MS-12633 is NOT mandatory for warranty...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kabong57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW 4WD Reg Cab Long Bed
Engine
6.4L
Valvoline Full Synthetic 0W-40 has meet the MS 12633 specs and is now on the label. On sale now at NAPA @ $4.79 a quart. Also Valvoline has a mail in rebate for a free pair of Mechanics work gloves with a 5 quart purchase.

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I feel like the wording is ambiguous enough that they wouldn't be able to deny a single oil related warranty claim, so long as the person was using an SN oil.

Ram Vendetta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Has anyone else noticed this in their "user guide"? For the 6.4L Hemi, it says right there:

"...the manufacturer only recommends full synthetic motor oils that meet the API categories of SN. The manufacturer recommends use of PUP 0W-40 or equivalent Mopar engine oil meeting the requirements of MS-12633."

This seems pretty straight forward to me...MS-12633 is recommended, but certainly not required. I don't pay attention to it either way, but people make it seem like you can lose warranty service if a different oil is used...which is clearly not the case per the wording in the manual (not to mention they'd have to prove it was the oil). This is the same as 89 octane fuel being recommended, but not required.

Ram Vendetta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So, that means when you're WRONG, which you ABSOLUTELY are, that YOU'LL cover the costs when Ram declines the warranty due to NOT using the right oil specs.
And before you go spewing more trash dealerships DO an oil analysis before ANY internal engine work is warranted.
By your logic run water through it & when it seized, I can say well CLOWN said I can use water.

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
Mine is running best it ever has with Mobil delvac 15w40 Ck4/SN….. out of warranty so who cares… time will tell… one thing I noticed is that the MDS turns on and stays on much longer with the Delvac..

52k miles

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, that means when you're WRONG, which you ABSOLUTELY are, that YOU'LL cover the costs when Ram declines the warranty due to NOT using the right oil specs.
And before you go spewing more trash dealerships DO an oil analysis before ANY internal engine work is warranted.
By your logic run water through it & when it seized, I can say well CLOWN said I can use water.
Five year old thread. The person you replied to hasn’t logged in since 2021.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is running best it ever has with Mobil delvac 15w40 Ck4/SN….. out of warranty so who cares… time will tell… one thing I noticed is that the MDS turns on and stays on much longer with the Delvac..

52k miles
And you are ok with that? Most people don’t like mds activated.

Ram Vendetta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

52k miles
Just another no nothing clown.

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
I’m fine with MDS, people need to calm down with the oil stuff, you may have problems keeping your warranty if you go away from PUP 0w40, but I’m out of warranty and really don’t care. 40w is 40w oil, 0w is a catch all for northern state’s winters.

Almost every dude on this site who’s engine took a dump used PUP 0w40 exclusively. The answer is you either have a good engine or you don’t… that goes for all makes of vehicles not just ram. People think that these hemi engines are so special that they require their own special oil brew, what a joke… it’s just a simple mass production American pushrod V8. This oil crap comes from the fact that the brand is owned by Euro idiots.

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I’m fine with MDS, people need to calm down with the oil stuff, you may have problems keeping your warranty if you go away from PUP 0w40, but I’m out of warranty and really don’t care. 40w is 40w oil, 0w is a catch all for northern state’s winters.

Almost every dude on this site who’s engine took a dump used PUP 0w40 exclusively. The answer is you either have a good engine or you don’t… that goes for all makes of vehicles not just ram. People think that these hemi engines are so special that they require their own special oil brew, what a joke… it’s just a simple mass production American pushrod V8. This oil crap comes from the fact that the brand is owned by Euro idiots.

I haven't noticed that correlation about PUP and engine failures, and I've really only got personal experience to go by...but when my '17 Wagon quit running (which turned out to be the MAP sensor, apparently?), I'd been running Mobil 1 since new with changes every 5k miles, and a bore scope and oil analysis showed no issues or shavings in the oil. They'd already turned the motor by hand and found all rockers moving properly so they knew it wasn't a failed lifter or a wiped cam.

There's some luck of the draw on if you got a good motor or not, but there's also the maintenance factor - if you take care of it, its longevity goes up.