Headliner replacement on Extended Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I have the leaking 3rd break light problem on my '14 and my headliner is stained in the middle and both sides above the rear window. I have nearly 70k miles so I am out of basic warranty but I do have the MOPAR lifetime warranty.

My question is, has anyone had their headliner replaced under the extended warranty? I have a Recon third brake light but I don't want to install it if there's a chance that I can have my headliner replaced.

OP
OP
Snake_Eyes

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what it's called. Going to the dealer is a PITA and out of the way for me so I'm trying to be as sure as I can before I go in.

67Guzzler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You'll need to read the policy (sorry I know that sounds bad) because it might have specific language pertaining to water intrusion.

Also -- Even the MaxCare plan (which is awesome, IMHO) might not cover "trim" and depending on how they define things, it might not be covered.

I think doing the thing you hate the most -- going to the dealer and then trying to get them on your side by being the "nice victim" might be your best bet IF it's not covered...

Good luck!

-Guzzler

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The Maxcare doesn't cover soft trim and I betcha they will consider the headline soft trim. Good luck. On the positive side, they may view the headliner as collateral damage and cover it.

noclass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it's collateral they should cover it

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
mine was leaking and stained..

dealer had my headliner cleaned instead of replacing, can't see a thing.

OP
OP
Snake_Eyes

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi

I called the dealer and they said that it would be very unlikely for MAX care to cover it and they had never seen anything similar covered previously. He suggested I call MAX care directly.

Here's the deal though, no matter what I do the dealer is going to have to look at it before they make any kind of decision and it simply isn't worth my time (which is money) to go to the dealer, have them look at it and submit it and have it come back refused, which is what I think will happen also. I think I'll just try and clean it or maybe see if I can have it covered in black.

You know, there's a lot of things I like about my RAM, but there are a lot of things that are just plain ********, like this leaking light. WTF? You have the balls to ask $55k for the f'ing truck, do you think you could make a damn $90 light not leak? And all you fan-boys out there don't come back with the "every vehicle has it's problems" ****, I have NEVER had a CHSML on any other truck (or car for that matter) leak!

67Guzzler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm a fanboy -- and it is a common problem and I agree, it's unacceptable.

I'm on my 3rd 4th gen truck and the gasket on this light fixture on all three has been perfect as I've inspected all 3. Since the issue appeared, I unscrewed each one (immediately after delivery on the 2013 and this 2017) and inspected the gasket to be sure it was good. They were all perfect.

But I 100% agree -- this shouldn't be a common problem -- and the consequential damage in the form of standing water and headliner stains is too great.

I would like to compare the gasket on my 2017 to that of prior years. It looks very robust and I don't remember my 2010 or 2013 being this good.

-Guzzler

OP
OP
Snake_Eyes

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I'm a fanboy -- and it is a common problem and I agree, it's unacceptable.

I'm on my 3rd 4th gen truck and the gasket on this light fixture on all three has been perfect as I've inspected all 3. Since the issue appeared, I unscrewed each one (immediately after delivery on the 2013 and this 2017) and inspected the gasket to be sure it was good. They were all perfect.

But I 100% agree -- this shouldn't be a common problem -- and the consequential damage in the form of standing water and stains is too great.

I would like to compare the gasket on my 2017 to that of prior years. It looks very robust and I don't remember my 2010 or 2013 being this good.

-Guzzler

Yeah, they changed the part number so they know there is something wrong with the current/old design. I'm not giving them any more of my money so I don't know if just the gasket changed or the whole unit.

I took my 90 bucks and got a tinted, LED CHMSL from Recon. Haven't installed it yet because I didn't want the dealer to blame it for the leak. Once I convince myself I'm just giving up on the headliner I'll pop it in.

67Guzzler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, they changed the part number so they know there is something wrong with the current/old design. I'm not giving them any more of my money so I don't know if just the gasket changed or the whole unit.

I took my 90 bucks and got a tinted, LED CHMSL from Recon. Haven't installed it yet because I didn't want the dealer to blame it for the leak. Once I convince myself I'm just giving up on the headliner I'll pop it in.

The unit itself looks the same to me. I think the gasket is more robust, however -- but I'm not positive.

