HD Helper Bags?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haul a 5th wheel camper. Just ordered a set of the airlifts, Tibet were on sale yesterday at 4wheelparts for 280 and had free shipping.

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Looks like I'll be going with the Air Lift 5000 kit with a junction T in order to equally air both at the same time. What would you guys suggest for unloaded PSI, 5?

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I had a 64-gun safe in the back of my 3500 SRW this past weekend, and you couldn't even tell it was carrying anything. Didn't change the ride any either. I don't think I'll need the airbags until the leaf Springs start to fatigue.

Maybe I'll just trade in the truck by then.

Well you do have a 1-ton, and mine has the softer Power Wagon springs on, so my payload is a little less than ideal when I want to throw 2k in the bed. It just sags too much for me, I hate having the rear level, let alone lower, than the front.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Looks like I'll be going with the Air Lift 5000 kit with a junction T in order to equally air both at the same time. What would you guys suggest for unloaded PSI, 5?

The instructions, or website, will tell you what the min. PSI should be. I think 5 PSI sounds right.

Are the bags going to be tall enough for a power wagon?

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The instructions, or website, will tell you what the min. PSI should be. I think 5 PSI sounds right.

Are the bags going to be tall enough for a power wagon?

I haven't seen any of the kits specify or ask for the specific model or trim package within the 2500 or 3500 classes, so I'm assuming it'll work fine. If there are any issues I can always just fab up some kind of spacer to shorten the distance a bit. The rear of my truck really didn't go up much with the PW suspension, saw more lift up front than in rear (rake went from 2" even to 1.25"). I'd be surprised if I was more than an inch taller in the rear. I'm thinking there's enough leeway and slack in the bag system to allow use with the PW stuff.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
As long as there is some sort of check valve to prevent the air from transferring side to side under load.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
As long as there is some sort of check valve to prevent the air from transferring side to side under load.

There is no check valve. If you have a load that would engage the air bags enough to where you would worry about air transfer, then fill them up.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I haven't seen any of the kits specify or ask for the specific model or trim package within the 2500 or 3500 classes, so I'm assuming it'll work fine. If there are any issues I can always just fab up some kind of spacer to shorten the distance a bit. The rear of my truck really didn't go up much with the PW suspension, saw more lift up front than in rear (rake went from 2" even to 1.25"). I'd be surprised if I was more than an inch taller in the rear. I'm thinking there's enough leeway and slack in the bag system to allow use with the PW stuff.

Did you order them from SD Truck Springs? If so, just call their customer service and ask them. Their customer service is great.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There is no check valve. If you have a load that would engage the air bags enough to where you would worry about air transfer, then fill them up.
No, I mean while under a load. In a corner one bag will be compressed squeezing air out into the other bag causing the truck to lean the wrong way and cause it to be unstable.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
Because you have to run a minimum 5psi in bags and it effects your unloaded ride quality. The cradles let's you push out all the air when not in use and the bags won't rip if you fully cycle the suspension. You don't need the spacer.

i find absolutely no difference with 5 psi in mine. carry an 8.5 foot camper with firestone ride rites,and i also have 5k lb. supersprings,just in case.timbrens don't allow for load leveling.if there's a ride issue,a little less air in the tires solves it.

Last edited:

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
No, I mean while under a load. In a corner one bag will be compressed squeezing air out into the other bag causing the truck to lean the wrong way and cause it to be unstable.

I suppose that is possible, but if you have that heavy of a load, and it is that uneven, you are probably way overloaded and should be driving very slowly or not driving at all.

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I suppose that is possible, but if you have that heavy of a load, and it is that uneven, you are probably way overloaded and should be driving very slowly or not driving at all.

Even with 2k in the bed I don't notice any roll on turns driving my normal way, so I doubt it'll be any issue at all. It's not like I'll be hitting a corner at 40mph and holding on for dear life...

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
why a t fitting? how do you level a load with it? i never have the same psi in both bags.even unloaded and just me and a full tank it's a few hundred on the drivers side,and with the camper on it's at least 15 psi more in the left bag.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I had the load lifter 1000's in my 1/2 ton Ram with the Tee fitting, and never had an issue with an uneven rear end. I only needed them to haul firewood though, so the load was spread out through the box.

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Just got them installed today, took about 2 hours with a dad helper. The instructions are pretty easy to follow, you just have to make sure you have everything sitting the right way and pay attention to the little things. But, all in all, not bad at all. I have them at 10psi and don't really notice a difference just driving around town.

Don't know why that one pic is sideways, it looks right in my phone's photo library.

Attachments

• IMG_0197.jpg
    IMG_0197.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0198.jpg
    IMG_0198.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 46