Mileage on 2014 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
What's crazy to me is that you have purchased 11 vehicles in 18 months! Lol

I just can't begin to explain it. Call it a mental disease - a "gotta have it, can't stand to go with out it" disorder.

My one neighbor came up to me after my 9th new vehicle and just flat came out and asked me: "are you selling drugs?"

OP
OP
S

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
By just taking a quick peak over in the Diesel area of this message board, it looks like the 2500 6.7's are lucky to get 18mpg. I would never trust a dealership for info on mpg. Hell the new ecodiesel in the 1500 w/8sp and about half the power only gets 23 combined and that's record breaking.

The 2014 Rubicon I just bought. Window sticker showed 18 city, 21 highway. Of course I have bigger tires but in town I get 13-14 mpg and if lucky with a tail wind and going downhill, I will get 18. Think I need to lighten the amount of beer I carry.

OP
OP
S

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
1. Never trust someone that's simply trying to earn a living by taking your money. They'll say what you want to hear so you give them the check.

2. Never fully trust any digital readout for gas mileage. The only thing they're good for are hypermilers that are looking to squeak every last mpg out of their tank.

3. Your maths determining mpg are still estimates, although closer than a digital readout. If you want accuracy, drain the tank, fill with fuel only from a gas container (because pumps can lie too), and fill exact amounts each time. Record mileage each time you run out of fuel.

If you don't want the utmost in accuracy, be content with what your maths tell you, and happy that you have 1st world problems :D

Try this if you want to see how accurate a gas/diesel pump is. Take a one or two gallon gas can and tell the guy that is filling them that you want "exactly" one gallon or if a two gallon can, two exact gallons. When the reading on the pump reaches 1.0 or 2.0 then check what you owe vs. what it shows they are selling the gas/diesel for. And I do realize they carry those numbers way out - i.e. 3.111111111111111111111111111111 for a gallon.

You never want to let a diesel run out of fuel. A real PIA. And with the 2014's, there is no diesel cap. Nozzel fits fine but you can not add fuel with a spare can. If you do, there is a plastic funnel under the passegers seat, next to the jack. You have to put the funnel in first and then start pouring the diesel in. Same is applicable with the UREA tank. That funnel can only be made out of plastic or stainless steel. You can now buy aftermarket diesel caps - locking or non-locking. Another way Chrysler squeezes that last dime out of your pocket. Same goes with the diesel engine heater electrical cord. Have to buy one and from the dealers parts dept. they are $185.00. Then you either drink a case of beer trying to put it on or pay the mechanic for labor.

OP
OP
S

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The salesman who sold me my truck said the 8 speed in the 1500's gained people who had previously had 6 speeds around 2 miles per gallon.
My last fill up was 12.1 mpg's. They will flat out lie to you to get you to buy a vehicle. Best case scenario might get you that mileage but for a truck that big and heavy you need all the help you can get like dpf delete, flat land and thr cruise set at 55 mph.

Totally agree with you. I didn't buy this truck for my DD, I bought it to pull my travel trailer. However, with winter still hitting us, I can't just let the truck sit in my shop and not drive it. And I won't start it and let it sit there and idle. Every week I take it out for about a 25-40 mile drive just to keep everything lubricated. Only idle time this truck gets is when I am stopped at a red light and I put the tranny in "N".

Believe me, I have tried oh so hard to keep this truck on cruise at 55 mph. I absolutely can not drive that slow even on two lane roads for which we have a lot here in Oregon. I put a lot of faith in my radar detector.

OP
OP
S

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
By just taking a quick peak over in the Diesel area of this message board, it looks like the 2500 6.7's are lucky to get 18mpg. I would never trust a dealership for info on mpg. Hell the new ecodiesel in the 1500 w/8sp and about half the power only gets 23 combined and that's record breaking.

I do have to apologize for talking diesel trucks on the 1500 forum but every time I attempt to get to the diesel forum it won't let me in.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I do have to apologize for talking diesel trucks on the 1500 forum but every time I attempt to get to the diesel forum it won't let me in.

strange... try this link

not that there is anything wrong with posting here.. just trying to help...

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Quick question I have had no problems with my B/U cam but the radio is a different beast, what problem are you having with the radio/truck?

I call the problem with the main display _ the "radio." However, the radio has no problems. It plays loud and clear. The problem is with the entire huge display unit that is ran by who knows how many computers.

