HELP!!! Bigger tires/leveling kit?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hello out there! Looking for information/pics on a few questions. I have a 2014 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. It's a Mega Cab with the rear air auto leveling system. Here are the questions I have....

1. What is the biggest size tire I can put on this beast without a lift or leveling kit? I have the stock 20 inch wheels and stock suspension. The front of the truck sits only about 1 1/2 inches lower than the rear. I have a few inches to play with...if she gets too high I won't get her in the garage. I want to put bigger tires on but I don't want to put on a leveling kit if I don't need to.

2. If I put a leveling kit on her will the rear automatically adjust to it and raise an inch and a half?! If I put a 2 inch leveling kit will the rear of the truck raise some?! I don't want the front higher than the rear. Is there a 1 inch leveling kit our there anywhere that would work?

3. What is the best tire for this beast? I want an aggressive looking/good quality tire. I don't go mudding or off-roading....she doesn't even see gravel. I just like the looks of the more aggressive tire. Something that has good quality and will last.

ANY and ALL information/pics for these questions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to make a $1500-2000 mistake if I can avoid it!!

Thanks,
Justin

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
1. 35's will fit. I didn't widen the tires I had on the truck until I got the level kit on it but I don't think I would have had a problem anyway. I ran some Toyo 285/75rx18's on my 2014 2500 with the 6.4 (34.7" tall) with no problems. I had some 18x9 with a -12 offset on the truck. I ended up with the Tuff Country #32909 2" level kit with the shock relocation bracket.

2. My rear air system works fine with the level. The rear height did not change with the addition of the front level kit.

3. While there are a LOT of tires out there to choose from in a 35, I went with some BFG 35x12.50x18 KO2's with some 18x9 wheels with a -18 offset. I ended up adding flares as well for some coverage.

Here's what it looks like with all that added:

052516%20Cedar%20Ram%2002_zps7vguppv3.jpg

OP
OP
J

Justin74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Great.... thanks Maddog! Sweet looking rig!!!!

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
35s can fit with no lift and some 37s will too. If you're staying stock wheels you'll want to stay less than 12" wide tires, anything more will rub but can be remedied with some trimming of fender liner.

As far as tires go, it depends on your towing/hauling needs. You'll want a tire in the right load index if you're pulling anything remotely heavy. I personally think a great compromise of looks and comfort are the hybrids, Toyo RT Nitto Ridge Grappler etc. You can also get these tires in the right load index.

OP
OP
J

Justin74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Thanks for the info Andrew09Hemi!!!

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
I have the same truck as you and I'm running 285/65r20's. I went that route because it's the same height as a 35 but 11.5 wide so it fits the stock wheel a nicer (no balloon look). Plus it's still a load range e rated to 80psi.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
1. What is the biggest size tire I can put on this beast without a lift or leveling kit? I have the stock 20 inch wheels and stock suspension. The front of the truck sits only about 1 1/2 inches lower than the rear. I have a few inches to play with...if she gets too high I won't get her in the garage. I want to put bigger tires on but I don't want to put on a leveling kit if I don't need to.

You will be able to fit 35" tires with no problems. Some AT 37" tires that are listed at 37" but actually are 36" tires. You will fit in a garage if you have a few inches to spare.

2. If I put a leveling kit on her will the rear automatically adjust to it and raise an inch and a half?! If I put a 2 inch leveling kit will the rear of the truck raise some?! I don't want the front higher than the rear. Is there a 1 inch leveling kit our there anywhere that would work?

If you level the truck with a 2.50 kit, it will sit perfectly level. The rear will not raise any. The rear leveling kit uses a senor to adjust that is based off axle to frame distance. This will not be effected at all. I believe I've seen a 1.75" level kit and a 2.0", but nothing less than that.

3. What is the best tire for this beast? I want an aggressive looking/good quality tire. I don't go mudding or off-roading....she doesn't even see gravel. I just like the looks of the more aggressive tire. Something that has good quality and will last.

Since you're running a HD truck, do not get a soft compound tire like a Nitto, BFG AT. They are great tires, but not for the HD trucks. Nitto I've seen 25K miles and they are pretty much done. BFGs are just too soft for the solid axle and I've seen many just cause issues. Some will say, oh, I've ran these for years. Yeah well. Buy a lotto ticket. I've been around these trucks since 2004, in many shops, and it's a huge issue. Not just for Ram, just solid front axle in general.

For HD applications, Toyos have been proven time and time again. AT or MT. They are work horses. I have friends with with MTs that have 50K on them and still rocking.

If you're looking for a aggressive tire, check out the RT from Toyo, it's a relatively
new tire and pretty aggressive if you don't want to go all out MT.

I'm not what tires you have now, but Ram has made it hard to adjust the TPMS, so if you've got 80\75PSI, most aftermarket tires will require 65, and you'll have that light on. Thankfully, I got mine reprogrammed before the change.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
long lasting,good m/t tires for a pavement queen? if you happen to find this unicorn,please post it,this is the holy grail of truck tires. m/t tires are not designed for this application.especially on an hd truck.they eat m/t tires.but i'm sure a lot of guys know a guy/ had a set of, etc.********.they don't exist.