Mileage on 2014 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The 2014 Rubicon I just bought. Window sticker showed 18 city, 21 highway. Of course I have bigger tires but in town I get 13-14 mpg and if lucky with a tail wind and going downhill, I will get 18. Think I need to lighten the amount of beer I carry.

Got to thinking about the mileage for the 2500's. Would have thought with the one ton weighing a lot more than the 2500, mileage would be a little higher than 18. However, if that's what I get then that's what I will be happy with. Also it's strange ~ 18 mpg on a 2500 ~ my new Rubicon says 18 mpg City and 21 highway. Which, BTW I am not even close to that.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sorry, I'm confused. You said all your vehicles basically came close to the EPA estimates or exceeded them. Then you say you want those numbers all the time or something close would be nice. So what has changed that you are upset about? What I'm reading from you is your vehicles are getting the mileage their suppose to so why wouldn't you expect to get that mileage all the time? Let me ask you ~ are you NOT getting that good mileage all the time and if not, what do you think is causing what I can only assume is a drop in your mileage?

Are the vehicles you say you are happy with the mileage, vehicles that you now own? Perhaps you wife has better driving habits than you do and she is getting that good mileage - just a hunch on my part.

When I started this thread, I didn't want an exact figure on the mileage for the 1 ton Dodge, just wanted to see what an average might be or what others were getting.

There are so many different things to consider between your wife's vehicle and others you may own that I could write a small book on here about them ~ what gears do you have in your other cars vs what you have in your truck. Buying fuel from a third rate gas station? Speaking of gas stations, never buy fuel when you see the station getting fuel at that moment from a gas tanker. It stirs up all the muck and rusk from the bottom of the tanks and you know where it goes from there
!
The time of day and temp. has a lot to do with mileage. Topping off the tank or stopping when the nozzle hits the first "click." Read my post where I listed some of the things you need to check if you are getting bad mileage.

I don't have a clue how old you are but I bet you are pretty heavy on the gas pedal, especially driving a Hemi. I know I sure was and still am, now driving a diesel and a Rubicon. If you that concerned about mileage then drive 55 mph and be content.

The four 2013 1500 Dodges I had with the Hemi's all got different mileage no matter how hard I tried to hit the EPA figures. But again, you want to drive, you have to pay, regardless of the price/s.

Has your truck thrown any codes? If so did you take it to a dealer? Even with no codes and you are apparently not happy with your current mileage, have you taken it back to a dealer or a different dealer. You should know that you have mechanics that will skim over a truck and care less. Then you have the dedicated ones that will work overtime on a problem and then go home, get on their computers and attempt to find an answer there.

I have no clue, no explanation as to why your truck is getting bad mileage. Some vehicles come off the line at the factories and never come close to what the EPA figures are.

With my 2012 2500 Dodge diesel ~ pulling a 9,000 lb trailer I averaged 6.7 mpg and no codes thrown, no mechanic could figure it out. So 6.7 is what I got and I pulled the trailer knowing I was not going to get anything over 6.7 mpg. Nature of the Beast? Don't have a clue.

Additives in your gas? I use to fall for that trick and to me, it is a trick, a scam because it did not get me even 1 more mpg.

Before I end up writing a book here, if your mileage is so far off from what the window sticker said, start keepin a small book with you. Write down your mileage and divide it by the number of gallons. Is that going to give you an exact figure? No! However it will come as close as you can get. So with a record of your bad mileage, backed up with the receipts, go to the dealer. If your truck is still under warranty and you get no help from the service mgr, call Chrysler and open a claim. However, don't expect them to jump right on your claim. In a lot of cases, don't even expect to hear back from them. Been there, done it.

Good Luck!