First it effected the Nav system. With me in that system it showed me sitting on top of a local mountain when actually I was in my driveway.

Then there is a setting from Nav to display map and there is an Icon next to that, that is designed to tell you how fast you have been going, idle time, stopping time (what's the difference?) - just a lot of useful information. Well that stopped working, showing the fastest speed I had driven was 23 mph.

Then the actual and average mpg stop working or was flucuating so bad that I didn't know how many mpg the "computers" were showing me.

To use the Wi-Fi, you have to pay a daily, weekly or monthly charge.

The service dept did a software download and what that produced was all kinds of extra Icons. When you pushed one of those you had to sign up for those services (more money).

I could download songs to my cell phone and as long as I had the phone with me, the radio (nav system) would pick those songs up and I could either listen to them or download to the system. That no longer works.

There are other small things that don't work with this NAV system or just system period. Two local guys who have the same truck as mine have had three new systems installed in their trucks and it did not help any.

The back-up camera was suppose to display on the main big screen. Instead, it is displaying on the left side of the rear view mirror. It is not ACCURATE. While still in the green or safe zone, backing up, if you don't stop and check the distance from the trucks bumper to the item behind you, you will run into it. Last time I measured distance in the green zone, I was about 2' away from hitting the side of my travel trailer.

So that is just a quick overview of what the thing is doing. Their suppose to install a new system in my truck but now that I am getting a new 2014 - straight across trade - I have my fingers crossed that this entire computer run system is going to function like it was designed to. If you have any problems, shoot me a e-mail and I will see if I can help you. I do know some of the things you might try to correct some problems.

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Diesels are notorious for taking a long time to break in. Under 1000 miles it you are nowhere near what the mileage will be once it fully breaks in which won't be for thousands of miles.

Yes! They are fuel hogs for quite a while!!! So every one who has one has told me.

OP
OP
S

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
strange... try this link

I'm not even going to ask you how you did that other to say many many tks!!! I'll shoot over there and see if anybody has mileage and NAV system problems.

Ya just made my day!!

mangus2k13ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why do people complain about mpg on trucks?!?!?!? Go get a Prius and sex change if it bothers you so much!

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Why do people complain about mpg on trucks?!?!?!? Go get a Prius and sex change if it bothers you so much!

Why did you take the time to complain about a post about mileage if it bothers you so much?!?!?!?
Its people with an attitude like yours that prevent forward progress. Be happy with what you have, thats fine, but some people want to be able to afford to do things with their trucks, not be broke because they are putting all of their money into fuel. I used to think the same thing asking why people complain about a trucks fuel economy but when you look back in the last 30 years and see that only within the last 5 to 10 years has mileage in trucks improved at all you can't tell me there wasn't room for improvement.
I love having the power to be able tp tow anything I want but when I look at my mileage and see others with 2500's getting the same or better than I am getting I feel I have room to complain.

PTCTreeGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
none, why can't
Engine
these be blank
Exactly, it's not like anyone was complaining why doesn't my truck get 40 mpg. It seems like some actually buy a truck not to use it but rather as a 'I don't care what gas costs, why do you?' badge. Part of what brought me over to Ram over an F150 was the Ecodiesel because it gives me truck useability when I need it and decent economy commuting 90 miles a day. And at 6'7 and 250, most cars are out of space quickly and rooflines keep getting lower and lower. But if I bought a 2500/Super Duty, 'only' got 15 mpg and complained, well that's a different story. It's a matter of what is appropriate for the vehicle you purchased. And unless you own a fleet asking on forums is a great way to find out what others average.

mangus2k13ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why did you take the time to complain about a post about mileage if it bothers you so much?!?!?!?
Its people with an attitude like yours that prevent forward progress. Be happy with what you have, thats fine, but some people want to be able to afford to do things with their trucks, not be broke because they are putting all of their money into fuel. I used to think the same thing asking why people complain about a trucks fuel economy but when you look back in the last 30 years and see that only within the last 5 to 10 years has mileage in trucks improved at all you can't tell me there wasn't room for improvement.
I love having the power to be able tp tow anything I want but when I look at my mileage and see others with 2500's getting the same or better than I am getting I feel I have room to complain.

