Level w/ 35 Build Double Check

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zflat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
After a couple of months of research I am about to start pulling the trigger on parts for my minor build. There is a wealth of knowledge here on the site and a lot of times it gets confusing for those of us with less experience. I'd like to share what my plans are and if I'm going to have problems I'd appreciate being steered in the right direction.

I have a 2016 2500 Tradesman CC 4x4 with 6.4 Hemi and 3.73 gears and just over 20k miles. I pull a 4000 lb boat, single axle enclosed trailer, and 9-10000 lb travel trailer w WD hitch. I want to comfortably and safely be able to tow (esp the travel trailer) while on 35s and leveled. Here's the direction I'm planning:

Front:
2.5 inch Rouch Country Level
Bilstein 5100 shocks

Rear:
Firestone 5000 OR Loadlifter 5000 depending on sales/ rebates I can find
Bilstein 5100 shocks (are these worth it for the ride quality or would it be a waste of money? I don't see many people talking about the Bilstiens in the rear)

Tires:
Either Nitto Terra G2, Nitto Ridge, or Toyo Open Country A/T in 35x12.5x18 depending on price when I buy. Local shop tried to upsell me on F rated tires but further research tells me E rated in any of those 3 will be plenty.

Wheels:
This is where I'm most confused. I know I want 18x9s bc I've found them to be cheaper for both the wheels and tires, and they'd offer better ride quality than 20s and 17s are hit or miss with the brakes on the 2500s. The local shop has told me that anything with a 0 or greater offset will work and suggested somewhere around a 18. I don't want them sticking out too far, but if I want to go 37s in the future I want them to work. Also, what do I need to look out for as far as towing capability in wheels?

Let me know if I'm going to run into problems with this setup or any other information you can provide. Also, if you've got a level and 35s, especially on a silver HD I'd love to see pics!

zonacats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I will tell you my experiance, which is probably different from most.

2016 2500, with 6.4, 4x4 CC

When the truck was stock i pulled my 9500 toyhauler (loaded up) with very little issues.

I intalled a 1.5 inch level in the front, and put 285x75R18 Nitto Terra G2 (34.83 inches) on the stock wheels.

I immediatly noticed a difference in towing. It seemed like i was all over the road, constently fighting with it, and have much more sway and wondering in the lane. Nothing else with my set up changed, so i can only assume it was the tires.

I lowered my hitch an inch to make up for the increased tire height... no change.

Ive somewhat gotten used to it, but my towing experiance is no where near as pleasant as it was stock. I also noticed a drop in available power going up hills.

Empty, just cruising around town... i love it. Lost about 1-2 mpg, but it looks great.

Just my experiance.

OP
OP
Z

zflat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I will tell you my experiance, which is probably different from most.

2016 2500, with 6.4, 4x4 CC

When the truck was stock i pulled my 9500 toyhauler (loaded up) with very little issues.

I intalled a 1.5 inch level in the front, and put 285x75R18 Nitto Terra G2 (34.83 inches) on the stock wheels.

I immediatly noticed a difference in towing. It seemed like i was all over the road, constently fighting with it, and have much more sway and wondering in the lane. Nothing else with my set up changed, so i can only assume it was the tires.

I lowered my hitch an inch to make up for the increased tire height... no change.

Ive somewhat gotten used to it, but my towing experiance is no where near as pleasant as it was stock. I also noticed a drop in available power going up hills.

Empty, just cruising around town... i love it. Lost about 1-2 mpg, but it looks great.

Just my experiance.

Thanks for the info! I'm hoping to avoid that issue with the airbags. Have you considered them?

Also, did the 1.5 completely level you out or leave some rake? Any rubbing? Do you have any pics, it sounds like what I'm hoping to achieve looks wise.

zonacats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I dont have any pics on my new phone. I will try and get some. The 1.5 left alittle rake, which is what i wanted since i mostly use the truck to tow the toyhauler, and its heavy on the tongue. I think it looks great unloaded. I was going for a look that the truck could have come from the factory this way. And i didnt want the nose high when towing. Its prefectfully level when im hooked up.

No rubbing at all, not even close.