My neighbor with a beautiful 1500 Sport had this exact same problem. He was still under the original warranty and they paid for everything. But it was a pain in the butt and he had to take the truck back several times before they cleaned the carpet, replaced one of the rear leather seats (leather got deformed) and they steam cleaned the headliner. His truck looks great now but he had to keep after it and the hassle sucked for him. He's happy now that it's over. As I mentioned -- his was still under the original factory warranty.

For you -- my understanding is you can get the headliner steam cleaned and it should look like new.

As I said -- I'm a fanboy of Chrysler / Dodge / RAM / FCA 100% but I agree this issue is unacceptable because of the havoc it can cause in the form of water damage.

-Guzzler

OP
OP
Snake_Eyes

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
The unit itself looks the same to me. I think the gasket is more robust, however -- but I'm not positive.

My neighbor with a beautiful 1500 Sport had this exact same problem. He was still under the original warranty and they paid for everything. But it was a pain in the butt and he had to take the truck back several times before they cleaned the carpet, replaced one of the rear leather seats (leather got deformed) and they steam cleaned the headliner. His truck looks great now but he had to keep after it and the hassle sucked for him. He's happy now that it's over. As I mentioned -- his was still under the original factory warranty.

For you -- my understanding is you can get the headliner steam cleaned and it should look like new.

As I said -- I'm a fanboy of Chrysler / Dodge / RAM / FCA 100% but I agree this issue is unacceptable because of the havoc it can cause in the form of water damage.

-Guzzler

Thanks for the tip on steam cleaning. I think I'd rather do that myself in my garage having a cigar and a drink than sitting in the waiting room at Chrysler.

And yeah, I'm torn on Chrysler, I want to love the truck but all I can muster is like. I just went through an $1100 dollar heater core replacement on my wife's '13 Wrangler. Chrysler is notorious for leaving larger amounts than normal of casting sand in their engines. It builds up in the far end of the heater core and eventually turns to sludge. This manifests itself as having heat on one side of the vehicle only, in the Wrangler it was the passenger side...the drivers side was so cold it was like the AC was running. My wife does love her Wrangler but is so pissed about it she refuses to ever buy another Chrysler (FCA) product.

I am a life long Blue Oval guy and have only been buying Chryslers since about 2013. At this point when my RAM dies I'll probably go back to Ford.

67Guzzler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for the tip on steam cleaning. I think I'd rather do that myself in my garage having a cigar and a drink than sitting in the waiting room at Chrysler.

And yeah, I'm torn on Chrysler, I want to love the truck but all I can muster is like. I just went through an $1100 dollar heater core replacement on my wife's '13 Wrangler. Chrysler is notorious for leaving larger amounts than normal of casting sand in their engines. It builds up in the far end of the heater core and eventually turns to sludge. This manifests itself as having heat on one side of the vehicle only, in the Wrangler it was the passenger side...the drivers side was so cold it was like the AC was running. My wife does love her Wrangler but is so pissed about it she refuses to ever buy another Chrysler (FCA) product.

I am a life long Blue Oval guy and have only been buying Chryslers since about 2013. At this point when my RAM dies I'll probably go back to Ford.

The trick to stuff like this is how the manufacturer handles it. My buddy isn't sour because it's a faint memory at this point and he's back to enjoying his otherwise trouble-free truck. The longer the issue lingers for you and you can't get past it with a satisfactory resolution, you'll unfortunately be driven back to another brand.

I've had a 94, 96, 2004, 2005.5, 2010, 2013 and this 2017. All have been Cummins except this current one. All have been near perfect and the value that RAM has over Chevy and Ford keeps me. I would never argue one is better over the other but the fact that I can get a comparable truck for 80 - 90% of the cost keeps me. Plus -- I like the looks of the RAM better.

This is ALL subjective though and I would never suggest someone should agree with me...

Good luck getting this resolved so you can go back to enjoying your truck as soon as possible.

-Guzzler

OP
OP
Snake_Eyes

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
As an update to this debacle...

I ordered a brand new Recon tinted CHMSL and installed it last week. Went through my favorite car wash on Saturday and it leaks WORSE than the OEM unit! WFT???

I emailed Recon and they suggested that I RTV it since the leaking "was a previous issue". So, buyer beware on Recon! The gasket on their light looked identical to the OEM gasket. What a bunch of *********.

SO, those of you that have RTV'd can you give me some guidance? Where did you put the bead of silicone?