Level - Do I need springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maxsteel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
One of my factory tires blew out on my 20k mile 2015 2500 Cummins, so it's time to upgrade the tires/wheels and finally do the level. I settled on 295/70/18 Nitto Terra Grappler G2s for tires. I asked the shop to look into Bilstein 5100s for the level. At first they said I needed springs, but then came back and said I didn't. So, two questions:

1. Do I need new springs? The idea is to set the front end to 2.1 to keep a bit of rake.

2. Are the Bilstein 5100s the right choice for the 2500? I went with it because I read a lot about them when I owned my 1500, seemed to be the go-to leveling shock. But I've read a lot about Thuren and Fox here on the HD forum.

Thanks in advance.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need new leveling springs or a spacer. The 1500 has a completely different front suspension than the 2500.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
2500 does not use the strut front suspension. A 2500 has a solid front axle and a set of coil springs.

Leveling is actually way easier on a 2500 than a 1500. You can look into a level spacer and shock extenders if you want to do it on the cheap. I actually have a used one in my garage if you're interested. I'll sell for just the cost of shipping to you.

And unlike a 1500, you have a TON more options for level, like different springs/shock combos. Which can give you an COMPLETELY better ride.

If you want to level and have a better ride, look into Thuren Springs and his Overlander shocks. Great way to level and gives you a soft ride.

Ghetto Fab.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS!
Depends how much you want to spend.

If you just want it level, get a spacer.

If you want a better ride, get new springs with shocks that are tuned to them.

Bilsteins are good shocks, but if they aren't tuned to the springs in the truck its going to be a crap shoot as to how it will feel.

Kevin

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
tufftruck has a wide variety of levelling springs in several different spring rates.although it's marginal at best for improving the ride on our hd trucks to make them anywhere near "comfortable".

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
Not to hijack the OPs thread, but has anyone leveled their 2500 using OEM parts (say Power Wagon coils/track bar)?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Water boy -
Yes there is a member who has used power wagon equip to lvl his truck - I don't remember his name- Just start a new thread like " Upgrading to power wagon parts " and I am sure they will chime in.

OP
OP
M

maxsteel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Thanks for the info. So if the shop dude is telling me he can do the bils level without springs, is he smoking crack? Seems I should just order the springs anyways.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im on the fence about either going spacers or full spring replacement. Its going to be a work truck so I'm not concerned about it riding like a car and I only have 700 miles on it so its kinda hard to just throw out brand new shocks and springs. I may install a spacer kit with the shock relo bracket and see how that goes. If I end up liking it then ill just add a ATB later on.

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
Water boy -
Yes there is a member who has used power wagon equip to lvl his truck - I don't remember his name- Just start a new thread like " Upgrading to power wagon parts " and I am sure they will chime in.
Cheers! Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
M

maxsteel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Finally got the level done and wheels on, I think it turned out pretty good.

thirstybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
2500 does not use the strut front suspension. A 2500 has a solid front axle and a set of coil springs.

Leveling is actually way easier on a 2500 than a 1500. You can look into a level spacer and shock extenders if you want to do it on the cheap. I actually have a used one in my garage if you're interested. I'll sell for just the cost of shipping to you.

And unlike a 1500, you have a TON more options for level, like different springs/shock combos. Which can give you an COMPLETELY better ride.

If you want to level and have a better ride, look into Thuren Springs and his Overlander shocks. Great way to level and gives you a soft ride.

It is easier to go with spacers but I'm having front tire cupping on brand new Nittos. IVe been unhappy with the set up. I looked in to 3" Carli front springs but I was told I would need an adjustable track bar, radius drops and a Fox or King shock to get it right.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is easier to go with spacers but I'm having front tire cupping on brand new Nittos. IVe been unhappy with the set up. I looked in to 3" Carli front springs but I was told I would need an adjustable track bar, radius drops and a Fox or King shock to get it right.

who told you that? the only time you really need the radius drops are if you go bigger than 3" you only need the ATB with the 3" coils and obviously an alignment

thirstybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
who told you that? the only time you really need the radius drops are if you go bigger than 3" you only need the ATB with the 3" coils and obviously an alignment

A dude named Radio at Carli Suspensions.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's odd bc I talked to Don at thuren and he referred me to an article on the thuren website that states you don't need any other mods with their 3" kits. So you will be fine. But if you want to do the radius drops then you can. Its not a necessity.