How many of yall use your truck for work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I quit my job of 8 years driving a cummins diesel company truck and started my own business. I now use my 6.4 daily driver as a work Truck. I'm a carpenter and pull a 12 foot dump trailer (3700 pounds empty) and haul a lot of tools and lumber. I guess I'm gonna see how the 6.4 does as a daily mule now.

How do you guys keep organized and clean? I'm gonna order a set of "decked" bed drawers soon and already have a tractor supply toolbox . I should be able to keep most of my tool stored in the truck at all times secured. I'm trying to keep the cab more organized and it's hard.

Let's see how you guys do it. I know most guys on here use their trucks for campers and boats but let's see the work trucks.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I use my 6.4 to commute to my full time job. stop and go traffic.

Then when I'm done with that, I use the same 6.4 for my second, not so full time job, pulling a 2500 lb flat bed trailer. Mostly construction materials, lumber, gravel, etc. I leave no tools on or in my truck. can't afford the loss, seems the local low lives are good at breaking into just about all types of bed boxes, tool boxes, etc.

DaKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I use my crew cab 2500 Laramie for work. I'm Computer / Tech Consultant. So I have computers, servers, racks and other items in the truck. My last truck (also a 2500 Crew) had cloth seats. This one has leather seats, so I'm afraid to rip them. Now, I keep the fold out floor open most of the time. I'm going to try and only keep one side down most of the time.

I have a deep tool box in the bed. I bought plastic boxes with lids to store parts and stuff. Then put those in the tool box. It makes organization much easier. I also use 2 milk crates in that tool box, again to store items.

I store the fire extinguisher under the driver seat. Jack and small amount of hand tools in one of the floor storage bins. I store first aid kit in the other bin.

I got a plastic box 9X10 for document storage. But, usually paper stuff finds its way on top of the passenger seat.

Sadly, there have been times where I can't fit any passengers. That is why I'm trying better organization.

Something I'm thinking of doing is getting another tool box, and putting at end of bed. So the tailgate blocks it. One of those boxes where it opens on the side, not the top. Tractor supply sells em. Anyway, I'm thinking I could use it to store computers and other equipment.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I run a home inspection business so I use my truck for work but with a pretty light load of tools. Basically, a folding ladder and some Rubbermaid bins of various tools. The bins work great for organization, water-proofing (soft toneau cover) and ease or removal to drop the 5th wheel hitch in/out.

If I ever got really motivated I'd come up with a way to get all my work stuff to fit in around the 5th wheel hitch. Although, I do regularly use my truck for other stuff that the hitch would need to be removed for - dump runs, furniture moving, etc.

OP
OP
I

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I run a home inspection business so I use my truck for work but with a pretty light load of tools. Basically, a folding ladder and some Rubbermaid bins of various tools. The bins work great for organization, water-proofing (soft toneau cover) and ease or removal to drop the 5th wheel hitch in/out.

If I ever got really motivated I'd come up with a way to get all my work stuff to fit in around the 5th wheel hitch. Although, I do regularly use my truck for other stuff that the hitch would need to be removed for - dump runs, furniture moving, etc.

I use cheap bins right now for alot of stuff too. Right about keeping them with a tonneau cover but that decked system is calling my name.

I keep straps and my rain gear in the floor compartments. First aid, jumper cables and gloves etc under back seat. I need something for papers, invoices and plans.

Joji91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my first new truck this year. I use it for gardening since day 1 almost 8k miles in just 4 months. I try to wash it and clean the inside every week and so far I have not scratched it at all or dirty the inside. I do have seat covers though.

Attachments

• 20160912_142402.jpg
    20160912_142402.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 69

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My situation is a bit different than yours. I haul a 7x14 enclosed that I have tricked out for tools and materials of all types. My truck has Ram Boxes, so I do keep some stuff in there. I also got a hard roll up cover for the bed so any of my tools in there will be secure (it locks) and mostly water free in rain or snow. I have the 6.4 with 30k on it working from day one and the truck loves it. I also have leather seats, but clean them often and apply a leather cleaner and conditioner. I do well to brush and blow the dirt of of me each day and that goes a long way towards keeping the cab clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joji91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ouch, that sounds like chores. My in cab cleaning only takes me about 15 mins I can't imagine how long yours take.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wanted power, comfort and off road abilities. My truck hasn't worked a day in its life.

Sent from the fetal position using Tapatalk

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Ask 6.4 Dude. He uses his 6.4L as a work/personal truck towing some pretty heavy loads on a regular basis. If I am not mistaken, he already has over 110k on the clock too. Maybe he can chime in or you can IM him.

I don't see why your truck wouldn't last. After all, that is why it is an HD that was purposely built for work. Everything except for the engine and rear suspension has a long history of lasting in a work environment. Both of those were new in 2014 and besides a few hiccups on the 6.4L early on, it has been a reliable iron block HD engine for the most part. I don't see why it won't at least last you 200k in a work environment as long as you maintain it properly.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I use my crew cab 2500 Laramie for work. I'm Computer / Tech Consultant. So I have computers, servers, racks and other items in the truck. My last truck (also a 2500 Crew) had cloth seats. This one has leather seats, so I'm afraid to rip them. Now, I keep the fold out floor open most of the time. I'm going to try and only keep one side down most of the time.

I thought I was the only one that did this. The flat floor is awesome for RM servers. When I pull up in a 2500 people look at me like I am the mutant of tech guys. I am sure they expected a prius or something.

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Mine's a part-time hay-hauler. I have a front-mounted hitch under the bumper for driving the trailer into tight spots, and keep an assortment of hitches in the bin behind the seat. If I'm doing any carpentry work around the farm or helping a friend, I either toss the tools in the passenger side footwell, or in the bed. I have a full-width weathertech all-weather floor mat that makes it fairly easy to keep clean. Still have to vacuum out the chaff from time-to-time.

es

2016_ram-hay.jpg

2016_oatbalesontruck.jpg

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i carry my camper and have all my extra camping crap in the back seat area 7/ 8 months of the year. also pull my boat every weekend when the camper's on.i don't use it for work but i work it.

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I drive mine to my IT job daily, however, the summer is full of home projects for either my house or my mom's house that I take care of as well. Dump runs, pellet loads for pellet stove, mulch, etc.. Could probably do all the work with a 1500 and air bags, but why when you can have an HD....

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Converted a truck bed camper into a workshop and it lives on the truck. 2k loaded and has been on for 18k of 20k-ish miles. Truck still has too much power around the turns thanks to my rather disobedient right foot. And we pull the house behind us (#9400) every few days/weeks depending on the schedule.

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

OP
OP
I

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Tired of being unorganized. ordering a decked bed system tonight along with a Duluth trading company cab commander for files, plans, and invoices. I'm also looking at ladder racks. Decided to finally commit to the truck being more for work than play.