I need diagnosis!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2015 CC 2500 4x4 6.4L HEMI with 14,500 miles. It's been having the issue a while but it's way more often now. The truck (usually when accelerating up hill or accelerating after making a slight turn, right or left, at light throttle) starts lurching/stuttering like it's not getting gas or something until it finally catches and the rpms take off. (It does it with mds on, with it turned off by manually shifting to +6 or + 5, and also with it turned off using tow/haul.). I can't figure it out. It's usually at lower speeds. And like said above its usually on incline. But has happened at least once on flat.

I really can't figure it out.

Only mods are front leveling kit, 18 inch magnaflow, no designator, and K&N filter replacement.

It's really upsetting. I've owned this truck 8 months and I can't keep it out of the dealership service department.

Thanks for any info you can give.

SupermanWV

kry226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Couple things...

Obviously, have someone check the fuel pump/filter.

Less obviously, I was working on a 2002 V6 Mustang about 12 years ago that had a similar issue to yours but never noticed whether incline affected. The problem ended up being a Fram air filter someone had installed that was incorrectly sized and sometimes never sealed correctly. I guess the computer was catching heck trying to keep the A/F straight.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Have you taken it in? I'm interested in the outcome. Good luck.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If the K&N is a wet filter and the 6.4 Hemi uses a mass air flow sensor, that may be an issue, just grabbing at straws here.

You can get a Bluetooth OBDII dongle and an app for a smart phone that will let you see many vehicle parameters, one of them is fuel rail pressure and diagnostic trouble codes. DTCs don't always light up a dash indicator.

That's all I got.

SlightlyTweaked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI VVT
I had a bad torque converter in my 2014 and did same thing. Never threw a code until 18000 miles and would clear quick. Have it checked out under warranty

OP
OP
S

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It goes in on February 4th.

The K&N is a wet filter. But the truck had the issue before it actually. Just not as often as it does now.

How would I know if it's the torque converter?

To me it seems like rpms drop low like starving for gas when my foot is light on the throttle. And if I accelerate quick after that it jerks around until rpms raise and engine revs up. And my foot is throttle down at least half way during whole process. If I let off it would probably stop jerking/choking. If that is what's happening.

SupermanWV

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have this exact problem, I just wish it would get worse and finally quit so I can take it in and have it fixed, because otherwise I will get the standard "no problem found" when I take it in.
The problem seems to be getting a little worse though. I first suspected the torque converter but at the same time it feels like it could be a misfire too.

kry226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
It goes in on February 4th.

The K&N is a wet filter. But the truck had the issue before it actually. Just not as often as it does now.

How would I know if it's the torque converter?

To me it seems like rpms drop low like starving for gas when my foot is light on the throttle. And if I accelerate quick after that it jerks around until rpms raise and engine revs up. And my foot is throttle down at least half way during whole process. If I let off it would probably stop jerking/choking. If that is what's happening.

SupermanWV

If it were me, I would put a stock filter back in before I took it to the dealer for service. YMMV.

Soldier of The Law

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does the same thing. Usually after I get off the highway and slow to merge on a 45* turn. Shakes so bad feels like wheel hop, but it's not. I was thinking the TC also and just want it to blow up so they can fix it. 20k miles and seems to be getting worse.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine does the same thing. Usually after I get off the highway and slow to merge on a 45* turn. Shakes so bad feels like wheel hop, but it's not. I was thinking the TC also and just want it to blow up so they can fix it. 20k miles and seems to be getting worse.

Sounds like something up with your rear end. Something binding, not letting the 2 sides rotate at different speeds.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sounds like something up with your rear end. Something binding, not letting the 2 sides rotate at different speeds.
No, the turn is an example, if you come to a stop and take off it is fine, but if you just slow down and accelerate without it kicking down it acts up.

OP
OP
S

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think it's the rear end. I really don't think torque converter either. Could be MAF sensor. The whole K&N oil could be jacking the sensor up.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, the turn is an example, if you come to a stop and take off it is fine, but if you just slow down and accelerate without it kicking down it acts up.

I was replying to S.o.t.L. and his description.

Generally I try to stay away from threads like this, because without at least video of what is happening we are all just guessing and does nothing to actually diagnose the issue.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I was replying to S.o.t.L. and his description.

Generally I try to stay away from threads like this, because without at least video of what is happening we are all just guessing and does nothing to actually diagnose the issue.
I know, but mine has the same problem so I know what he is describing. The problem is getting it to act up while it is in the possession of the dealer.
I don't think it's the rear end. I really don't think torque converter either. Could be MAF sensor. The whole K&N oil could be jacking the sensor up.
Doubtful, mine had the problem long before I got my k&n.

OP
OP
S

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the 6.4L HEMI have a MAF sensor or does it use something else?

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
if this were a carburetor vehicle, I would suspect faulty ignition, or a vacuum leak, or bad accelerator pump, or low float level, etc, etc. No codes? If there are no codes, the best I can come up with is run some fuel system cleaner thru it.
You have a warranty, right? Its interesting to speculate, but I don't have the magic solution, I suggest you use your warranty/ dealer to solve this one.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Deleted

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like I said, it goes in to dealer on the 4th of February. I just want to have some info to give them. I really don't trust the service department. They're parts replacers, not diagnosers. I tried to go to another dealership in my area but they gave me the " you didn't buy it here, it'll be a month or so before we can get you in for service ". ****** my chain a little, so I'll probably never visit that dealership again.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hate to say it, but all warranty work is "parts replacer" work. If it doesn't throw s code or able to reproduce nothing gets done because the manufacturers won't reimburse.