Insane 6.4 MPG...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Yep..... and I smile ear to ear every time. I'd be pissed too if I spent 7K more for a truck than I needed to :roflsquared::roflsquared:

Sorry, I know I shouldn't feed the trolls but I just can't resist. The Hemi-bashing BS just gets to be too much to handle in here. Get a grip folks.... it's a truck and we're talking about fuel mileage. People are just posting to share some good info. Enough with "I bought a diesel I am god" crap.

Not one person who posted here owns a diesel besides Drittal(which surprises me) and I don't think his post came off as "I bought a diesel I am god". So I don't know where this
comment is coming from.

People thinking EVIC mpg is BS is not a diesel or gas thing. It generally shows 1-3 mpg greater than hand calculated all across the board for a lot of Ram HD owners regardless of their engine. For those people, I can understand why they doubt EVIC numbers when they see them posted.

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want 456" gears to get my mds to activate more at hwy speeds so when my evic shows 26-28 I can think I'm getting at least 20 for most of the trip

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
For what it's worth, my last 295 miles hand calc'd to 18.38 mpg. 1700 pounds in the bed for half of it, 700 for the other half. Average highway speed was 68-70.

That is good mileage. Is that normal or just a one off situation?

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
How is everyone getting this MPG? I call BS as I can barely get double digits.

Now with diesel I average 18 to 24.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Well I usually never drive that much traffic free highway mileage. And I usually drive in the 75-77 range on the highway. But if I were to do that same 295 miles again in the same fashion, assuming no strong winds, I'd bet money I could get 18 ever time.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
In my personal experience with the 6.4L, the longer and steadier the trip the better the fuel economy will be and the closer the EVIC will be to hand calculated. The more off/on cycles and stop and go driving the worse the mpgs will be for me, which is to be expected. It drops off the table pretty quickly.

When my wife drives the 6.4L up to the cabin (225 miles each way) she can get her leg of the drive to 16.2-16.5mpg hand calc'd but if I drive the same leg and don't specifically baby it I will be at least 1 mpg lower. Driving habits, she pulls away from a stop like she is always towing horses......drive like you have a hot bowl of soup in your lap.....

Wind on my rig make a big difference. It has the aerodynamics of a dumpster and fatter tires than stock. I towed to a horse show this weekend and had a tropical storm induced 14-20mph head wind......truck sat in 4th gear until I manually took over. The headwind really caused me to burn some fuel, that is where I notice the big difference between my old diesels and the gasser.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
In my personal experience with the 6.4L, the longer and steadier the trip the better the fuel economy will be and the closer the EVIC will be to hand calculated. The more off/on cycles and stop and go driving the worse the mpgs will be for me, which is to be expected. It drops off the table pretty quickly.

When my wife drives the 6.4L up to the cabin (225 miles each way) she can get her leg of the drive to 16.2-16.5mpg hand calc'd but if I drive the same leg and don't specifically baby it I will be at least 1 mpg lower. Driving habits, she pulls away from a stop like she is always towing horses......drive like you have a hot bowl of soup in your lap.....

Wind on my rig make a big difference. It has the aerodynamics of a dumpster and fatter tires than stock. I towed to a horse show this weekend and had a tropical storm induced 14-20mph head wind......truck sat in 4th gear until I manually took over. The headwind really caused me to burn some fuel, that is where I notice the big difference between my old diesels and the gasser.

Our trucks are like bricks when cutting through the air. I do fairly well up to 65 mph and then wind resistance takes its toll. When I am pulling the RV it really starts sucking the gas over 55 mph.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Our trucks are like bricks when cutting through the air. I do fairly well up to 65 mph and then wind resistance takes its toll. When I am pulling the RV it really starts sucking the gas over 55 mph.

Another thing that gets over looked is the road itself. My fuel mileage will drop considerably depending on the roads surface. On my trip Rockport on weekends, 75% of my way is on smooth asphalt highway while 25% is on rough chipseal road. Doing 75 mph on chipseal and my mileage hovers at 17-18 mpg (per EVIC) in flat roads. The second I jump on the smooth asphalt portion of the trip, my mileage will jump to 20-23 mpg(per EVIC) doing the same speeds and maybe a little faster.

Last edited:

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Suburban driving I get 12-13 mpg but that is with a feather foot on the gas peddle.
I haven't done enough highway driving to know that.

I consider driving like entertainment, so the mpg doesn't bother me too much. Also, I'm retired.

I wouldn't get a 1500 (I have a 2500 for towing) if I were driving to/from a job.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
To the O.P.'s original post

my truck will show the same numbers on the highway when I get out of the hilly areas. it even broke 20 one time...

but I go 67 on the highway

Last edited:

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another thing that gets over looked is the road itself. My fuel mileage will drop considerably depending on the roads surface. On my trip Rockport on weekends, 75% of my way is on smooth asphalt highway while 25% is on rough chipseal road. Doing 75 mph on chipseal and my mileage hovers at 17-18 mpg (per EVIC) in flat roads. The second I jump on the smooth asphalt portion of the trip, my mileage will jump to 20-23 mpg(per EVIC) doing the same speeds and maybe a little faster.
We only have chip seal or concrete around here. Very little plain asphalt, and if there is its fresh waiting on chip. Maybe because we have long winters? Dunno.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Y'all can't *****. My 2g has half the power and half the mileage you 6.4s have.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We really are spoiled now with the power and economy! My 07 f150 5.4 was luck to break 16 on the read out!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
How is everyone getting this MPG? I call BS as I can barely get double digits.

Now with diesel I average 18 to 24.
Any pics of your diesel rig? :naughty:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just took a longer trip with my truck, cruise set at 72 for 2/3 of the trip 62 for the rest and averaged 13.9... Evic read 15.4. I was hoping to at least get 14.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
In town i get 12-13 with normal easy driving( EVIC). But if im SUPER easy on her i can get the evic to read just over 14 when in town. You have to really really try to do it though. Not easy to do.

If i get slightly excited AT ALL when driving in town it drops down to 10-11 mpg real fast.

Last edited:

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
On a recent 150 mile round trip, saw 17.1 on the EVIC, IRL was 15.5 or so..