looking to upgrade!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeBeck31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm looking to upgrade my truck and join the big boys club. i currently drive a 2014 ram 1500 slt and hope to move up in the world and get a 2012 ram 3500 laramie. It has 39k miles on it with all the bells and whistles along with a clean title. asking price is $48,000 and it is located 330 miles away. they are offering me 24k for my 14 ram which has 30k miles. just curious if i should pull the trigger. $48k is a lot of money to spend on a truck(for me at least). however, i feel if its going to last me 500k in the long run it is a great investment. has anyone heard of or experienced any major issues with the year/model? i heard of a rumor that the newer rams have a grounding/electrical issue in the engine. the guy could be full of it but trying to do my research now so i can decided what the best route for me is. i plan on pulling a 45 ft toy hauler 5th wheel. any advise or problems you know of would be greatly appreciated! :help:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
For the price mark, I would be looking for a leftover 2015. With incentives and some negotiating I think you should be able to buy new for close to that price. Just my opinion

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
EDIT: Ignore me. I misread 3500 as 2500. Still seems like a lot for a 2012 though.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
I'm looking to upgrade my truck and join the big boys club. i currently drive a 2014 ram 1500 slt and hope to move up in the world and get a 2012 ram 3500 Laramie. It has 39k miles on it with all the bells and whistles along with a clean title. asking price is $48,000 and it is located 330 miles away. they are offering me 24k for my 14 ram which has 30k miles. just curious if i should pull the trigger. $48k is a lot of money to spend on a truck(for me at least). however, i feel if its going to last me 500k in the long run it is a great investment. has anyone heard of or experienced any major issues with the year/model? i heard of a rumor that the newer rams have a grounding/electrical issue in the engine. the guy could be full of it but trying to do my research now so i can decided what the best route for me is. i plan on pulling a 45 ft toy hauler 5th wheel. any advise or problems you know of would be greatly appreciated! :help:

you don't state whether it is a diesel or hemi. That would make a HUGE difference in the price. As mentioned already you can get into a new truck for that much. I dont know if you'll get the full blow Laramie package for that but you should be easily in the big horn cummins range. I'd think you would be able to get a Laramie hemi with $48k though.

I gave a touch over $40 for my truck. A 2015 crew cab long box 2500 tradesman.

Personally I suggest new for many reasons. Better interest rates, you know what you are getting and not worrying about what someone else has done, warranty...

Just FYI, I went 2500 to keep the 4 link coil spring rear suspension vs 3500 with the leaf springs. The coil rear end is quite a bit smoother as well as the 4 link really plants the power to the ground, there is literally zero axle wrap or wheel hop! If my 2500 is ever loaded too heavy i will just throw a set of air bags at it... I haul a camper with 2200 pounds of tongue weight and haven't had any issues thus far though...

OP
OP
M

MikeBeck31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
you don't state whether it is a diesel or hemi. That would make a HUGE difference in the price. As mentioned already you can get into a new truck for that much. I dont know if you'll get the full blow Laramie package for that but you should be easily in the big horn cummins range. I'd think you would be able to get a Laramie hemi with $48k though.

I gave a touch over $40 for my truck. A 2015 crew cab long box 2500 tradesman.

Personally I suggest new for many reasons. Better interest rates, you know what you are getting and not worrying about what someone else has done, warranty...

Just FYI, I went 2500 to keep the 4 link coil spring rear suspension vs 3500 with the leaf springs. The coil rear end is quite a bit smoother as well as the 4 link really plants the power to the ground, there is literally zero axle wrap or wheel hop! If my 2500 is ever loaded too heavy i will just throw a set of air bags at it... I haul a camper with 2200 pounds of tongue weight and haven't had any issues thus far though...

It's a turbo diesel. Warranty is probably already voided due to the lift and programmer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MikeBeck31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I plan on talking him down to $45,000 and eating my negative equity which is around 4,000

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I plan on talking him down to $45,000 and eating my negative equity which is around 4,000

Does the truck have all the emissions devices on it?

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
For that money I would look newer. In 2013 they redesigned the frame so it is stronger and more solid. Also in 2013 they added DEF which gets you better fuel mileage (assuming you don't delete). You also get a NEW engine and transmission and a warranty. $48 for a 4 year old diesel sounds awful high.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As the other posted said, it seems awfully high for a 2012 with no warranty. Even with the Cummins, you can get a new truck for not much more money. I see 10k or more off the sticker price all the time in internet ads.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
48k for something that has 40k miles and is 3 years old- Holy ****!! And that is why I bought new. 39k Otd 6.4 2500. You could easily pick up a 15 or 16 for 48k new- and yes a diesel.. 10k back of msrp all day. Look at New Ram, Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler Caldwell and Used Car Dealer | Dennis Dillon Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram serving Boise & Nampa ID. Go off of the sale price- not the " low as" since you probably won't qualify for those discounts. Why would u buy something used for more than u can buy it new?? Plus the apr is going to be much much better.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
For that money I would look newer. In 2013 they redesigned the frame so it is stronger and more solid. Also in 2013 they added DEF which gets you better fuel mileage (assuming you don't delete). You also get a NEW engine and transmission and a warranty. $48 for a 4 year old diesel sounds awful high.

I believe that only the 2500s got a frame upgrade since Ram started using the 3500 frames on the 2500s as well. You are right about the DEF system though. The addition of the SCR/DEF system in the 2013 engines greatly reduced the need for the EGR to be operating all the time to reduce NOx. The 2007.5-2012 trucks had many issues due to the EGR system constantly working which caused them to clog and fail prematurely. It also clogged the DPF filter a lot since cooling combustion temps in diesels cause more soot. The forced the truck to regen more often which not only uses more fuel, but adds more fuel dilution in the engine oil. With the SCR/DEF system, the EGR is rarely used and only operated at low load conditions. They also increased the capacity of the EGR cooler in 2013 as well.

Last edited:

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I gotta say I agree with everyone that the price is high. I paid $49k for a brand new mega 2500 6.4 limited. Granted I don't have the diesel, but it seems like that truck should have depreciated more than that after 40k.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
For reference only. I have a 2015 2500 6.4 MC 4x4 Laramie with some additional options an I was right at $50K OTD. I know mines a Hemi but this should give you a baseline. $48K plus tax, etc seems way high for that truck.

Btw, if you are looking at towing a 45' 5er should you be looking at a dually? Seems like an awful lot of trailer for a SRW truck.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
In 2013 the 3500's got an upgraded frame and front axle disconnect, for 2014 that got transfered over to the 2500's as well.

OP
OP
M

MikeBeck31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I believe that only the 2500s got a frame upgrade since Ram started using the 3500 frames on the 2500s as well. You are right about the DEF system though. The addition of the SCR/DEF system in the 2013 engines greatly reduced the need for the EGR to be operating all the time to reduce NOx. The 2007.5-2012 trucks had many issues due to the EGR system constantly working which caused them to clog and fail prematurely. It also clogged the DPF filter a lot since cooling combustion temps in diesels cause more soot. The forced the truck to regen more often which not only uses more fuel, but adds more fuel dilution in the engine oil. With the SCR/DEF system, the EGR is rarely used and only operated at low load conditions. They also increased the capacity of the EGR cooler in 2013 as well.

Is there a fix or preventative maintenance that could help solve this problem? I passed up the 2012 and found a 2010 dually.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Is there a fix or preventative maintenance that could help solve this problem? I passed up the 2012 and found a 2010 dually.

Either delete the truck, get a 2013 or newer, or deal with bad mileage are the three options.