Yeah, you make sense. Just like the people complaining about mpg on trucks. Heavy duty trucks don't have to post mpg on the maronie sticker because they are not required by the federal government to be fuel efficient. Also, a sensible person wouldn't had purchased a 3500 diesel for fuel economy and complain about not having money to fill it up. They are made to tow and haul. Again go get a Prius!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat

its ok to voice your opinion about the subject, but saying get a sex change and get a prius is rude and not needed. Please be respectful to other members as they have been to you.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah, you make sense. Just like the people complaining about mpg on trucks. Heavy duty trucks don't have to post mpg on the maronie sticker because they are not required by the federal government to be fuel efficient. Also, a sensible person wouldn't had purchased a 3500 diesel for fuel economy and complain about not having money to fill it up. They are made to tow and haul. Again go get a Prius!

So according to you a truck of any type should be hauling something at all times so who cares what kind of mileage the thing gets? Yes complaining a 3500 isn't getting 20 plus mpg's is a big stretch but the same trucks 10 years ago were getting over 20 mpg's so they can do it now, even with all of the emissions they come with. The 1500 with the diesel can get 20 in the city, a 2500/3500 should be able to hit that empty on the expressway. People are dropping 60k on these trucks, for that price the manufacturer should be able to throw in a dart to have as a daily driver, then people wouldn't complain about the mileage their truck gets.
Along those same lines are you saying I shouldn't complain about my 1500 averaging 12 mpg's? The sticker says 17 average but 12 is fine? Should I keep my mouth shut about the piece of crap car transfer case they put in my truck too? Where do I draw the line?
I signed the contract to get a 4wd 1500 that advertised 20 mpg's, instead I have a awd truck that gets a maximum of 17.
The person who started this thread said the manager said he got 23 to 24 miles per gallon in the same truck as he bought, so he should be just happy with whatever he gets? Where does he draw the line? What if he was getting 8 miles per gallon? Would you say the same thing then?

OP
OP
S

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
strange... try this link

Well I checked that link out for which I am greatful you gave it to me. Roughly 16mpg on the 1 ton Dodge. HOWEVER, I finally got the dealer to trade straight across ~ my new truck for another new 2014. Only this time I went from a 1 ton down to a 2500. More options on it and I got money back on the 1 ton.

I went from the silver 1 ton to a Deep Crystal Red, crystal pearl coat 2500.

Should have bought the 2500 in the first place. I plan on selling my house, not "moving it." :roflbow:

Have a lot of exterior mods all ready ordered for the 1 ton but will fit the 2500. Just have to order for the underside. Going all black exterior with red differential covers, skid plates, etc. LED exterior and interior lights. 40" LED light bar across the roof, single LED's on the window posts.

Again, many tks for that link.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
No problem! Glad you got everything worked put. :waytogo:. Can't wait to see your new 2500 when you finish with it :popcorn:

sent thru a cloud of smoke

OP
OP
S

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So according to you a truck of any type should be hauling something at all times so who cares what kind of mileage the thing gets? Yes complaining a 3500 isn't getting 20 plus mpg's is a big stretch but the same trucks 10 years ago were getting over 20 mpg's so they can do it now, even with all of the emissions they come with. The 1500 with the diesel can get 20 in the city, a 2500/3500 should be able to hit that empty on the expressway. People are dropping 60k on these trucks, for that price the manufacturer should be able to throw in a dart to have as a daily driver, then people wouldn't complain about the mileage their truck gets.
Along those same lines are you saying I shouldn't complain about my 1500 averaging 12 mpg's? The sticker says 17 average but 12 is fine? Should I keep my mouth shut about the piece of crap car transfer case they put in my truck too? Where do I draw the line?
I signed the contract to get a 4wd 1500 that advertised 20 mpg's, instead I have a awd truck that gets a maximum of 17.
The person who started this thread said the manager said he got 23 to 24 miles per gallon in the same truck as he bought, so he should be just happy with whatever he gets? Where does he draw the line? What if he was getting 8 miles per gallon? Would you say the same thing then?

I'm the one that started the mileage thread. The trucks computer showed me the actual mileage I was getting was 23-24 (at first). However this was on a straight stretch of road. The average mpg was in the 12-15 mpg range.

When I figured up the actual mileage by taking the miles and dividing that by the number of gallons, it gave me the actual mileage as close as I could figure.

No, I wasn't happy because I didn't get the 23-24. However, I soon realized that no road is going to be forever straight. Up/down hills, mountains, head winds, etc. So now I'm content with the 15 or 16 mpg his 1 ton is getting.

