Need Help, asap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jpeyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, been awhile since I've been on here. I have a 14' 2500 with the Cummins and 68rfe auto trans. I did the EGR delete with 5" turbo back exhaust, tuned with Hardway performance & EFI live. Truck ran great for the past 4-5 months. Trans line pressure was always at 170psi, never went above that. *Truck only has 55k miles*

About 2 weeks ago, I had to take a 6 hour trip for a death in the family. I got all the way to Virginia and the trans took a $hit on me. The fluid looks good, I pulled the trans pan to check internal screw on filter, everything was good. The truck has no gear selection at all- every gear feels like neutral. This all just happened out of nowhere. No signs of slippage, hesitation, etc. Which leads me to belive it it something electronic. I was literally just driving down the road and lost travel. I put the truck back to stock in hopes that maybe the tune had a malfunction, no luck.

It is giving me a dummy code U0102 "lost communication with transfer case control module" everything I've tested seems fine, it is getting CAN communication. Has anyone else had this issue? Figured I'd check here before burning it to the ground, lol.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Try to reset the code. You can do that by pulling the PCM fuse or the negative battery cable.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Locate the TCM(Transmission control module) and make sure it is connected and communicating wit the ECM. Make sure all the pins are straight and intact.

OP
OP
Jpeyatt

Jpeyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try to reset the code. You can do that by pulling the PCM fuse or the negative battery cable.

When I installed the stock tune, it should have cleared all stored CEL's. I will double check though.

OP
OP
Jpeyatt

Jpeyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Locate the TCM(Transmission control module) and make sure it is connected and communicating wit the ECM. Make sure all the pins are straight and intact.

I will check that tonight. Is there a specific place to check pin connections? I could of swore I was reading a thread that mentioned damaged pins by the firewall, but I can't find it now. Thank you for the help.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I agree on checking the TCM cable connections as well. Make sure they are clean, with no condensation dirt bent pins, etc...

If you have some electrical contact cleaner use that at both ends of the harness.

Swampfox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have the 4x4 shifter on the floor?

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Op, there is an actuator on the backside of the transfer case. Unharness it, check the pins and plug it back together. Sounds like a loss of communication and the transfer case went to neutral.

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Also, have someone turn the dash dial back and forth while your feeling/listening to the actuator. That would be my first step.

OP
OP
Jpeyatt

Jpeyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. One of the first things I tried was the transfer case actuator. Everything there is working as it should. I thought maybe the actuator wasn't engaging all the way causing the issues, but once I engage it, I can't turn the front drives haft by hand. When I disengage is, I can free spin it by hand. I'm going to check all of the TCM connections tonight. I apperciate all of the ideas, if you can think of anything else, please don't hesitate to post it!