Mega Cab 6.4 4x4 w/ 4.10 Performance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So ramtrucks.com says the closest mega cab 4x4 w/ a 6.4 hemi & 4.10 gear ratio is ~700 miles away. Guess a test drive is pretty much out of the question.

Can anyone with this combination (or just past experience) comment on performance vs the 3.73?

Things like:
  • Merging onto the freeway (loaded & empty)
  • Any noticeably additional cruise noise due to the higher RPMs? (slight but you never know)
  • Passing performance (60mph - 90mph, loaded & empty)
  • Fuel efficiency (if we can even use that word on a 2500)
  • Other surprises?

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I have a crew cab with 4.10 gears. I really don't see any downside. I doubt there is much, if any difference in fuel economy. Performance-wise, it will definitely "get with the program" if you tromp on it, but you can almost see the needle on the fuel gauge bowing to the left.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
IMHO, if it's performance you are after primarily then you will regret not getting the 4.10's. You are already dealing with diesel trans ratios, so the rear gear really helps to make up for it. Even with 4.10's (34" tires) I don't shift into 3rd until 72mph under full throttle.

There is always to option to install 4.56's later, but it's not cheap at around 2k installed from what I've heard.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool - thanks, y'all.

I would really like to drive one but hiking my butt 1400 miles for a test drive is not in the cards.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I can't talk about loaded yet - get the 4.10 - don't get the 4x4 unless you really go off road. It is better to have the payload. Get a limited slip and you will be ok.

Merging onto the freeway - more power then you need.

Any noticeably additional cruise noise due to the higher RPMs? (slight but you never know) no

Passing performance - more power than you need

Fuel efficiency - What???

Other surprises - blind spots

Big Horn Badge
180 Amp Alternator
115V Auxiliary Power Outlet
Folding Flat Load Floor Storage
Integrated Voice Command w/Bluetooth
Trailer Tow Mirrors
GPS Antenna Input
Media Hub
Uconnect Access
Power Lumbar Adjust
Next Generation Engine Controller
Charge Only Remote USB Port
Bright/Bright Billets Grille
Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Controls
Rear 60/40 Split Folding Seat
Exterior Mirrors w/Supplemental Signals
Front Center Seat Cushion Storage
5th Wheel/Gooseneck Towing Prep Group
Radio: Uconnect 8.4
4.10 Rear Axle Ratio
Center Hub
Engine: 6.4L V8 Mid Duty HEMI MDS
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
Wheels: 18" x 8.0" Polished Aluminum
Hemi Badge
Premium Cloth 40/20/40 Bench Seat
Power Black Trailer Tow Mirrors
Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic

ParkSense Rear Park Assist System
Exterior Mirrors Courtesy Lamps
Electronically Controlled Throttle
Underhood Lamp
Clearance Lamps
Big Horn Regional Package
GVWR: 10,000 lbs
Front Armrest w/Cupholders
Storage Tray
Exterior Mirrors w/Heating Element
40/20/40 Split Bench Seat
Nav-Capable! See Dealer for Details
6 Month Trial
Remote Start System
Black Exterior Mirrors
Remote SD Card Slot
ParkView Rear Back-Up Camera
Quick Order Package 22Z Big Horn
Fog Lamps
50 State Emissions
8.4" Touchscreen Display
SiriusXM Satellite Radio
For Details Visit DriveUconnect.com
Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
Power 10-Way Driver Sea
Step Rails

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the advice, dexter!

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I have the same truck you are talking about. It's in my sig line below. Haven't towed a whole lot yet but can help with a few of your questions. Merging on to the hwy or fwy is fantastic. Especially, if you mash the skinny pedal at about 35-40mph you will be up to 70mph in 4-5 seconds. To me, it is extremely quick in this regard for a 7300# truck. While in Montana on Hwy 191 south of Bozeman heading to Big Sky we were the third vehicle behind a concrete truck approaching an area were we could pass before we started to head up the Gallatin River Canyon. When the oncoming lane was clear to pass I began to pull out to pass the car in front of me and the concrete truck. Well the douche bag in front of me was a Ford Explorer with an Ecoboost but he was towing a Drift boat. He decided he wanted to pass and pulled out in front of me. The ******* was passing other vehicle in the oncoming lane towing a boat and we're going about 80. Since I was riding his ass he kept on it when he merged back into his lane so I mashed the pedal again and flew past at about 95 with him giving me a stare and me showing him he was number one.

My truck is used for around town driving on the weekends and some after works stuff but used mostly for family road trips. Just got back from a 3700 mile trip from SoCal through Sheridan WY to Bozeman MT and back home. Basically reached each destination with the evic showing and avg MPG in the 17mpg range.

Not sure what trim level you are after but if you are in AZ I would take a close look at Dennis Dillon in Caldwell, ID. I ordered what I wanted and didn't pay for stuff I didn't. Totally worth the wait to have ano ordered truck when you are spending $50K on a vehicle.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the CC with 4.10 gears. I flew to Caldwell, Idaho from Sacramento for those gears. Everything in a 100 mile radius from Sacrament was 3.73. A test drive being limited, it was a gamble. it was well worth the trip in my opinion.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I have never had a mega-cab I have always bought the CC, my last truck was a 2014 2500 5.7L w/ 3.73 and now I have the 2016 2500 6.4L w/ 4.10 gears and I can tell you the minute I test drove the 2016 w/ 4.10 gears I could tell it compare to the 3.73 gears that I had.

