How much 5th wheel can I haul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
My RV is almost 14k loaded and it pulls the trailer no different than my cousins 2013 3500. It is not as stable as a DRW, but is more able to handle it. Power wise, it is tuned and deleted so no issues there.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I towed my 40' Sprinter 5th wheel that stands 13'4" for about a three hour trip a few weeks ago. This camper is a wind sail!!! My truck has the 6.4 with 4.10's and I'll never do that again.

Towing in the 55pmh speed zones were...ok. The wind was pushing my 2500 all over the road. My camper weighs around 14k fully loaded so there is more weight back there than up front and it was dictating where my truck went.

Now expressways- no way!! Excelerating on the entrance ramp with any incline wasn't happening. So a mile later when I'm approaching 55pmh (in a 70 zone) it felt ok. When I throttled up to 60mph...hell no! It felt like my truck wanted to leave the transmission on the pavement. (I was using the hemifever tow tune and I had the truck in tow mode)

That's the last trip pulling our brand new camper with this truck. It's time for a 1ton diesel
No offense but what did you really expect out of a gas truck pulling 14k? Sure it is within the tow capacity but if that is your camper you will be towing on a consistent basis there is no way that would ever be fun or economical.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

tojo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I towed my 40' Sprinter 5th wheel that stands 13'4" for about a three hour trip a few weeks ago. This camper is a wind sail!!! My truck has the 6.4 with 4.10's and I'll never do that again.

Towing in the 55pmh speed zones were...ok. The wind was pushing my 2500 all over the road. My camper weighs around 14k fully loaded so there is more weight back there than up front and it was dictating where my truck went.

Now expressways- no way!! Excelerating on the entrance ramp with any incline wasn't happening. So a mile later when I'm approaching 55pmh (in a 70 zone) it felt ok. When I throttled up to 60mph...hell no! It felt like my truck wanted to leave the transmission on the pavement. (I was using the hemifever tow tune and I had the truck in tow mode)

That's the last trip pulling our brand new camper with this truck. It's time for a 1ton diesel
Exactly why I'm trading my 2500 6.4 MegaCab SRW on a 3500 MegaCab DRW with a Cummins

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk