Help! Make my ride better!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Am3gross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I have the 2500 6.4, it is completly stock. I dont haul enough of anything to say i do, and i have a small camper that i pull maybe 3 times a year. The reason i bought the truck was for the motor and i love the ram brand. How can i make the suspension have a better rid, it only has 6k miles on it. I can do most work myself as i am some what mechanically inclined. What would you do to make the ride better.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Empty or loaded?

Empty, start by airing down the tires.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

TSINND

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 2500 6.7
You bought a 3/4 ton truck. Its going to ride like a truck. Give it a little time and get some miles on it. It will loosen up a bit. Maybe look at a shock upgrade but your not going to change it much.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Let some air out of the tires. Seriously. I run 50 psi with 35x12.5x20 tires, stock suspension and no issues. Much better ride.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Throw about 1,000 - 1,500lbs of sandbags in the bed.

OP
OP
A

Am3gross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Let some air out of the tires. Seriously. I run 50 psi with 35x12.5x20 tires, stock suspension and no issues. Much better ride.

50 psi in all 4 tires.?

Also is the tire wear horrible?

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yep, all 4. Empty. I ran it at factory specs the first 1k with 35's and the outter lugs didnt ever touch the ground.

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
As said above, air down. I run a 4x4 CC short bed and I'm running 50/45 (50 psi front 45 in the rear). Makes a good difference. Still rides rough, but no where near as bad as it did when I drove it off the lot 65/75. It is a 3/4 ton after all.

I may try shocks later on, but right now I'm still playing with the air pressure. Others have said they are running at 45/40 and even 45/35 empty. I'll try 45/40 next. See if it effects mpg much.

If the ride of a 3/4 ton is too rough, you can always look for some soft ride coils like Thuren. They have 1" lift rear coils that are much softer ride. The only downside (if it's a downside for you) is they lower your load capacity to that of a 1500.

Last edited:

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
I agree let some air out of your tires.I got rid of the stock firestone tires & changed out the factory shocks to bilsteins.:happy107:

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
so because you bought a 3/4 ton truck, its supposed to ride bad? Why do people say this?

its 2017, the truck has a linked coil spring rear FFS. They ride terrible off the lot, theres no excuse for that regardless of "3/4 ton".

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
so because you bought a 3/4 ton truck, its supposed to ride bad? Why do people say this?

its 2017, the truck has a linked coil spring rear FFS. They ride terrible off the lot, theres no excuse for that regardless of "3/4 ton".

Something has to support the payload capacity, and that something is usually steel. Even with progressive rate springs, we can only do so much with what we currently know about physics and metallurgy. Yes we can make softer springs, but you lose capacity(as stated earlier).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

Ummm... yeah. The truck is designed to carry 3000 +/- lbs in the bed, it requires stronger springs to do that. When there isn't weight in the back, its going to ride a little more rough than a Cadillac. You need to buy the right tool for the job or be prepared to compromise.

If you buy a sledgehammer because you like the grips, don't be upset that it can't drive in a finishing nail. Buy a tack hammer if that's what you need and don't worry about the grips.

For what its worth, my Ram with the rear coils rides better than my previous half ton trucks and SUV's. Then again... I bought the 3/4 ton to haul a 9500lbs camper, not to take leisurely rides in a luxury vehicle...

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So you all dropping the tire pressures down low.....do you just live with the warning light since after mid 2015 it can no longer be re-programmed off.

OP
OP
A

Am3gross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Yeah i am gunna try letting some air out. I am currently out of state so it should be a good test on the way back home. Thanks everyone for the tips!

ramessesII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I run 60/45 with 35s and Thuren soft coils and trackbar. It is very comfortable and scary capable. Found a Prius stuck underneath there tonight -must have run over it this morning.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have the 2500 6.4, it is completly stock. I dont haul enough of anything to say i do, and i have a small camper that i pull maybe 3 times a year. The reason i bought the truck was for the motor and i love the ram brand. How can i make the suspension have a better rid, it only has 6k miles on it. I can do most work myself as i am some what mechanically inclined. What would you do to make the ride better.

Ram currently has one of the best riding 3/4 ton trucks out there. Our shop truck is a Chevy 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive & my truck rides much better than it. As most have already mentioned air pressure will make a significant difference. I run mine 55-60psi. Yes you have to live with the tire pressure light on but you quickly get used to it. With the rear tires at 55 I have hauled 1,400lbs & the tires did not bulge at all. I also have not noticed a drop in mpg & I can't tell that it is wearing the tire abnormally.
After these tires wear out I would love to find some 6-8 ply tires. I think this would improve the ride but still give me the performance I need. Just not sure if there is much to choose from in that size.
You are about at the mileage when I noticed mine loosening up a bit & ridding better as well.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
he never said he wanted it to ride like a Cadillac, he said he wanted to improve the ride. Typical simple minded responses. Good luck OP, air pressure and shocks are the biggest things as stated. For the money, bilstein 5100s are a favorite of mine but I haven't ran them on a 4th gen. And I have never run fox shocks on anything, a lot of people like those too. The stock shocks suck though, I think you will notice any set of aftermarket ones.

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I run 40 psi in my 37's for daily driving. Don't forget to air up when you tow! But yes, air pressure makes a huge difference in ride quality. I can't tell you how many post I've seen over the years where a guy installs a suspension lift and larger tires and then complains that the "lift kit" ruined his ride quality. Most of the time it's because they went from a P rated tire to a large E rated tire that the shop inflated to the maximum psi listed on the sidewall. It was the stiffer tire and insane air pressure that destroyed their ride quality!