Going Further Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperBeaner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I have found the truck (need to test drive and make a final decision) and it's going to be a 2012 SLT with the 6.7. Thing is, I have exactly ZERO diesel knowledge. So here's what I'm looking for: Diesel 101. Care and Feeding of Diesel Trucks for Complete Dummies. Can you guys point me in the right direction?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
The 2012 without an SCR had an oil change interval of 7,500 miles due to the fuel dilution from the frequent regens. If you delete and don't regen anymore then you can extend that to 15k. Change the fuel filter(s) every 15k. Replace the crank case filter and clean the EGR system(if you don't delete) every 65k. Replace the coolant at 100k and the transmission fluid at 120k. Valve lash adjustment is at 150k.

For the 2013+ SCR equipped truck, the oil change is 15k and the EGR cleaning no longer recommended due to the larger cooler, but I would recommend at 100k.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Selective Catalytic Reduction. It is a catalyst that gets inject with DEF(diesel exhaust fluid) to reduce NOx on the 2013+ trucks. The 2012 did not have one and instead had a DOC(diesel oxidation catalyst) that did not require DEF. However, it did regen a lot more due to the EGR being used more aggressively to reduce NOx.

OP
OP
SuperBeaner

SuperBeaner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just did a lil research on that. It really sounds like I should be looking at a 13. Unless the EGR delete (which is apparently illegal on the federal level) on a 12 would net me similar mpg gains

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There's lots of techie diesel stuff to look into and tons of very useful knowledge on this board. On a very basic level the biggest difference between gas and diesel maintenance is the need to change the fuel filter much more frequently (+/- every oil change) and the need for the DEF fluid.

The added expense of the fuel filter was enough to make me do my own oil/fuel filter changes. I'm in a gasser now and just take it to the dealer ($60/change). Add a fuel filter change and I'd be well north of $100. For that it was worth it to me (my last truck was diesel) to dust off my tools and crawl my aging fat ass under my truck a couple times a year.

Good luck.... you'll love the diesel BTW.

:favorites13: