Fuel filter canister removal??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

walter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well I decided to change the fuel filter on my truck today and found the canister cap way too tight. I'm using a 6 point socket and every ounce of strength I have. But cap will not budge. I have a new cap on order and plan to pull canister to work on it outside of the truck and cut off if needed. I have been looking for instructions but cant seem to find anything.
Any tricks to pulling it? I see 2 bolts and a wiring plug I assume I just cant see a fuel line or two do I need to replace any gaskets or o-rings

Thanks
Walter

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cheater pipe. Make sure you are turning the correct way.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

walter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Cheater pipe. Make sure you are turning the correct way.

Had my 2' 1/2" breaker bar I'm worried about breaking the housing

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
I used extensions to get straight down on top of it, instead of trying to work in the bay with limited room, and was able to slowly turn it to get it off, seemed like Hercules must have put it on or something. theres a harness right above it, but I was able to work around it with the extensions.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine was extremely tight. Used my 3/4" breaker bar with about 12" of extensions on a 6pt socket. Kept constant pressure on it until I thought the plastic was gonna crack, it slowly started to turn. Keep at it.

OP
OP
W

walter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So mine sets about 1' under firewall to prevent a straight shot

I used a 6 point socket, ujoint swivel, 18" extension and 24" breaker bar. Using everything I could I THOUGHT it started to move.
But the plastic hex head started to sttarted to strip
Now I can't get any torque before socket slips

So I'm down to pull canister and work with it out of the truck
Or cut the cap off while it's in the truck

Now I'm back to my original question
What is needed to remove the canister?
I see the 2 fuel line but can't see what hold them on
I see 3 and feel 1 bolt holding it in are they mounting bolts only or are they flanged and need gaskets/orings?

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That stinks man. Mine came with a little extra love on the breaker bar with a cheater pipe. I too was getting worried, but dang.

OP
OP
W

walter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well with work being so busy I decided to have a shop take care of it but 3 shops I went to all told me the same thing. They may break canister. So long story short I went with a FASS and eliminated issue.

FYI once canister was out they did get the cap off and offered to reinstall with new cap for $150 but I still went with the FASS with the miles I put on Ill be changing filters twice a year at least

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
The best way I found to remove it is as follows:

1. Put the socket and try like hell to remove it.

2. Give up after 3 minutes and grab a beer.

3. After a short break, try again.

4. Try to pull the ratchet with all your might busting a nut in the process.

5. Give up after 4 minutes and have another beer while icing your nut.

6. After the pain from your testicles wears off, try again.

7. Give up after 3 minutes of trying to have yet another beer while contemplating how you are going to drive to the Cummins factory and throat punch the mother F'er who put that damn cap on so tight.

8. Try yet again, and right before you swear you busted your other nut giving up all hopes of ever having children again, the cap loosens and your like......

12042774_1661053684113115_848213861812012400_n.jpg

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
Same boat here...

First fuel filter change was a *****...

Same with my oil filter... My oil filter was on so tight that i used a wrench with the socket to grab the indents on the bottom of the filter. When i was trying to get the first filter off it actually twisted the housing of the filter!

we need some REAL engineers to come back to the world and design better products and we need some men with some common sense not to gorilla **** these things tight!

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I'm due for a fuel filter change in the spring and you guys are scaring me.

I'm changing mine out around the 1st of Feb and I'll take a pic of how I do it. It's not too bad. The first time was slow coming off but I also didn't have a cheater bar.

rango10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm changing mine out around the 1st of Feb and I'll take a pic of how I do it. It's not too bad. The first time was slow coming off but I also didn't have a cheater bar.
Make a video!

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

BBRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I useda few extentions a impact universal and a braker bar and i swear they glued that thing shut but it came off