Micheling - LTX Defender or AT2's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahiaring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So I was dead set on the purchasing 275/70/18 Defender LTX M/S2 Tires for my new 3500...but a good buddy of mine is trying to push me towards the AT 2's as they offer a little more off road traction.

I am on paved roads/hwy driving probably 85% of the year, but the 15% I'm off pavement (hunting season, summer camping,) sometime roads can get pretty nasty,muddy, snowy. Lastly I probably will be doing max of 2500 towing miles (8k travel trailer) yearly. Here in the Boise, Idaho area were I live, actually don't see too much snow (maybe 2-3 storms a year that are melted away within a week) More cold rain that sometimes freezes.

Thoughts on one way or the other? My F250 came with the AT2's but I switched within a week for a mud tire (mistake) so I am not really sure how good they might be?

My wifes Tahoe has P rated Defender LTX M/S2's and they are flat awesome. Way more grip and off road tractoin than you would expect and super quiet on the hwy - BUT those are 4 ply tires, not 10ply.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I have the AT/2's and they ride ok on the highway. They are a bit louder than the stock Transforces, but they have much better traction. I've only driven in one snow storm with them so far, but they were much better than the Transforces. They were a bit of a ******* to balance, but that might have been the tire shop. I go the shop to get them balanced after 4 tries. I only drive about 25-50 miles a year off road, but I drive in the snow several months of the year, so the more aggressive tread is acceptable to me.