But due to the other problems I have with this new 1 ton, the dealer went out of his way to trade straight across, taking my 1 ton and now putting me into a 2500 Diesel. And I came out ahead money wise and with options.

This new truck is not going to be my DD, I bought it to pull my travel trailer, haul motorcycles in an enclosed trailer, etc. Mileage? I really don't care at this point. I will get what I get and be happy knowing it will pull what I want, when I want.

I have also owned four (4) 2013 1/2 ton (Hemi's). Did I get the mileage it stated I should? No!

I'm now on my fourth (4th) Jeep ~ this last one is a 2014 4 door. Am I getting the mileage it said I would? No!

When you buy a new truck or car and see the window sticker saying it will get XX mpg, that is based on running the vehicles on a track for the most part. Yes, they do test drive some across the US or different States. And if you read those reports they will indicate that they did not get the mileage as it was posted.

Yes, you can CIA it, chip it and do other things to get better mileage but for the most part, the money could just be spent on buying fuel for it.

The engineers who design and build these vehicles do so under strict EPA laws so what you may have got 10 or 15 years ago for mileage is never going to happen again.

Leave the engines stock, use the vehicle for what it was built for and be content with the mileage you are gettting.

Finally, take a real hard look at your driving habits, in town/out of town, wind conditions, cold/hot weather, tire size, tire "pressure", etc. All those have to be taken into consideration. You get better mileage if you live at sea level vs living at 4,000' ~ idle time, stop and go traffic. Most window stickers will say you will get an "average" mpg. Keep your engine tuned to the manufactures spec's ~ clean fuel filters, run synthetic oil if you can. May not increase your mpg but sure helps all internal engine parts and the warm up time during winter months is a lot shorter.

My new 2500 will be here in a few days. Mods? Nope, only exterior ones and even those can create air drag.

Just enjoy your vehicles. Life is just to damn short to worry about the price of fuel. Either you can afford it or you find a vehicle that gets more mpg or you stay home. Good luck either way. :favorites13:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm the one that started the mileage thread. The trucks computer showed me the actual mileage I was getting was 23-24 (at first). However this was on a straight stretch of road. The average mpg was in the 12-15 mpg range.

When I figured up the actual mileage by taking the miles and dividing that by the number of gallons, it gave me the actual mileage as close as I could figure.

No, I wasn't happy because I didn't get the 23-24. However, I soon realized that no road is going to be forever straight. Up/down hills, mountains, head winds, etc. So now I'm content with the 15 or 16 mpg his 1 ton is getting.

But due to the other problems I have with this new 1 ton, the dealer went out of his way to trade straight across, taking my 1 ton and now putting me into a 2500 Diesel. And I came out ahead money wise and with options.

This new truck is not going to be my DD, I bought it to pull my travel trailer, haul motorcycles in an enclosed trailer, etc. Mileage? I really don't care at this point. I will get what I get and be happy knowing it will pull what I want, when I want.

I have also owned four (4) 2013 1/2 ton (Hemi's). Did I get the mileage it stated I should? No!

I'm now on my fourth (4th) Jeep ~ this last one is a 2014 4 door. Am I getting the mileage it said I would? No!

When you buy a new truck or car and see the window sticker saying it will get XX mpg, that is based on running the vehicles on a track for the most part. Yes, they do test drive some across the US or different States. And if you read those reports they will indicate that they did not get the mileage as it was posted.

Yes, you can CIA it, chip it and do other things to get better mileage but for the most part, the money could just be spent on buying fuel for it.

The engineers who design and build these vehicles do so under strict EPA laws so what you may have got 10 or 15 years ago for mileage is never going to happen again.

Leave the engines stock, use the vehicle for what it was built for and be content with the mileage you are gettting.

Finally, take a real hard look at your driving habits, in town/out of town, wind conditions, cold/hot weather, tire size, tire "pressure", etc. All those have to be taken into consideration. You get better mileage if you live at sea level vs living at 4,000' ~ idle time, stop and go traffic. Most window stickers will say you will get an "average" mpg. Keep your engine tuned to the manufactures spec's ~ clean fuel filters, run synthetic oil if you can. May not increase your mpg but sure helps all internal engine parts and the warm up time during winter months is a lot shorter.

My new 2500 will be here in a few days. Mods? Nope, only exterior ones and even those can create air drag.