I meant that all of my vehicles have gotten their epa estimates or better except my ram. I know there are a lot of factors going into city mileage, that is why I let my crappy average somewhat slide, my main problem is highway mileage. I have never had any codes besides a transfer case overtemp that occured when I got stuck in deep snow. I have taken it to the dealer multiple times and every time everything checks out normal so at this point I am just riding my lease out. I use an app called fuelly to track the mileage of both of our vehicles, that way there is nothing for me to lose.
I actually get better mileage than she does believe it or not, I can get quite a bit better than she can in the ram because I know how to keep it in 4 cylinder mode.
If I could get on the expressway and set the cruise to 55 and get 21 like the sticker says I would be happy, but the only time I have gotten that is with a strong tailwind.
I have tried every grade of fuel, every brand of fuel, nothing helps more than .5 mpg's.
It just makes me mad because I love driving this truck and if it wasnt for the transfer case and mileage I would be leasing another one or buying another one when my lease is up, instead I think I am going to look into a 2007 or so hd with a cummins, at least then I will have the ability to do whatever I want and still get decent mileage.
I actually just sent an email to ram customer care last Thursday and have yet to hear anything back from them, it said I would get a response within one business day but I guess that is if they choose to respond.
I know I'm not the easiest on the gas pedal but I'm not a leadfoot, I'm actually the guy everyone flips pff going down the expressway because I'm going 65 instead of 70 to try and save fuel, it makes the drive a little longer but I think it does make a difference.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Have y'all ever seen how these epa tests are done. The vehicle sits in a room with temperature controlled and the rear tires on rollers. They are nowhere near real conditions. The government is actually in the process of changing that. They want it to where the manufacturers will have to drive the vehicles in real conditions on a track or closed circuit area. And not inside of a building on a set of rollers.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900V) via taptalk...

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Have y'all ever seen how these epa tests are done. The vehicle sits in a room with temperature controlled and the rear tires on rollers. They are nowhere near real conditions. The government is actually in the process of changing that. They want it to where the manufacturers will have to drive the vehicles in real conditions on a track or closed circuit area. And not inside of a building on a set of rollers.

Interesting just like the useless power at the crank figures that don't get to the real world driving.

To the topic first it was funny reading the posts by OP about filling gas as I knew without looking you were from Oregon since you talked about people pumping your gas. Most states let you pump your own fuel but I remember when visiting Oregon they pump it for you and it the law.
I think vehicles should get around the stated mileage but they just are not very real world so it usually lower it just is. Where I live ever day involves warm up before and after work so you can guess what "mileage" I get as idling is 0MPG. I was surprised you traded in the 3500 for 2500. I am a big fan of the 3500 (especially Aisin if equipped) being bigger than needed :) glad it all worked out.
I get about 17 or 18 and in summer and cannot see instant mpg which is probably for the best.

$miley

OP
OP
S

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7

I've never personally seen this or even heard about it although I have no doubt about them doing it. However, "track" testing has been around a long time.

Vehicle magazines articles have individuals that will take three or four different vehicles that are fairly close to each other and with four drivers, they have a set route. The four drivers rotate within the four vehicles and at the end of the two or three day testing they get together to go over all the collected information ~ handling, cornerning, mileage, etc. These tests include City, highway and Interstate driving.

There is also another way manufactures test vehicles. Let's say for an example they want to test the new Dodge 1500's. The company may take three or four of the exact same trucks, four drivers and basically do what they do as I stated above.

Part of this type of driving, they all have to be in line, doing the same speed. The other portion of this test is where they let each driver, drive the way he would normally do. This is where there is a tremendous difference is the collected information at the end of each day. Personally, I feel this is a more accurate way of obtaining test information.

However, what it all comes down to in "our" World we live in and the trucks "we" drive is the different ways we drive. Some will brake while going through corners, some will power their way through. Some are content with cruise control at 60+mph. Others will push it to the limits because they have their radars. (I love mine)

I think we all agree that each of us has their own unique way of driving, driving different years of vehicles, etc. One day I would like to see a thread on "how" we drive, where we drive. Within that thread I would be curious if everybody could keep track of their gas mileage by doing it the simple, old way = Mileage divided by gallons =MPG. Could go even one step further and have the forum members put down the year of vehicle, miles on it and "all" mods to the engine and those on the exterior. Think there would be a huge difference. Anyway, just a thought. :driver:

OP
OP
S

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Interesting just like the useless power at the crank figures that don't get to the real world driving.

To the topic first it was funny reading the posts by OP about filling gas as I knew without looking you were from Oregon since you talked about people pumping your gas. Most states let you pump your own fuel but I remember when visiting Oregon they pump it for you and it the law.
I think vehicles should get around the stated mileage but they just are not very real world so it usually lower it just is. Where I live ever day involves warm up before and after work so you can guess what "mileage" I get as idling is 0MPG. I was surprised you traded in the 3500 for 2500. I am a big fan of the 3500 (especially Aisin if equipped) being bigger than needed :) glad it all worked out.
I get about 17 or 18 and in summer and cannot see instant mpg which is probably for the best.