I dont want airbags, but i am going to be putting on at least one sway controll to see if that settles it down.

zonacats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here are some pictures

Attachments

• 20170311_162335.jpg
    20170311_162335.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20170320_180629.jpg
    20170320_180629.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 20170430_171017.jpg
    20170430_171017.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 70

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I haul a 3500 lb in bed camper on 35s, 305/70/18. No problems here, just mash on the go pedal a bit more.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If ur gonna do it skip the spacer and just get the thuren spring lvling kit for the front- Bilstiens are fine and for aftermarket quite a few people run them or the fox. Now for wheels 17"s fit - the shop just has to know where to place the weights to clear the calipers. Now as far as towing goes - sure it seems like it tows great in factory form for what it is - but once u start adding tire size your towing will suffer a little- " if ur not towing in a hurry you will be fine" I have done a ton of research my self on the way I would like to go with my truck and the thuren website is extremely helpful- also check out jcj offroad they do a **** load of hd trucks and have a plethra of info and a quick call to them and they can point u in the right direction as well- They also have a ton of pics of trucks they have done and you can get an idea of wheels and offset- a 0 offset is gonna stick that tire out pretty good as stock we are -50? I think? I can't remember- but Deff check out their site and look at the truck pics in the blog section- tons of 4th gens. Something to keep in mind the whole point of the carli system is to be able to tow and off road with it- everyone has different opinions- keep us posted

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
9-10K travel trailer with 35s and 3.73 gears? Unless it's completely flat with no wind, your tow won't be very pleasant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Z

zflat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
9-10K travel trailer with 35s and 3.73 gears? Unless it's completely flat with no wind, your tow won't be very pleasant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, a regear may be further down the road, especially if I ever decide to step up to 37s. I only tow it once a month or so, and I don't see 1.5 inches of rubber completely killing my power, although I am aware I'll take a hit.

OP
OP
Z

zflat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here are some pictures

Dang man, that's gorgeous. Definitely the look I'm going for. Are you running spacers? Do the tires stick out past the wheel wells? I may be able to save some $$ and stick with the stock wheels for a while. I didn't expect it to look so good.

zonacats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No wheel spacers, just 285x75r18 on stock tradesmen wheels. I am really happy with the look. I also wanted wheels, but i couldnt afford to drop the money or both wheels and tires at once.

They dont stick out at all. I really like it because it looks more aggressive but its not obvious the anything was done to it. Almost looks factory.

I will try and get some side pictures of the tires when i get home.

zonacats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here are some pictures down the side

Attachments

• 20170609_144346.jpg
    20170609_144346.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 20170609_144446.jpg
    20170609_144446.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
Z

zflat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here are some pictures down the side

That sir is sexy. Thank you! Thinking I may be changing directions a bit! Saving a little bit of money too!

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A level spacer kit will work just fine you'll maintain stock ride. My brother is running a 2" spacer with 20x10s with -25 offset and 35x12.5 mud tires. Had a little rubbing so trimmed some plastic. Had about .5" of rake. He added the bags bc we haul at least 800lbs all the time. His is a CTD I have a 6.4 with a 2.5" spacer level kit and it made it almost dead level. I'm running 20x12s with 305/55s and I needed minimal trimming as well. In my opinion it doesn't feel worse going from 18s to 20s in my opinion it feels better. Might be because the tires are so wide but they definitely feel better than the 18s

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

webdogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC Laramie Longhorn
Engine
6.4L Hemi
If ur gonna do it skip the spacer and just get the thuren spring lvling kit for the front- Bilstiens are fine and for aftermarket quite a few people run them or the fox. Now for wheels 17"s fit - the shop just has to know where to place the weights to clear the calipers. Now as far as towing goes - sure it seems like it tows great in factory form for what it is - but once u start adding tire size your towing will suffer a little- " if ur not towing in a hurry you will be fine" I have done a ton of research my self on the way I would like to go with my truck and the thuren website is extremely helpful- also check out jcj offroad they do a **** load of hd trucks and have a plethra of info and a quick call to them and they can point u in the right direction as well- They also have a ton of pics of trucks they have done and you can get an idea of wheels and offset- a 0 offset is gonna stick that tire out pretty good as stock we are -50? I think? I can't remember- but Deff check out their site and look at the truck pics in the blog section- tons of 4th gens. Something to keep in mind the whole point of the carli system is to be able to tow and off road with it- everyone has different opinions- keep us posted

Stock offset is a positive 56. Definitely not negative.