my earlier threads on this forum.

I just ordered Cover King seat covers for mine to protect the factory seats, which even in my tradesman are very comfortable. I also want to get the bed lineX in the spring before camping season starts.

I have about 360 miles on mine so far, and yes, she's huffed a little on cold starts or when I've shut down and then restarted shortly thereafter. I have not noticed it at all the past few weeks and I attribute that to engine/piston rings breaking in. It's not used any oil so I'm not concerned. I'm sure that's what your issue is as well, no worries there.

The squeak your referring to is coming from where the parking brake cables pass through wire looms that keep it directed to where the factory wants them routed to. I diagnosed this by having my wife and son jump in the bed till I traced it. Problem solved by insulating the brake cables with rubber hose where it passes through the wire looms/brackets. I still get an occasional squeak, so I have to do so more digging, I probably missed something or maybe it just needs a touch of grease on the hose in a spot. its vastly improved from how it was when I first got the truck

I'm traditionally a Ford/Chevy man, but really like this Ram. I had a 1997 Ram 2500 that had the 360 engine and 4.10 gears I really liked as well and miss that truck. I love how high she sits up too. I'm hoping to have it for awhile.

Good luck with yours.

-G

Last edited:

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Congrats on the new truck. And welcome.

I have also heard about the squeak issue from the brake lines that GsRAM is talking about. I haven't had that issue though. Maybe it's only on the 2500's.

I haven't yet reached the limits of the 3.73's, but I wish I bought one with the 4.10's. good choice with the 4.10's.

Overall these "work trucks" seem to be pretty nice. This is my 3rd HD Ram, and by far the smoothest and most quiet riding HD.

I did see some blue/dark gray smoke on startup during the first couple hundred miles, but haven't seen it since. I have 36.5k miles on mine, and haven't had any problem either.

OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
They had 40 2500 6.4's on the lot, mostly tradesman models because they sell to a lot of fleets. Only two trucks had 4.10s. Ram needs to smarten up

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Most likely the person ordering the dealer stock needs to smarten up.

This is about the average from what I saw when shopping. 90%+ of the trucks on the lots have the 3.73 gearing. You pretty must have to order to get the 4.10s in the truck and options you want.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Welcome. My 15 did the smoke thing a time or two then nothing after some miles. For 17 did they change the oil spec. Just curious whether they still recommend the certain Mopar spec number only. Can't remember what the number is. I have my amsoil here and decided to run an amsoil filter this time. Only my 2nd oil change at 8800 miles.lol. Bought truck in sept. of 2015.

OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
Per 2016 Manuel,

"For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only recommends full synthetic engine oils that meet API categories of SN. The manufacturer recommends the use of pennzoil ultra 0w40 or molar equivalent..... ms-12633...."

Recommend vs required. I read it as any synthetic API SN would be fine

Stampederfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
They had 40 2500 6.4's on the lot, mostly tradesman models because they sell to a lot of fleets. Only two trucks had 4.10s. Ram needs to smarten up

Take a quick look for an Outdoorsman model as they are stock with 4.10s - mine is pretty highly optioned. Other than leather I got everything I wanted but Clazzio seat covers fixed that shortcoming. Had to drive 12 hours return to get it though.

Stampederfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Take a quick look for an Outdoorsman model as they are stock with 4.10s - mine is pretty highly optioned. Other than leather I got everything I wanted but Clazzio seat covers fixed that shortcoming. Had to drive 12 hours return to get it though.

Sorry guys - I don't think you have the Outdoorsman available in the States anymore. Not on the Ram US website but it's still offered in Canada for 2017.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD

Mine is a 2016 Outdoorsman & it came with 3.73 stock. I ordered mine am wishing I would have spent the extra $150 to get the 4.10's. I am not going to be hauling or pulling crazy weight but probably worth the $$$ for resale. When I test drove the two different gearing I didn't notice any difference in acceleration. I was mostly interested in any extra mpg I could get, but I have noticed that there is virtually no difference there either.
Interesting that up north the RAM packages are equipped just a little different.

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
Guess I got lucky. When I bought my 2016 2500, there were probably 100 trucks on their lot and over half of them had 4.10s.

I was beside myself trying to choose one....