Just enjoy your vehicles. Life is just to damn short to worry about the price of fuel. Either you can afford it or you find a vehicle that gets more mpg or you stay home. Good luck either way. :favorites13:

All of the vehicles that I have owned so far have either got around theor epa estimates or exceeded them, including my wifes 14 grand cherokee. I know I shouldn't expect to get those numbers all the time but something at least close would be nice. My 2011 fusion got what the sticker said at 70 mph, right at 33 mpg's. Slow down to 55 and I could almost get 40 miles per gallon. If my sticker on my ram says 21 mpg highway there should be some way I could achieve that, so far even at 55 that looks impossible. It looks almost impossible to get the 17 combined miles per gallon but ther are a lot more factors involved with that in the city driving part.

OP
OP
S

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
All of the vehicles that I have owned so far have either got around theor epa estimates or exceeded them, including my wifes 14 grand cherokee. I know I shouldn't expect to get those numbers all the time but something at least close would be nice. My 2011 fusion got what the sticker said at 70 mph, right at 33 mpg's. Slow down to 55 and I could almost get 40 miles per gallon. If my sticker on my ram says 21 mpg highway there should be some way I could achieve that, so far even at 55 that looks impossible. It looks almost impossible to get the 17 combined miles per gallon but ther are a lot more factors involved with that in the city driving part.

Sorry, I'm confused. You said all your vehicles basically came close to the EPA estimates or exceeded them. Then you say you want those numbers all the time or something close would be nice. So what has changed that you are upset about? What I'm reading from you is your vehicles are getting the mileage their suppose to so why wouldn't you expect to get that mileage all the time? Let me ask you ~ are you NOT getting that good mileage all the time and if not, what do you think is causing what I can only assume is a drop in your mileage?

Are the vehicles you say you are happy with the mileage, vehicles that you now own? Perhaps you wife has better driving habits than you do and she is getting that good mileage - just a hunch on my part.

When I started this thread, I didn't want an exact figure on the mileage for the 1 ton Dodge, just wanted to see what an average might be or what others were getting.

There are so many different things to consider between your wife's vehicle and others you may own that I could write a small book on here about them ~ what gears do you have in your other cars vs what you have in your truck. Buying fuel from a third rate gas station? Speaking of gas stations, never buy fuel when you see the station getting fuel at that moment from a gas tanker. It stirs up all the muck and rusk from the bottom of the tanks and you know where it goes from there
!
The time of day and temp. has a lot to do with mileage. Topping off the tank or stopping when the nozzle hits the first "click." Read my post where I listed some of the things you need to check if you are getting bad mileage.

I don't have a clue how old you are but I bet you are pretty heavy on the gas pedal, especially driving a Hemi. I know I sure was and still am, now driving a diesel and a Rubicon. If you that concerned about mileage then drive 55 mph and be content.

The four 2013 1500 Dodges I had with the Hemi's all got different mileage no matter how hard I tried to hit the EPA figures. But again, you want to drive, you have to pay, regardless of the price/s.

Has your truck thrown any codes? If so did you take it to a dealer? Even with no codes and you are apparently not happy with your current mileage, have you taken it back to a dealer or a different dealer. You should know that you have mechanics that will skim over a truck and care less. Then you have the dedicated ones that will work overtime on a problem and then go home, get on their computers and attempt to find an answer there.

I have no clue, no explanation as to why your truck is getting bad mileage. Some vehicles come off the line at the factories and never come close to what the EPA figures are.

With my 2012 2500 Dodge diesel ~ pulling a 9,000 lb trailer I averaged 6.7 mpg and no codes thrown, no mechanic could figure it out. So 6.7 is what I got and I pulled the trailer knowing I was not going to get anything over 6.7 mpg. Nature of the Beast? Don't have a clue.

Additives in your gas? I use to fall for that trick and to me, it is a trick, a scam because it did not get me even 1 more mpg.

Before I end up writing a book here, if your mileage is so far off from what the window sticker said, start keepin a small book with you. Write down your mileage and divide it by the number of gallons. Is that going to give you an exact figure? No! However it will come as close as you can get. So with a record of your bad mileage, backed up with the receipts, go to the dealer. If your truck is still under warranty and you get no help from the service mgr, call Chrysler and open a claim. However, don't expect them to jump right on your claim. In a lot of cases, don't even expect to hear back from them. Been there, done it.

Good Luck!