I'm glad that I went with the 4.10 gears because I knew that I will be towing a trailer soon.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same truck you are talking about. It's in my sig line below. Haven't towed a whole lot yet but can help with a few of your questions. Merging on to the hwy or fwy is fantastic. Especially, if you mash the skinny pedal at about 35-40mph you will be up to 70mph in 4-5 seconds. To me, it is extremely quick in this regard for a 7300# truck. While in Montana on Hwy 191 south of Bozeman heading to Big Sky we were the third vehicle behind a concrete truck approaching an area were we could pass before we started to head up the Gallatin River Canyon. When the oncoming lane was clear to pass I began to pull out to pass the car in front of me and the concrete truck. Well the douche bag in front of me was a Ford Explorer with an Ecoboost but he was towing a Drift boat. He decided he wanted to pass and pulled out in front of me. The ******* was passing other vehicle in the oncoming lane towing a boat and we're going about 80. Since I was riding his ass he kept on it when he merged back into his lane so I mashed the pedal again and flew past at about 95 with him giving me a stare and me showing him he was number one.

My truck is used for around town driving on the weekends and some after works stuff but used mostly for family road trips. Just got back from a 3700 mile trip from SoCal through Sheridan WY to Bozeman MT and back home. Basically reached each destination with the evic showing and avg MPG in the 17mpg range.

Not sure what trim level you are after but if you are in AZ I would take a close look at Dennis Dillon in Caldwell, ID. I ordered what I wanted and didn't pay for stuff I didn't. Totally worth the wait to have ano ordered truck when you are spending $50K on a vehicle.

Awesome - thanks skrap. 17mpg is really impressive! We're you hypermiling at 55mph or doing actual cruising?

Slick61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I find it interesting that so many are finding it difficult to find a 2500 crew/mega with the 6.4L & 4.10s... my "local" Ram dealer (about 40 miles away) has a bunch of 2500s with the 6.4L, & virtually all have the 4.10s. I bought my '16 Tradesman crew cab (short bed) 6.4L 4x4 last month. Haven't towed yet, but acceleration/passing is great. So far, I can get about 16-17 mpg on the highway, & about 12-13 around town. It's amazing how quiet the truck is at cruising speed. I came out of a 2000 Super Duty V10 4x4 supercab. There's a few things I don't like about the truck (nothing to do with the drivetrain), but I can live with them. At 70 mph, the engine turns ~1800 rpm. The MDS activation is pretty invisible. The "hemi-tick" takes some getting used to, but overall, am very happy with the purchase.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Awesome - thanks skrap. 17mpg is really impressive! We're you hypermiling at 55mph or doing actual cruising?

No problem. Since the 17 is from the evic there is no telling if it is accurate or .5 - 2.0 mpg off as some say. At the end of the I don't really care what my mileage is. Like is said it is used mostly for family road trips and the fuel it cost for said trips is FAR cheaper than any airline travel we do. Somewhere I have an EVIC pic of the truck showing 18.2mpg avg when we pulled into Missoula MT last summer.

On the 4.10 gears people are talking about. When I ordered and picked up my truck from Dennis Dillon (May 2015)I was talking to the fleet guy whom orders all the trucks for their lot inventory and he mentioned to me that it was interesting I ordered the truck with 4.10 gears. Gave him my reasons and he pretty much responded that he mostly ordered all his 2500 gassers with the 3.73 just "because". My guess that is fairly standard for most dealerships.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's really solid - my EVIC on the 1500 doesn't often read above 17 these days. Might not be apples to apples but still . . .

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I find it interesting that so many are finding it difficult to find a 2500 crew/mega with the 6.4L & 4.10s... my "local" Ram dealer (about 40 miles away) has a bunch of 2500s with the 6.4L, & virtually all have the 4.10s. I bought my '16 Tradesman crew cab (short bed) 6.4L 4x4 last month. Haven't towed yet, but acceleration/passing is great. So far, I can get about 16-17 mpg on the highway, & about 12-13 around town. It's amazing how quiet the truck is at cruising speed. I came out of a 2000 Super Duty V10 4x4 supercab. There's a few things I don't like about the truck (nothing to do with the drivetrain), but I can live with them. At 70 mph, the engine turns ~1800 rpm. The MDS activation is pretty invisible. The "hemi-tick" takes some getting used to, but overall, am very happy with the purchase.

I agree. When I bought my 2015 I gave my dealer in tiffin ohio the specs I wanted. 15 minutes later he found the truck with 4 10 gears in Erie PA with every option I wanted. Granted it's a tradesman but it's got a lot of options. I think the dilemma most get into are they may want a higher end model with 4.10s and those are more scarce. So yeah GET The 4.10 gears!

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Roger that.

I'm trying to drive a local Mega Cab (3.73s unfortunately) w/ the 6.4 vs the Cummins (obviously 3.42) over the weekend. I know the MC will be slow(er) w/o the 4.10s but it's what's available.

If I pull the trigger, I'm going to have to order the truck.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Roger that.

I'm trying to drive a local Mega Cab (3.73s unfortunately) w/ the 6.4 vs the Cummins (obviously 3.42) over the weekend. I know the MC will be slow(er) w/o the 4.10s but it's what's available.

If I pull the trigger, I'm going to have to order the truck.

Where are you located?