My MegaCab and Cooper Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
So, I am finally at the point where I need to replace the factory tires on my '15 MC. For the longest time I had my heart set on the Cooper ST Max in 295/70-18. Since it is just about "go-time" on a purchase I have been now looking at the Cooper AT/3 in the same size. Both have same load rating of over 4K lbs and same height/width, etc. price wise is about $5 more per tire for the Max which is not a factor for me.

Usage for my 2500 is mostly road trips to Montana and Oklahoma from SoCal. Usage on the 4x4 system on my truck at tires will be local mountains snow and ice, Oklahoma snow and ice as well as dirt roads on the hunting lease and the occasional dirt/county roads in Montana. We will be traveling to MT over Christmas in 2018 too.

50/50 chance in the next 12 months we will be getting a larger travel trailer.

Knowing this, which of the two would you get.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I personally would go with the maxx. I pretty much use my truck same as yours. Dirt roads, snow/ ice, I would want something on the aggressive side.

My next set is going to between the maxx and nitto trail grapplers.

RAM-pagingMN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i went with the Stt pro, and love the look of them. having them installed with the lift here soon, i did a bunch of research and from what i can tell, they have great tread life, quiet, yet have a aggressive pattern for off roading. Was never a fan of coopers until i seen these.

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Around here, the majority of the loggers run the Maxx, they simply hold up the best to gravel road abuse. I've had all kinds of tires over the years, I really like the AT3's. They did great in the snow and had good hwy manners. My next tires will be the 295/70/18, I love that size and rating. For me it will between 2 tires I've recently had, the Michelin Defender LTX and the AT3's.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I tried the AT/3's on my old 1500 and now using 35" ST/Maxx on my 2500 now. The AT/3's were a pretty good tire overall, but never really cared for the way they looked. Compared to the ST/Maxx they are quieter, which you would expect. The ST/Maxx are wearing very well so far, MUCH better than the KO2's I had prior. As mentioned, you do hear a little hum but it's still pretty quiet compared to most mud tires I've heard. They are very good in snow, mud and anything off-road that I've encountered so far.

Magnumv8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been running the ST/Maxx 295/70/18 on my '14 2500 for nearly 3 years now. They have just under 38,000 miles on them and are approaching the wear bars. I would say I can run them to about 45,000 before they will need to be replaced.

They have been a great tire. Very quiet, great traction wet, dry, or snow. I plow snow and have no problems with traction while pushing.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Wow, I love the look of the ST Max, I might have to look at those when I'm ready to get some more tires, the Cooper AT/s look good also. How is the road noise of both and will you lose mileage with them?

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow, I love the look of the ST Max, I might have to look at those when I'm ready to get some more tires, the Cooper AT/s look good also. How is the road noise of both and will you lose mileage with them?

Well the AT3 will be best for mpg as they are lighter and have less of a lug tread pattern. I love the Maxx, but these days I would lean to the AT3 personally.

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I have been running the ST/Maxx 295/70/18 on my '14 2500 for nearly 3 years now. They have just under 38,000 miles on them and are approaching the wear bars. I would say I can run them to about 45,000 before they will need to be replaced.

They have been a great tire. Very quiet, great traction wet, dry, or snow. I plow snow and have no problems with traction while pushing.

Magnum, do you have any pics of your truck with these tires on it?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the AT3s and I can't say enough good about them. Quiet on the highway, and great in the snow, sand, and to an extent mud. Definitely not the most aggressive tire but a good all around at tire. 11000 miles on mine and they still look almost new.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Well the AT3 will be best for mpg as they are lighter and have less of a lug tread pattern. I love the Maxx, but these days I would lean to the AT3 personally.

Yeah, I like the look of the AT3, I'm leaning more toward those when I have to replaces my stock tires.

ljn21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those with the St Maxx (hopefully in 35x12.5x20 size) - any insights onto how the width runs, is it true to what Cooper specs on their site or smaller/larger in real life?

I am debating now between the ST Maxx and the STT Pro...I was originally set on the STT Pro but my truck is a daily driver as well as the weekend toy...everyone says the STT Pro are quiet..but then add the caveat/rider "for a MT tire"...anyone have insights into how the road noise would be between the Maxx and Pro?

Also considering the Toyo R/T...but same kind of findings in my readings...low noise "for an aggressive tread" type of thing.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I went from GY MTR/K's to the Cooper ST/Maxx's on my Wrangler. Both 35x12.5r15's though. The Coopers are quiet. Very quiet, compared to the MTR/K's anyways. I've had no problem with them in any terrain.

I think they run a tad narrow.

IMG_20161201_081426.jpg

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm currently running the ST/Maxx in the 35x12.5x20. It's certainly quieter than trucks I've been in with mud terrain tires, but you can still hear a slight hum at highway speeds. In comparison, the BFG KO2's were about silent but they wore horribly. I'll run a tape measure across them tomorrow but they fill the wheel wells pretty well overall.

Ram2500Centerline2_zpsq61veg3b.jpg

ljn21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm currently running the ST/Maxx in the 35x12.5x20. It's certainly quieter than trucks I've been in with mud terrain tires, but you can still hear a slight hum at highway speeds. In comparison, the BFG KO2's were about silent but they wore horribly. I'll run a tape measure across them tomorrow but they fill the wheel wells pretty well overall.

Ram2500Centerline2_zpsq61veg3b.jpg

Like nice. Do you have a lift/level? Wheel specs? I think the Maxx look narrow as well for a x12.5, which they made a x13.5 in the Maxx like they do with the STT Pros.