The more I read...the less I want to install leveling kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benjamin247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
At first thought, I thought a simple leveling kit with just spacers (such as the Rough Country 2.5" kit) is all I needed to get some larger tires in (hoped for 35x12.50). But then I start reading posts saying I'll need to get new shocks or longer coils, an adjustable tracer arm. I just bought my 2017 tradesman and it came with the off-road package. Seems like such a waste to replace the brand new suspension parts...

Is anyone running just the spacers to level their trucks? I would love to hear your experiences with them.

If I need more than just the spacers, I might just wait a few years to upgrade the suspension and just stick with 33s.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I have the rough country 2.5" leveling kit with shock extensions and running 1.5" spacers in the rear. I didn't add a front adjustable track bar. At this point I'm running factory size 275/70/18 Mt tires on a set of aftermarket wheels with a ~0 offset. The wheels I got for free so not positive on offset. However I did run 35's on a +18 offset wheel with no leveling kit with 0 issues on my 15 tradesman. Most will say that spacers ruin the ride quality but every truck I've owned I've put a leveling kit in and felt it only made the truck ride better (stiffer in a good way) you will have to play with tire pressure a bit.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Have 2 inch level on mine with shock relocator brackets for 7300 miles with no issues. Put 305/70/18 stt pro's on the stock tradesman wheels and zero issues. Very happy with it. I don't get all the negative posts about the spacers. Spent $150 for the kit and $150 to get it installed plus another $95 for an alignment. I don't see the need in spending hundreds more for the same look. Very pleased with how mine turned out.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have a Tough Country #32909 2" spacer kit with shock relocation brackets included. I've had it on the truck for almost 20K miles. No issues at all. Shocks are fine, because of the bracket, and my alignment is spot on.

If anything, with a spacer kit I'd suggest an adjustable track bar but it's not absolutely needed.

I'm running 35x12.50x18 BFG KO2's on Walker Racing Racing Legacy wheels.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There's nothing wrong with a spacer and plenty have ran one for thousands of miles with no issue. Just know a spacer does create preload on the spring which can wear them out sooner but you're talking thousands of miles of use before that happens. And even with the relocation the shocks would also get some additional wear but hardly anything noticeable. As far as track bar, 2-2.5" spacer will pull axle to drivers side 1/2" or so but that's also negligible.
In my opinion, I'm going to spend the money on a level spring and shock kit. Carli has springs with Fox tuned shocks to the spring rates which will net an awesome driving and handling truck. Once I see where the axle lands I may or may not get a track bar. This is all personal preference. If you don't want to spend 1k on a set up do a spacer. Hell even Mopar offers a spacer leveling kit. I'm coming from the Jeep and BMW world where a suspension set up properly is thousands so 1k to me then the amount I've spent in the past isn't much, that's just my take. Do what you'd like and don't worry about people bashing your ideas cause it's not their preference.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I'm running the ReadyLift spacers and I can say without a doubt that they're the reason for my front suspension and steering problems. I'll be switching control arms and putting Bilstiens in there before long. There are tons of leveling kits to choose from, I would steer clear of RL and RC, their quality is sub par in my opinion.

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm running the ReadyLift spacers and I can say without a doubt that they're the reason for my front suspension and steering problems. I'll be switching control arms and putting Bilstiens in there before long. There are tons of leveling kits to choose from, I would steer clear of RL and RC, their quality is sub par in my opinion.

Heavy duty trucks don't have the issues with spacers that half tons do because of the solid axle vs the independent suspension.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Heavy duty trucks don't have the issues with spacers that half tons do because of the solid axle vs the independent suspension.

This is true, I just now saw that the OP has an HD. I would still steer clear of RL and RC though, I've run both in the past and they never worked out for me.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
if you stick with a 2" spacer and some shock extenders you'll be fine. it wont throw the axle that far off center to make a difference. hell, you might not even notice it. plenty of people run them without issue. new springs, longer shocks and an adjustable track bar are the preferred method, but smaller spacers are not terrible.

OP
OP
B

benjamin247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
if you stick with a 2" spacer and some shock extenders you'll be fine. it wont throw the axle that far off center to make a difference. hell, you might not even notice it. plenty of people run them without issue. new springs, longer shocks and an adjustable track bar are the preferred method, but smaller spacers are not terrible.

Glad to hear my 2500 won't need all those extra expenses in parts!

Are shock extenders the same as shock relocation brackets such as these:
2.5in Leveling Lift Kit for 14-16 Dodge Ram 2500 / 13-16 Ram 3500 | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

or these:
https://www.suspensionconnection.com/32908-leveling-2500.html

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Glad to hear my 2500 won't need all those extra expenses in parts!

Are shock extenders the same as shock relocation brackets such as these:
2.5in Leveling Lift Kit for 14-16 Dodge Ram 2500 / 13-16 Ram 3500 | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

or these:
https://www.suspensionconnection.com/32908-leveling-2500.html

same thing, different terminology. personally, i'd prefer hell bent steel. i've used their stuff in the past and its quality.

i will add this though. if you do take your truck off road, you may want to consider longer shocks instead of the extenders. if your truck doesnt really leave the pavement or only light offroad, you should be fine.

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I have been running the RC 2.5 front spacers for over 60k miles with 35's and no problems. I did buy the RC shocks at the same time but you don't have to have them, the kit usually includes shock relocation brackets and that's enough. I did not replace my track bar or any other parts.

I DID have the dealer do the alignment and re-center of the steering wheel so I would recommend that...as long as you have a competent dealer that is.

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I went with the Tuff Country level with nitro extended shocks instead of relocation brackets. It's been great so far and definitely looks better.

I DID have the dealer do the alignment and re-center of the steering wheel so I would recommend that...as long as you have a competent dealer that is.

As far as this goes, it takes about 5-10 minutes to do it yourself to straighten the wheel. I don't think levels will affect an alignment, just the centering of the axle that can only be fixed with an adjustable sway bar.

Both lock nuts spin the same way to tighten and loosen.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was looking into a spacer kit and would probably run one if I didn't plan on using it as a work rig but it will be under heavy loads and a lot of driving so I'm just going to go with full kit (springs, shocks and track bar) that way I won't have much to worry about

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I ran a 2.5" spacer and shock extenders for nearly 2 years no problems.

I just recently went with a Thuren coil and their overlander shocks. I know it's more than just spacers, but man, the soft ride coils make the truck ride like a dream.

I have 2 friends who have ordered full front and rear coils from Thuren. We installed them already on one truck. I am going to do the rears on mine next.

The full front and rear comes with the trackbar. I think it's ok to run without. But down the road, you may want to.

Attachments

• IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 93

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys can not compare 1/2 ton lifts with 3/4 quater ton lifts. one is ifs coil over and one is solid axle.. Op - What do you want.. your truck to do? Fly down dirt roads? a little off road venture every now and then? Thuren has a coil lvl Kit for the 2500"s that is 3 inch up front and 1inch in the rear.. They also have just a lvl coil kit.. these kits are very very affordable.. Especially if u are just wanting to do the front-

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Guys he has a 2500, stop referring to your 1500 as it's complete different animal
One person who had a 1/2 commented. Everyone else has 3/4 tons including myself
You guys can not compare 1/2 ton lifts with 3/4 quater ton lifts. one is ifs coil over and one is solid axle.. Op - What do you want.. your truck to do? Fly down dirt roads? a little off road venture every now and then? Thuren has a coil lvl Kit for the 2500"s that is 3 inch up front and 1inch in the rear.. They also have just a lvl coil kit.. these kits are very very affordable.. Especially if u are just wanting to do the front-

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk