MS-12633 is NOT mandatory for warranty...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Has anyone else noticed this in their "user guide"? For the 6.4L Hemi, it says right there:

"...the manufacturer only recommends full synthetic motor oils that meet the API categories of SN. The manufacturer recommends use of PUP 0W-40 or equivalent Mopar engine oil meeting the requirements of MS-12633."

This seems pretty straight forward to me...MS-12633 is recommended, but certainly not required. I don't pay attention to it either way, but people make it seem like you can lose warranty service if a different oil is used...which is clearly not the case per the wording in the manual (not to mention they'd have to prove it was the oil). This is the same as 89 octane fuel being recommended, but not required.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Now ready your warranty booklet.

3.6 Other Exclusions
Your warranties don’t cover the costs of repairing damage or conditions caused by any of the following:
• fire or accident;
• abuse or negligence;
• misuse — for example, driving over curbs or overloading;
• tampering with the emission systems, or with a part that could affect the emission systems;
• use of used parts, even if they were originally supplied by Chrysler (however, authorized Chrysler /MOPAR remanufactured parts are covered);
• windshield or rear window damage from external objects;
• any changes made to your vehicle that don’t comply with Chrysler; or
using any fluid that doesn’t meet the minimum recommendations in your Owner’s Manual.

WHAT’S NOT COVERED page 16

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Minimum recommendation is simply a SN rated oil. MS-12633 is certainly not the minimum recommendation per the wording I listed above, but instead is considered an elevated recommendation...like recommending 89 octane while stating 87 is ok also.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been using Pennzoil 0w40, but it seems that the Castrol edge 0w40 is at least as good....I'm planning on using it the next oil change

Anyone else????

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I've been using Pennzoil 0w40, but it seems that the Castrol edge 0w40 is at least as good....I'm planning on using it the next oil change

Anyone else????

Wally World started carrying PP 0w-40, only like $23 for 5 qts....grabbed a 5qt jug and a single, and added my last quart of Red Line 10w-40 to it. My 6.4 sounds better on this than y 5.7 did on the 0w-20 variation, so I might stick to this since it's so easy to get and is insanely affordable. Just doing 5k OCI's I don't really need to use the top dollar stuff...but I might do 5qt PP 0w-40 and 2qt Red Line 10w-40 to thicken it up a bit and keep it from shearing as much.

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
I'm starting to think I have to be the only guy on this forum that uses what was in it, what's recommended, and doesn't worry about it hahaha!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
I use what came in it from the factory also. Cant go wrong come trade in time, when I've got documentation of whats been run through the engine.

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm starting to think I have to be the only guy on this forum that uses what was in it, what's recommended, and doesn't worry about it hahaha!

X3 - I just don't get the point of deviating. I bought a 6-pack of changes at the dealer and it comes out to about $65 per change. I get all the updates and recalls done when I'm there and it's just easy.

The last time I shopped it the price of the oil alone was north of $40 + the filter and I've got to be into it for at least $50. $15 for someone to crawl around under my truck and then dispose of everything? All while enjoying a free cup of stale coffee? Hell yeah, sign me up!

Soldier of The Law

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Nah your not alone. I've only used the recommended oil ... do it myself when the truck says it's time .... reset and forget until the next time.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I use Amsoil, but it has the MS-12633 on it too.

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
X3 - I just don't get the point of deviating. I bought a 6-pack of changes at the dealer and it comes out to about $65 per change. I get all the updates and recalls done when I'm there and it's just easy.

The last time I shopped it the price of the oil alone was north of $40 + the filter and I've got to be into it for at least $50. $15 for someone to crawl around under my truck and then dispose of everything? All while enjoying a free cup of stale coffee? Hell yeah, sign me up!

I don't have the liberty of being able to drop my truck off at the dealer (change my oil every 2 months and schedule is unpredictable).

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Wally World started carrying PP 0w-40, only like $23 for 5 qts....grabbed a 5qt jug and a single, and added my last quart of Red Line 10w-40 to it. My 6.4 sounds better on this than y 5.7 did on the 0w-20 variation, so I might stick to this since it's so easy to get and is insanely affordable. Just doing 5k OCI's I don't really need to use the top dollar stuff...but I might do 5qt PP 0w-40 and 2qt Red Line 10w-40 to thicken it up a bit and keep it from shearing as much.

Damn! I hope the WW starts stocking PP 0/40 up here in Ohio!

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi

Yeah the new packaging is a little confusing...every jug is bright yellow, and just the stickers are different, as opposed to the PP stuff being in the silver jug before. Now what would be really nice is if they started stocking PUP in 5qt jugs for <$30.

rabbitreborn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I bought the 4 pack of changes for $180 from my dealer..... averages out to $45 per change and there is no question as to the fluid being used if there is ever a warranty claim..... Just makes good sense to let them do it at that price. Plus as you said, they do all the updates and any recalls while it's in there while I talk to the parts department about future upgrades.....

The only issue I am having is that I have spoken to 3 separate dealers that are all telling me to change the oil at 5k miles, yet the oil life incicator on the Evic shows 35% life left at that interval...... If Chrysler wants the oil changed at 5k, why not have the indicator read closer to 0% at 5k miles??

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I bought the 4 pack of changes for $180 from my dealer..... averages out to $45 per change and there is no question as to the fluid being used if there is ever a warranty claim..... Just makes good sense to let them do it at that price. Plus as you said, they do all the updates and any recalls while it's in there while I talk to the parts department about future upgrades.....

The only issue I am having is that I have spoken to 3 separate dealers that are all telling me to change the oil at 5k miles, yet the oil life incicator on the Evic shows 35% life left at that interval...... If Chrysler wants the oil changed at 5k, why not have the indicator read closer to 0% at 5k miles??

3200 miles on current oil change and 69% left so I am guessing close to 8000+ miles. For me that is just about 2 years worth of driving, I go to the dealer closer to 4000 miles as I love looking/purchasing a new vehicle while waiting for the change.:happy107:

ollie770

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

My local Wal-Mart has the new yellow 5 qt jugs of PP in 0W-40 BUT it says PP EURO Full Synthetic on the label. It must be different because on the back of the jug it does NOT list or mention MS-12633. Their website shows the same - the EURO formula doesn't list the Chrysler spec. Anybody else notice this?

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My local Wal-Mart has the new yellow 5 qt jugs of PP in 0W-40 BUT it says PP EURO Full Synthetic on the label. It must be different because on the back of the jug it does NOT list or mention MS-12633. Their website shows the same - the EURO formula doesn't list the Chrysler spec. Anybody else notice this?

PP does not fulfill MS-12633, it's the PUP that does.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
It is the MS-12633 that is the requirement, not a certain brand of oil. By law, if a manufacturer told you that you had to only use an exact brand of oil then they would have to provide that oil for free per the Magnuson-Moss Act. The way the manufacturer insures that you run the right oil is by requiring that it meets MS-12633 test standards. It is also a way for the vehicle manufacturer to make money too since they can charge the oil companies to either test or verify their product for this certification or charge them for the test procedures.

Basically, if the oil manufacturer wants their oil to be MS-12633 qualified then they have have to make it pass the MS-12633 test specs. Their oil could possibly already pass these specs, but until it is tested and passes, then it won't be MS-12633 certified.

At Cummins, we recommended Valvoline because they had marketing deal with Cummins which I am sure Cummins made money on. However, just about every major brand was listed as "Alternatives" (as shown in the picture below) and would not void warranty or diminish the reliability of the engine in any way if they were used just as long as they met the test standards for that engine. Meeting the qualifications was important, not the brand.

Oil recommendations.jpg

Last edited: