Most weight you've pulled with your 6.4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
CC Rider,

I didn't turn this into a 6.7L verus a 6.4L thread. Nor did I turn this into a "why I chose the bells and whistles options over the diesel engine option" thread. YOU DID!

But, even if I had the diesel I would be overweight with that road warrior if you're talking loaded to max and going by specs, Right or wrong?

Yes, you would if you went by the GVWR specs that are maxed out due to the class the 2500 trucks are in is maxed out at 10,000 GVWR even though the actual specs of what the trucks individual parts like is axles, frame, and brakes put it at around 11,200 GVWR. However, that does not mean beans and in some states you can have that max GVWR changed just by registering at a higher GVWR thus giving you more payload.

When u posted the question in the rv forum you stated that my truck is a 2500 with under 3000 payload which is wrong.

Sorry, I was reading and typing that from my phone.... without my glasses on. I will correct it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Lol. Calm down. I said I was just busting balls. How is it hemi vs Cummins.? if you didn't want to know y I spent $ on options instead of the diesel , why did u mention it?

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
No joke, I'll post a pic next time I make that run. The hills aren't huge, just normal hills here in ne Oklahoma but hills still the same.
Weight isn't near as much an issue as aerodynamics. I can get the same mpg pulling 15k+ as I can pulling my work trailer with 2 portable toilets on it weighing around 5k.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Lol. Calm down. I said I was just busting balls. How is it hemi vs Cummins.?

I had no hard feelings there. Sorry if you took it that way.

if you didn't want to know y I spent $ on options instead of the diesel , why did u mention it?

I didn't mention the extra cost of the diesel first. You did here.......

Untitled.jpg
i would have bought the cummins and just ate the extra cost of the motor and the running fuel.

Which is why I said it is your preference as to what you do and that I did not want to discuss the "extra costs" and turning into a this versus that thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That quote goes with a scenario.

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Is it just me or do your threads portray you as someone who has no idea what he wants? There is no way I would be putting 15k behind a gas motor but that is just me. Can it pull it? Sure, but what if you want to vacation out west at all? Can you rule that out with 100% certainty? What if you want to take a vacation to Alaska? Don't put yourself into a corner and buy the biggest trailer you can find and then have to pick and choose where you can and can't vacation because your trucks might not pull it through the mountains very happily.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my brother has a massive hard on for a power wagon.. he currently has a 7.3 power stroke.. I out pulled him when we were moving all my crap, I live up a long steep hill... anyways.. now he really really wants a power wagon with a 6.4 lol

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Its just you. What does it matter if its gas, diesel, or electric. As long as it can do the job safely and without ruining the truck. And arent the brakes, frame , etc the same on the gas and diesel for the same truck. We are talking strictly srw's here, not duallys.

Care to elaborate? Why do i not know what i want?

You know.... my 5.7 with 3.92 gears had a 10k towing capacity (chrysler claimed) and i pulled 10k with it no problem whatsover. So, if they told me that the 3500 with the 6.4 and 4.10 can do 15k, I would believe it.

You and tex might want a great towing experience and nothing less. Maybe you want your tv to have the setup so you dont even feel the load its hauling....IDK. But some people might be satisfied with a slow rolling start and a little bouncing, chucking, etc Everyone has their own opinions. The member above says he is satisfied pulling over 15k. Of course a diesel is going to outperform the hemi. The question is what can the hemi tow safely and without damage? Ram says 15.6k

Is it just me or do your threads portray you as someone who has no idea what he wants? There is no way I would be putting 15k behind a gas motor but that is just me. Can it pull it? Sure, but what if you want to vacation out west at all? Can you rule that out with 100% certainty? What if you want to take a vacation to Alaska? Don't put yourself into a corner and buy the biggest trailer you can find and then have to pick and choose where you can and can't vacation because your trucks might not pull it through the mountains very happily.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
cc rider

How do you think Ram came up with that 15k number? What do you think the minimum speed limit in the test is? I can tell you right now that it is not 60 mph nor anywhere near it.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Its just you. What does it matter if its gas, diesel, or electric. As long as it can do the job safely and without ruining the truck. And arent the brakes, frame , etc the same on the gas and diesel for the same truck. We are talking strictly srw's here, not duallys.

No one said anything about stability or braking ability, just the ability to tow and accelerate at a decent speed.

Care to elaborate? Why do i not know what i want?

I could go back and actually look, but just off the top of my head you were going to buy a ram, and then you weren't, and then you were but didn't want to spend the money on a bighorn HD, then you ordered the truck but wouldn't actually commit to buying it, you then shopped the used market the entire time your truck was being built. You also said if the right deal came along you would buy a dually Cummins truck. Your truck arrived at the dealer and you were still unsure about buying it, you buy the truck and then instead of waiting patiently to break it in correctly you want to immediately hook onto 13k and go to town with it, now you are looking at different campers all the way up to your towing limit essentially. That is what I was referring to.

You know.... my 5.7 with 3.92 gears had a 10k towing capacity (chrysler claimed) and i pulled 10k with it no problem whatsover. So, if they told me that the 3500 with the 6.4 and 4.10 can do 15k, I would believe it.

The limiting factor with the 1500's is the chassis, they could speed wise out tow a 2500 every time because of the lower weight and 8 speed. The limiting factor with the 2500's is the power, going from towing the same trailer with my 1500 going to my 2500 the power just isn't there like I would want it to be. Chassis wise there is a night and day difference, but I was always wanting a little more down low power so I could tow in 6th gear instead of 5th.

