First trip in Heavy Duty - Little review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Great report... thanks!

The longer I own my 6.4 the more comfortable I get with it. I'm towing an 11K 5th wheel with the non-towing-friendly 3.73 gears and am surviving. It's funny because as time has gone on and the trucks improved so much, we all feel like if we're not screaming up 7% grades with huge trailers @ 70mph that there is something wrong with our truck (I'm as guilty as anyone with this expectation).

The reality is the 6.4 is a GREAT engine, the tranny is marginal and the overall experience is 20X better than anything 20 years ago.

Can you post some pics of your rig? We are looking to upgrade to a 5er soon. Thanks

whsk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
like the man said-20 times better than even 10 years ago-mine rides decent with the off road package-still over 3100 payload-i think it is a keeper!

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I left NY about 25 years ago. Where I have been living, people only notice your pick up if it's lifted 5 inches and running 37"s LOL!

So I guess I take my stock 2500 for granted, I can only imagine what people would think of her back on Long Island. (Probably think I'm a lawn service guy :) )

And yea, after about 5000-10,000 miles the Hemi starts purring and getting a few mpg's more! Also helps to stay around 62-65mph. I can get 18+ mpgs on the highway if I keep it slow.

One other thing I will add is I HATE the 8 speed trannies. They are expensive, very complicated, and not user maintainable. (Lifetime fluid fills, who's lifetime? No thanks) They may be a little smoother, but the expense and disposable nature of a $5000 transmission makes me very happy with the 6 speed.

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I left NY about 25 years ago. Where I have been living, people only notice your pick up if it's lifted 5 inches and running 37"s LOL!

So I guess I take my stock 2500 for granted, I can only imagine what people would think of her back on Long Island. (Probably think I'm a lawn service guy :) )

And yea, after about 5000-10,000 miles the Hemi starts purring and getting a few mpg's more! Also helps to stay around 62-65mph. I can get 18+ mpgs on the highway if I keep it slow.

One other thing I will add is I HATE the 8 speed trannies. They are expensive, very complicated, and not user maintainable. (Lifetime fluid fills, who's lifetime? No thanks) They may be a little smoother, but the expense and disposable nature of a $5000 transmission makes me very happy with the 6 speed.
I had the 8 speed in my 1500, having that gearing in a HD would put it above all of the others, it wouldn't be hard to make it serviceable and technically it is it is just a little more expensive. The 1st gear alone in that 8 speed makes me hate the diesel geared 6 speed everytime I drive my truck.

Sent from my LG-V530 using Tapatalk

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to trade my 4.7 in for 6.4... never want a new Cummins, I would never need it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk