Hitch sticking out too far......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
So, I got my hitch set up completed for my Mega Cab. As you know it has the 2 1/2" hitch. I am partial to the pintle mount and ball and decided to go with the 2 5/16" ball. The trailer I will tow most is a 10k# capacity dump trailer my brother has and will use occasionally. The other reason I have such a large setup is because I live in Socal and, well, we have a bunch of inconsiderate a-holes that drive and park. This will act as a "bumper" for those less skilled at parallel parking and those that forget to brake soon enough in stop and go traffic. Despite warnings I will also use it as a strap point if I ever had a need to pull,or be pulled out of a situation

Now, I don't want to be the inconsiderate a-hole to the people that walk by and break their knee on my hitch. This is one large hitch and stickes out a good bit. Is there a problem with the integrity or while towing if I were to drill a second pin hole in the male part about 3-4 inches deeper to suck the hitch in further? I don't think there would be any adverse effect but wanted to check.

image.jpg

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I would think it would actually make the setup a little stronger. That setup currently looks like it sticks out too far to me...

sylver91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Couldn't you just remove the hitch when not in use? If you're worried about people rear ending you or bad parking you could put in one of those hitch bumpers.

Also won't hurt drilling a hole, done this many times on my own. Remember that all 10k of weight is actually only held in place by that 5/8" pin which does break if you cheap out... Trust me.

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
:3681700201_eef6d1e2
Couldn't you just remove the hitch when not in use? If you're worried about people rear ending you or bad parking you could put in one of those hitch bumpers.

Also won't hurt drilling a hole, done this many times on my own. Remember that all 10k of weight is actually only held in place by that 5/8" pin which does break if you cheap out... Trust me.

Sbarron, my thoughts too on it sticking out too far. Would think it puts a lot of undue torque on the receiver.

Sylver91, I don't want to have to buy another accesory and being drive everyday, it wouldbe a PITA to remove and reinstall every time I drove it. I bought a locking hitch pin made to fit this size receiver. It seems pretty stout but did think of getting the appropriate sized grade 8 bolt and using that. Not sure what would be stronger.

sylver91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've bought cheap pins before, once at a gas station cause I lost mine somewhere. After towing my sleds to the cottage the pin was nearly bent in half.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can drill another hole and suck it in a bit. Just use the proper pin (go to an RV store or contact any of the hitch manufacturers, like Reese) but just remember, it's gonna stick out there regardless.

I'd pull it in a bit just to reduce forces on the tube that sticks out there so far.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here is my "bumper". Its for that dizzy broad who is texting and not paying attention :)
I was using it on my old bumper pull TH. But now I have a andersen ultimate fifth wheel .

So, I got my hitch set up completed for my Mega Cab. As you know it has the 2 1/2" hitch. I am partial to the pintle mount and ball and decided to go with the 2 5/16" ball. The trailer I will tow most is a 10k# capacity dump trailer my brother has and will use occasionally. The other reason I have such a large setup is because I live in Socal and, well, we have a bunch of inconsiderate a-holes that drive and park. This will act as a "bumper" for those less skilled at parallel parking and those that forget to brake soon enough in stop and go traffic. Despite warnings I will also use it as a strap point if I ever had a need to pull,or be pulled out of a situation

Now, I don't want to be the inconsiderate a-hole to the people that walk by and break their knee on my hitch. This is one large hitch and stickes out a good bit. Is there a problem with the integrity or while towing if I were to drill a second pin hole in the male part about 3-4 inches deeper to suck the hitch in further? I don't think there would be any adverse effect but wanted to check.

View attachment 51010

Attachments

• IMAG0193.jpg
    IMAG0193.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 179

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I think you will be ok to drill a new hole closer to the ball mount, just make sure you have suffecent edge distance, you said 3-4 inches up witch should be suffecent. I would do it.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Heck, just paint it a bright fluorescent color (yellow, orange) and leave it. :) That way, you can say, "It's not my fault you weren't paying attention". :D

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
I always run a hitch after on my 07 a Prius thought it was a good place to stop. Went right through the front bumper into the radiator. When the tow truck pulled her off it took the whole radiator out still stuck to my hitch. Hitch is $50 new bumper $$$!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I take my hitch out for 2 reasons.
1) ease of fit I the garage
2) my shin always finds the damn thing when I'm walking around the truck. Ouch!

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel
I leave mine on at all times, and I have a couple scars to prove it! Suck it in and call it good.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963