looking at purchasing new 2500 6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just went down this road. Have you test driven the Ford yet? The 6.2 is a dog compared to the 6.4L. It'll get the job done, but I was really disappointed in it. Haven't pulled the trigger on anything, but I just couldn't get past that. Even driving around town during the test drive the tach had to climb like crazy to keep up with stop and go traffic. Yeah, I get it's a 3/4 ton and more than 7000lbs unloaded, but you should at the very least be able to keep it moving reasonably. This is likely the reason everyone is complaining so much about it's mileage even unloaded. It has to live in the mid to upper RPM range to do anything at all. On the highway once it got moving it was ok, but when we got into it to get it up to speed, it made all kinds of racket, tach in the stratosphere, but really didn't get moving any better. The F250 had the 3.73. Maybe a contributing factor- 4.30s would likely improve it a bit. The Ram did as well though, and it sure pulled it's own weight a lot better.

So, we weighed the pros and cons, and we are waiting until Ford does the refresh on the Super Duty to see what they change. Interior for us was pretty blah... couldn't get past that either.

Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

katoom400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the same tundra and similar trailer setup. I ended up ordering a ram 2500 6.4 with 3.73. I tow through the Adirondacks the 3.73 gets it done but I probably would go 410 if did again. I got a ton of small options on tradesman crew for 37 otd. So far if been happy stop and go kills has milage but backroads or highways the milage shoots up to 16-17 range. I added 5.0 touchscreen backup sensors/cam. Fifth wheel prep chrome heated power tow mirrors etc etc. I love the truck although paint is kinda ****** I have songs already but hey it's only perfect for short amount of time

That seems to be the general consensus with the gears: "the 3.73's get the job done but if I could do it over again I would get the 4.10's". For me I'm sure the 3.73's would be "fine", but I think the 4.10's will serve me better.

tell me more about the paint? you are not the first to mention that.

bluefishgary

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hi I have a2015 6.4 CC DRW with the 3.73 love it. Towed my
enclosed car trailer at 8,000 lbs. Fuel mileage 9.5 hand cal. I only tow about 5 times a year
but have a 50 mile trip to work so any extra fuel mileage is good. The dealer had a 4.10
But the truck will take tow over12,000 lbs so I saw no need.to get the 4.10. Its only .37 difference .
Fuel mileage with out trailer is about 13.8 and I good with that.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Just towed a 5k boat with 3.73 through hilly backroads and averaged 11.5 hand calculated which is around even a little higher than my average around town mpg..3.73s are fine but 4.10s just makes more sense in these trucks unless you run 65+ down the highway unloaded constantly

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
I just went down this road. Have you test driven the Ford yet? The 6.2 is a dog compared to the 6.4L. It'll get the job done, but I was really disappointed in it. Haven't pulled the trigger on anything, but I just couldn't get past that. Even driving around town during the test drive the tach had to climb like crazy to keep up with stop and go traffic. Yeah, I get it's a 3/4 ton and more than 7000lbs unloaded, but you should at the very least be able to keep it moving reasonably. This is likely the reason everyone is complaining so much about it's mileage even unloaded. It has to live in the mid to upper RPM range to do anything at all. On the highway once it got moving it was ok, but when we got into it to get it up to speed, it made all kinds of racket, tach in the stratosphere, but really didn't get moving any better. The F250 had the 3.73. Maybe a contributing factor- 4.30s would likely improve it a bit. The Ram did as well though, and it sure pulled it's own weight a lot better.

So, we weighed the pros and cons, and we are waiting until Ford does the refresh on the Super Duty to see what they change. Interior for us was pretty blah... couldn't get past that either.

Good luck!

I looked hard at the 6.2's both with 3.73 and 4.30's. Just couldn't do it....transmission always wanting to shift into the highest gear possible, end up lugging the engine at 35 mph, 6th gear in every one of the 4 or 5 trucks I test drove. A different truck motor indeed....big bore, short stroke, high revvin' machine! Loves being above 4200 rpm. With the 4.30's it is a beast when it gets revved out at 5000 rpm. Seems most owners keep them wringed out to keep the adaptive transmission on the aggressive side or else it is a dog...as you found out.

Torque in my 6.4 comes on good around 3200 rpm. Transmission does a good job holding gears for the appropriate speed. Never wondering if its going to be a dog one day and a thoroughbred the next. Very happy I went with RAM 6.4 and 4.10's. :waytogo:

OP
OP
K

katoom400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I looked hard at the 6.2's both with 3.73 and 4.30's. Just couldn't do it....transmission always wanting to shift into the highest gear possible, end up lugging the engine at 35 mph, 6th gear in every one of the 4 or 5 trucks I test drove. A different truck motor indeed....big bore, short stroke, high revvin' machine! Loves being above 4200 rpm. With the 4.30's it is a beast when it gets revved out at 5000 rpm. Seems most owners keep them wringed out to keep the adaptive transmission on the aggressive side or else it is a dog...as you found out.

Torque in my 6.4 comes on good around 3200 rpm. Transmission does a good job holding gears for the appropriate speed. Never wondering if its going to be a dog one day and a thoroughbred the next. Very happy I went with RAM 6.4 and 4.10's. :waytogo:

the 6.2 I test drove felt the same way....I said to myself "I could never own one of these with 3.73's, I hope they are better with 4.30's"

OP
OP
K

katoom400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the 6.2 I test drove felt the same way....I said to myself "I could never own one of these with 3.73's, I hope they are better with 4.30's"

I had to verify for myself again since I liked the interior of the Ford.

Test drove a 350 CC SB with 6.2 with 3.73's today...what a dog! rolling at ~40mph I put it to the floor and wait for the down shift and to feel the kick....nothing but revs....no torque at all...very disappointing. Can't imagine if I had my trailer on and was trying to get out into traffic!

ZAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had a 2011 F350 with the 6.2 before my Ram. Two things that hold the 6.2 back is the transmission and torque limiting drive by wire strategy. The transmission shifting was the most annoying to me. Shifting to 6th at 35 mph, never seemed to shift the same way between gears and a major delay when downshifting at full throttle. Also the tow/haul mode was way to aggressive, especially when used down grades. A tune from one of the popular tuners seemed to fix all the problems but I never got one. The 66RFE in my new Ram is soooo much better, smoother and smarter than Ford Torqshift 6, but I do miss the full manual mode Ford offers.

OP
OP
K

katoom400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just can't believe that they would put this motor in a heavy duty truck and people are happy with it? the 5.4 in my very heavy Quigley 4x4 van felt more powerfull!

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I much prefer the 6.2 ford we have to the 5.4 truck but thats because of the gearing..the 5.4 truck overall is a much better truck way fewer issues and its 4 years older than the 6.2 with over double the miles...

Ford stopped making good trucks a couple years ago it seems to me

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I much prefer the 6.2 ford we have to the 5.4 truck but thats because of the gearing..the 5.4 truck overall is a much better truck way fewer issues and its 4 years older than the 6.2 with over double the miles...

Ford stopped making good trucks a couple years ago it seems to me

I don't have any experience with the 3 valve 5.4, but I know the 2 valve in my dad's 99 F250 light duty can't even pull a 3500 pound boat in overdrive and won't pull an empty 14 foot v nose enclosed trailer and get above 10 miles per gallon.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah the 5.4 at work is an 08..definitely a dog which is why i like the 12 but i overloaded it many times and it seemed to just need to be geared down..i think it has 3.55s but not 100%