Yes I do live in Oregon and you are correct, it is against the law for you to pump your own gas. However, you can legally pump your own diesel.

That idle warm up time can really make a difference on your mileage. I have the electrical cord that I plug into the diesel truck when the temp's get at a certain temp. Also the 1 ton has an option where you can increase the idle on it while warming up. It takes less time and fuel and when you get into the cab, it is all warmed up for you.

The winter months can, over a period of time while idling, can cause a lot of wear on engine parts. It's just cold metal running against cold metal. That is why I use the elec. cord and also use only synthetic oil. With that, all internal engine parts are lubed.

Well due to problems with this "new" 1 ton, the dealer said he would take me out of it and put me in another new 1 ton. Had all the options worked out and then SLAM - he called and said he made a mistake and the new 1 ton turned out to be the 2500. Or so he says. Regardless, I got more options on the 2500 and money back. In retrospect, trying to park that 1 ton in a parking lot plus backing it out, was an accident waiting to happen. The camera back-up system was so far off distance wise. Nav system screwed up, etc.

I had a 2012 2500 before. Rotten mileage. But with all the new technology since 2012, I think?? my mileage with the 2500 will be a lot better than with the 1 ton. And as I've stated on here before, I'll use the 2500 for just pulling my travel and motorcycle trailers and the heck with the mileage. In todays society, if you want to have fun, ya just gotta pay for it.

OP
OP
S

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I meant that all of my vehicles have gotten their epa estimates or better except my ram. I know there are a lot of factors going into city mileage, that is why I let my crappy average somewhat slide, my main problem is highway mileage. I have never had any codes besides a transfer case overtemp that occured when I got stuck in deep snow. I have taken it to the dealer multiple times and every time everything checks out normal so at this point I am just riding my lease out. I use an app called fuelly to track the mileage of both of our vehicles, that way there is nothing for me to lose.
I actually get better mileage than she does believe it or not, I can get quite a bit better than she can in the ram because I know how to keep it in 4 cylinder mode.
If I could get on the expressway and set the cruise to 55 and get 21 like the sticker says I would be happy, but the only time I have gotten that is with a strong tailwind.
I have tried every grade of fuel, every brand of fuel, nothing helps more than .5 mpg's.
It just makes me mad because I love driving this truck and if it wasnt for the transfer case and mileage I would be leasing another one or buying another one when my lease is up, instead I think I am going to look into a 2007 or so hd with a cummins, at least then I will have the ability to do whatever I want and still get decent mileage.
I actually just sent an email to ram customer care last Thursday and have yet to hear anything back from them, it said I would get a response within one business day but I guess that is if they choose to respond.
I know I'm not the easiest on the gas pedal but I'm not a leadfoot, I'm actually the guy everyone flips pff going down the expressway because I'm going 65 instead of 70 to try and save fuel, it makes the drive a little longer but I think it does make a difference.

Well sorry to say but I can't give you any further advice on the mileage. However I can when it comes to dealing with Chrysler. DON'T email them, call customer service, open a claim and they will give you a claim number. You will then be assigned a Case manager who is suppose to be your mouth piece. The four case mgr's that I had never once called me back. So you really have to work hard with the help of the service mgr to get any satisfaction, if any at all.

When you start dealing with Chrysler, your worries with your mileage will seem extremely minute.

One last suggestion. Look in your owners manual or Google "Lemon Law" for your State. IF you qualify for that and open a case, normally people will start listening to you.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
.......I had a 2012 2500 before. Rotten mileage. But with all the new technology since 2012, I think?? my mileage with the 2500 will be a lot better than with the 1 ton. And as I've stated on here before, I'll use the 2500 for just pulling my travel and motorcycle trailers and the heck with the mileage. In todays society, if you want to have fun, ya just gotta pay for it.

The guys I have met with the '13 & '14 CTD are getting basically the same mileage I am with my deleted '12. I didn't delete for the MPGs but it did help sell the wife on the idea ;-)

sent thru a cloud of smoke

OP
OP
S

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just a quick note about the Chevy diesel's. I had a 2007 and know a few guys who are running with the newer ones. Don't plan on getting any higher mileage with the chevy vs the Dodge. Not going to say which truck is better built or which one you should buy. Just do a lot of research before you make a huge investment.