Lost in the Heavy Duty Sauce

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VicViper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey y'all, Im still getting acquainted with my 14' 3500 ST I bought a few weeks ago...I'm a truck driver so I don't get to drive it often.

I just need a little information on how my truck is equipped...this is the second pickup I've ever owned, my first was a 94 F150 back in 08 so I'm a bit rusty on how well newer trucks are equipped. I searched the Internet for specific specs on my truck but the configurations on differing models were too broad in scope.

Here's my known configuration: used 2014 3500 ST SRW 4x4 with 6.4, 31k miles, crew cab with 6.5 ft bed

1. How can I tell which rear end I have? Is it stamped on the diff cover?
2. My radio has an old school "calculator style" display, How can I tell which Uconnect system I have. (I'm guessing 3.0)
3. I know these heavy duty trucks ride pretty high even with stock suspension, but I feel like mines is higher than normal, it has 31's on but how can I tell if it has a leveling kit or lift on it?
4. My transmission creaks when I put it in reverse or drive...but it shifts smoothly while driving, is that sound normal or should I be worried?

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
I think, on the 2500/3500, there may be a thin metal tag attached by a differential cover bolt, if so, the gear ratio will be on it.

OP
OP
VicViper

VicViper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow great help! Thanks guys, I'm actually pretty surprised that I can look up my build specs...That's awesome.

3.73 stock rear
3.0 Uconnect
66RFE

Best part is it was shipped and sold in TN, so it's been in my state the whole time. That's pretty cool.

I'm wanting to go 4.10 gears and an aisin trans...or maybe a Allison will go in there?

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
the creeks with shifting into gear is probably your brakes, rotors moving slightly

OP
OP
VicViper

VicViper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Aw that ducks if I can't swap to a better transmission.

Rotors moving when in and out of gear? I'll give it a look today.

I want 4.10's because what I want to do to the truck will add a lot of weight to it, I won't really need to tow a lot.

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
Check out the price on 2 gear swaps, it is very pricy.
But, you probably know that all ready?

OP
OP
VicViper

VicViper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No I don't know anything about pricing as far as gear swaps. I'm coming from a modified G8 GT to a heavy pickup. that's why the title says Lost in the Heavy Duty Sauce lol

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Swapping gears isn't that much, relatively speaking if you do some searching. 2k parts and labor should be about right. I have my guy who does all my gear set ups for Jeeps that is going to save me a ton

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Nuthin' wrong with the 66RFE at all. I don't see the need to swap transmissions.

If you are gonna haul heavy then the 4:10's wouldn't be a bad swap but the 3.73's do a good job and save ya a bit in fuel on the highway too.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
You can do the 4.10, transmission swap is doubtful..

Awww anything is possible if you have enough $$$! :naughty:
Haven't you ever watched Fast & Loud or Diesel Brothers?!? :roflsquared: But yeah as mentioned you will be able to do alright with some 4:10's & keep the tranny cool as possible. If your going to be doing serious weight though you really need the Cummins set up.

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Wow great help! Thanks guys, I'm actually pretty surprised that I can look up my build specs...That's awesome.

3.73 stock rear
3.0 Uconnect
66RFE

Best part is it was shipped and sold in TN, so it's been in my state the whole time. That's pretty cool.

I'm wanting to go 4.10 gears and an aisin trans...or maybe a Allison will go in there?

4:10's are better

3.0 Uconnect is not hooked up to the net, so you can't be hacked.

Nothing wrong with the 66RFE. Should be good for 350,000 miles normal HD service if well maintained.

As for the tranny creaking, Dodges have done that since forever. My Dad had a 1980 van with the auto transmission and it made the same noises! Not sure how they managed to engineer that in after all the changes since then but it is nostalgic to say the least. If it's not making that noise something's wrong. :)

OP
OP
VicViper

VicViper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are going to change the tire size to possibly 33 or larger - I suggest skipping 4:10"s and go straight to 4:56-

Yeah I was planning on 35's max...great info for my brain to soak up guys.

If the 66RFE can last 350k with scheduled Maintnence then I'm not worried about it...I only drive her on the weekends if I can make it home every weekend.

My plans are 35's with steel HD front bumper guard with winch and lights.
Headache rack, 3in suspension lift. Rear steel bumper with spare tire mount and storage box on the tailgate.

That's it...very modest setup...do I even need to worry about gearing or bulletproofing?

Or am I seriously underestimating these trucks? I was under the impression the Power Wagon was an out of the box Capable truck. Is my ST any different?

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
check your gvwr.you're grossly underestimating it.i've got 3:73's,35's and carry a camper and tow a boat,with a 5.7.not even considering the winch and all the other camping stuff i carry in the back seat area.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah I was planning on 35's max...great info for my brain to soak up guys.

If the 66RFE can last 350k with scheduled Maintnence then I'm not worried about it...I only drive her on the weekends if I can make it home every weekend.

My plans are 35's with steel HD front bumper guard with winch and lights.

Headache rack, 3in suspension lift. Rear steel bumper with spare tire mount and storage box on the tailgate.

That's it...very modest setup...do I even need to worry about gearing or bulletproofing?

Or am I seriously underestimating these trucks? I was under the impression the Power Wagon was an out of the box Capable truck. Is my ST any different?

Being able to tune for the trans will help dramatically. If you have 2015+ you'll need a new pcm so you're looking at 1kish. 35s and 4.30/4.56 is what I'll be going to eventually but I'm happy with the 3.73s with a tune. The tune really wakes things up and gets the shift points more desirable but even stock trans, it's better than others I've driven.