MagnaFlow Muffler Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I am right now on the fence with ordering the Mufflex, aside from a nicer tone, any other positives or negatives?

Same here. I don't mind it sounding off when I get on it, but I don't want to be deaf after an hour on the interstate or not hear the tunes. :)

Stampederfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I am right now on the fence with ordering the Mufflex, aside from a nicer tone, any other positives or negatives?

The Mufflex is a really high guality unit - I ended up replacing mine with the Magnaflow 12909 with the stock resonator left on.

I had done a review of the Mufflex, Magnaflow 12909 and Flowmaster American Thunder Catback. Have had them all on my truck.

I'd post the link directly but I don't know how. It's called ' A Tale of Four Exhausts on a 6.4 Hemi' or something close to that. May be useful to you.

My objective was something just a little louder than stock with very little to no drone. Both the Mufflex and the Magnaflow 12909 are pretty good choices for low to no drone.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
The Mufflex is a really high guality unit - I ended up replacing mine with the Magnaflow 12909 with the stock resonator left on.

I had done a review of the Mufflex, Magnaflow 12909 and Flowmaster American Thunder Catback. Have had them all on my truck.

I'd post the link directly but I don't know how. It's called ' A Tale of Four Exhausts on a 6.4 Hemi' or something close to that. May be useful to you.

My objective was something just a little louder than stock with very little to no drone. Both the Mufflex and the Magnaflow 12909 are pretty good choices for low to no drone.

Thank you. I just looked your review up, very well done.
http://www.ramforum.com/f158/tale_4_exhausts_6_4_hemi-93974/

Nice to hear slightly better mileage, not that it is that big a deal.
Did you notice any towing gains towing your TT with the Mufflex, I have about the same weighted TT as you?

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My thinking goes like this, if replacing oem I want to hear the exhaust and the Magnaflow 14 is as close to heaven as you are going to get. Even with the resonator tossed into the dumpster the 14 as mentioned is pure rock and roll. There are a couple of ways around any drone but my R/T and the 14 are happy with my current sound.

Stampederfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Thank you. I just looked your review up, very well done.
http://www.ramforum.com/f158/tale_4_exhausts_6_4_hemi-93974/

Nice to hear slightly better mileage, not that it is that big a deal.
Did you notice any towing gains towing your TT with the Mufflex, I have about the same weighted TT as you?

Thx - I didn't notice any towing gains with the Mufflex but it's a pretty easy muffler to live with for towing. A little drone around 1500 - 1800 rpm but nothing too bad. This is with the stock resonator on though.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
Ordered the Mufflex muffler today....looking forward to installing it.

BIGWHITE16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I would like to get a little more sound out of my 2016 6.4 engine. I don't want to spend $800+ and I do not want it too loud.
I came across a MagnaFlow #12909 that is 3.5" inlet and outlet, with one end centered and the other offset. It is 22" long and supposedly pretty quiet.
I've only been able to find reviews with guys putting it on a Silverado...no Ram reviews.
Has anyone tried this muffler?? Success?? :roflsquared:

I have the exact part. Had Magnaflow installed, resonator deleted. It sounds like a tank coming at you. But that's what I wanted. I didn't buy this truck for my wife.

Keep the resonator on there, and it'll be quiet. Make it sound like a truck should sound....go with just MF.

Increase HP is felt with new MF installed.

Last edited:

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
Finally installed my Mufflex (I know, it took a while...).
Sounds nice, it is actually louder than I was expecting it to be based on videos I have heard.
When the truck "ECO" mode kicks it, it is more noticeable, but nothing crazy....drone to me is slightly more, but again, nothing crazy.
I am not sure if it was just a coincidence, but it seemed to me, the "ECO" mode does not seem to turn on as often.....and no, I am not using a heavier foot with the new sound. Did a drive up North over the weekend and had the cruise set on many occasions and it seemed that it rarely kicked in.