You and tex might want a great towing experience and nothing less. Maybe you want your tv to have the setup so you dont even feel the load its hauling....IDK. But some people might be satisfied with a slow rolling start and a little bouncing, chucking, etc Everyone has their own opinions. The member above says he is satisfied pulling over 15k. Of course a diesel is going to outperform the hemi. The question is what can the hemi tow safely and without damage? Ram says 15.6k

It depends on what your definition of great is. Everyone's is going to be different. If you are fine taking a full 30 seconds to get to 60 mph and never go above 60 mph and never drive on any big hills great, maybe that is how the member is who tows 15k just fine. I work with a guy who had a 2006 Sierra 1500 with a 5.3 and he claimed to tow 10k like it wasn't even back there, obviously his definition of a good towing experience is much different than mine. Obviously it is your truck and you can do what you want with it, but I watched the ike gauntlet videos and was happy about the 1500 runs because it beat GM and kept up with the EcoBoost and never seemed to struggle at all. I then watched the 2500 videos and expected the same thing only to be sadly disappointed. Watch the same video with the Cummins truck and it doesn't even break a sweat.

Bottom line is of you never leave the flatlands you will be fine, but if you head anywhere where there are mountains I think you will be kicking yourself towing 15k. I would much rather play the what if game and buy a smaller camper to make sure I'm not limited in where I can and cannot go.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I did say the only time I was around hills was Virginia. What's wrong with trying to decide between new/used. I didn't commit because I didn't have to. The dealer ordered the truck for me under no obligation cause he knew I was looking Seriously and we couldn't agree on a price. I'll give u the part about the dually . I was considering it cause I knew I was looking at rvs like the one mentioned in this thread. It was all a matter of price. I couldn't get the dealer to give me what I wanted. I don't know what you mean by the truck came to the dealer and I was unsure about buying it. I'm going to have to say you're exaggerating unless you can tell me exactly what you're talking about. Your putting words into my mouth. I never said I'm going to hook up 13k to it immediately. I don't even have the rv yet! I'm planning for it and asking about towing break in. And yet, once again the reason for this thread is to find out what the limits are. But, go ahead and flame me for getting a camper that meets the towing Limit. Yes there is a limit . Just like the speed limiT that is where you should stop. And it is settled......no mountains, even with my imaginary trailer

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
cc rider

How do you think Ram came up with that 15k number? What do you think the minimum speed limit in the test is? I can tell you right now that it is not 60 mph nor anywhere near it.

Point being?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Point being?

You stated...

"You know.... my 5.7 with 3.92 gears had a 10k towing capacity (chrysler claimed) and i pulled 10k with it no problem whatsover. So, if they told me that the 3500 with the 6.4 and 4.10 can do 15k, I would believe it.*"

Which is why I asked. The way the tests are done, that 5.7L in your 1500 was not the limiting factor. However, that is not the same for your 6.4L in your 2500. I was just checking to see if you knew how the tests were done because it might answer some of your questions if you did.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
I tow a 37' bumper pull camper weighing right around 9,500 loaded with my truck. I came from a 2006 5.9 cummins. Needless to say the hemi does the job but after pulling the same trailer with a diesel first I'm not going to brag how well the hemi does to my diesel friends... Having pulled all sorts of trailers for several years and campers for 5+ years wind resistance is WAY more of a factor than the overall weight...

I have found that for every foot the camper/trailer extends upwards past the truck it seems to feel like it adds another 1,000 pounds of load (a complete guestimate!)

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Im waiting for you to tell me cause I dont know.

You stated...

"You know.... my 5.7 with 3.92 gears had a 10k towing capacity (chrysler claimed) and i pulled 10k with it no problem whatsover. So, if they told me that the 3500 with the 6.4 and 4.10 can do 15k, I would believe it.*"

Which is why I asked. The way the tests are done, that 5.7L in your 1500 was not the limiting factor. However, that is not the same for your 6.4L in your 2500. I was just checking to see if you knew how the tests were done because it might answer some of your questions if you did.

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I pulled my friends park model camper (either 40 or 42' long and around 11k weight), and a bumper pull. Pulled it fine, even with their messed up distribution / sway hitch setup. My run was a about 2hrs, mainly interstate, and cruised at about 60-65mph for the most part. Had no issues maintaining speeds, though some of the steeper hills she kicked down pretty good.

My biggest issue was wind that day - cross winds, moved me around pretty good (more then I liked at least). Personally I don't know if I would tow something that large again all the time, but depends on terrain and distance. Though I imagine if the hitch setup would have been correct some of my issues wouldn't have been so severe (they didn't bring tools to level hitch - setup for an expediiton vs my truck).

Per my EVIC was barely over 5mpg (again with about a 10-15mph cross wind entire time).

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I pulled my friends park model camper (either 40 or 42' long and around 11k weight), and a bumper pull. Pulled it fine, even with their messed up distribution / sway hitch setup. My run was a about 2hrs, mainly interstate, and cruised at about 60-65mph for the most part. Had no issues maintaining speeds, though some of the steeper hills she kicked down pretty good.

My biggest issue was wind that day - cross winds, moved me around pretty good (more then I liked at least). Personally I don't know if I would tow something that large again all the time, but depends on terrain and distance. Though I imagine if the hitch setup would have been correct some of my issues wouldn't have been so severe (they didn't bring tools to level hitch - setup for an expediiton vs my truck).

Per my EVIC was barely over 5mpg (again with about a 10-15mph cross wind entire time).

Every 40'-ish park model I have seen behind a cummins gets 8-10. They're a bear to tow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well....Just bought a 13 Heartland Torque 301 toy hauler. Its about 37' and weighs around 11k dry. Im thinking around 13 loaded up (if I have the bikes in there). Ill have to weigh it on a scale one of these days