New 2014 6.4 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cheeseball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys new to this forum. I've been over at the Cummins forum but since my latest purchase of my 2014 Ram 6.4 I've decided to get setup over here.

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 CC
Engine
Hi cheeseball,

The best overall information for the 25/3500 trucks is still over there....the admin of this site won't give us 6.4 HD fans our own sub-forum. Nevertheless, there is some good 6.4 information in the "sticky" thread.

Olli

OP
OP
C

cheeseball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome.
Your gonna love your new truck.
I know I do>

The first thing I want to do is replace my stock quiet muffler. I've been reading a few reports about the mufflex system for our 6.4's. My greatest concern is droning in the cab! Does anyone have a firm answer on the droning issue's with aftermarket mufflers? I'm so ready to purchase something but I don't want to end up with something that causes me to have to go back to stock and waste my money.

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I am about to pull the trigger on exhaust as well.
Love my truck but it sounds like a big **** with the stock setup.
I am not going to pay $300 for mufflex that is nothing more then some pipe and a Magnaflow muffler.

Here is what I'm doing.
Flowmaster 40 Series Race Muffler 409SS - 3.50 Offset In / 3.50 Opposite Offset Out
It is only $121 on Amazon with free shipping.
This will replace the factory 28" long muffler with this one that is only 13" long.
My local muffler shop guy said he would install this for $60 and we can try it out with the resonator first then he will take resonator off if I want.
The only thing that will have to be done is add a straight piece of 3.5" pipe in front of or behind the new muffler to make up for the difference in length and he will have to a piece where the resonator was.
So for just under $200 Im going to get a nice setup that will sound great and maybe give a slight improvement in performance over stock.
There is no sense in changing all the SS nice factory piping, as I dont see any real benefit in changing it all out for a stock motor.
The factory choke points aren't that big of deal because they flow into such large pipe after that.

Just my 2 cents and what I am planning on doing.

Product Details

OP
OP
C

cheeseball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am not going to pay $300 for mufflex that is nothing more then some pipe and a Magnaflow muffler.

Here is what I'm doing.
Flowmaster 40 Series Race Muffler 409SS - 3.50 Offset In / 3.50 Opposite Offset Out
This will replace the factory 28" long muffler with this one that is only 13" long.
My local muffler shop guy said he would install this for $60 and we can try it out with the resonator first then he will take resonator off if I want.
The only thing that will have to be done is add a straight piece of 3.5" pipe in front of or behind the new muffler to make up for the difference in length and he will have to a piece where the resonator was.
So for just under $200 Im going to get a nice setup that will sound great and maybe give a slight improvement in performance over stock.
There is no sense in changing all the SS nice factory piping, as I dont see any real benefit in changing it all out for a stock motor.
The factory choke points aren't that big of deal because they flow into such large pipe after that.

Product Details

Over on the Cummins Forum one of the guys installed the Flowmaster 50HD muffler and it droned so bad that he's going back to stock. Just thought you might find that info useful as you're considering a Flowmaster setup. The 50HD is a big muffler and it droned bad so.......?

Blackout 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Welcome Cheeseball, I am also on the Cummins forum and have seen your posts over there, but agree not much love for the 6.4 over there. Hopefully this site will pick up, but after bouncing back and forth between the two the past month, there is not a whole lot new over here either.

I am getting the Magnaflow catback system, hopefully will have it shipped by next week.

Mike

OP
OP
C

cheeseball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome Cheeseball, I am also on the Cummins forum and have seen your posts over there, but agree not much love for the 6.4 over there. Hopefully this site will pick up, but after bouncing back and forth between the two the past month, there is not a whole lot new over here either.

I am getting the Magnaflow catback system, hopefully will have it shipped by next week.

Mike

Yeah I really want to go with the Mufflex setup but I've had drone issues with other gassers and I wasted a lot of money for nothing. Let me know how it goes with the Magna Flow! Which muffler you going to use?

Blackout 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah I really want to go with the Mufflex setup but I've had drone issues with other gassers and I wasted a lot of money for nothing. Let me know how it goes with the Magna Flow! Which muffler you going to use?

It is the full catback system, so it does not list a part number for just the muffler. On the website for magna flow, they only show one muffler that has 3.5" in/out but it is a center in and offset out. I am not sure if this is the one in the kit or not, as the picture on the website says it may not be the actual components ???

So, I am waiting to see what shows up and hopefully will like the way it sounds once installed.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have been told that the reason our trucks and the 5.7's have a resonator is to kill any and all drone/mainly because when mds activates, there can be drone.

MikeG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have to remember that one persons drone is another persons perfect sound.

HAMMER77777

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Welcome, cheese, to the other side. enjoy your Hemi! I sure am!

HAMMER77777

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Hi cheeseball,

The best overall information for the 25/3500 trucks is still over there....the admin of this site won't give us 6.4 HD fans our own sub-forum. Nevertheless, there is some good 6.4 information in the "sticky" thread.

Olli

Hey dude, how are things in Montville? I remember that Don Pepe steakhouse not far from there. Anyway, good to see u come over to "the other side". LOL:roflsquared:

OP
OP
C

cheeseball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome, cheese, to the other side

Thanks for the welcome!

I hear ya! I've owned 6 Ram trucks 3 of them with the Cummins. So I posted over there about my 6.4 and it got ugly. The moderator is deleting threads, yelling at people etc. Such a joke it's become! I'm just looking for some fellow 6.4 Ram owners to get feedback from regarding CAI, exhaust and maybe some custom tunes. I also want to level my truck and run some 35's like I had on my Cummins trucks. I did get my Amp Research Steps installed!

HAMMER77777

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Thanks for the welcome!

I hear ya! I've owned 6 Ram trucks 3 of them with the Cummins. So I posted over there about my 6.4 and it got ugly. The moderator is deleting threads, yelling at people etc. Such a joke it's become! I'm just looking for some fellow 6.4 Ram owners to get feedback from regarding CAI, exhaust and maybe some custom tunes. I also want to level my truck and run some 35's like I had on my Cummins trucks. I did get my Amp Research Steps installed!

Ya those people there are annoying snobs (some of them). Awesome u got the steps! As for levelling, exhaust, and what have you, Im sure there will be people on here that Know about that stuff. I dont Know about any of that stuff, as i just drive her just as she came from the factory, so sorry i cant help with that!

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Here is what I'm doing.

Product Details

I know you don't have to deal with salt down in Texas but I would say spend the extra $100 and get something that is stainless. If aluminized pipe lasts down there go for it, I just know that after 2 years alumized pipe and mufflers are piles of rust up here.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I know you don't have to deal with salt down in Texas but I would say spend the extra $100 and get something that is stainless. If aluminized pipe lasts down there go for it, I just know that after 2 years alumized pipe and mufflers are piles of rust up here.

I agree, the original owner put aluminium pipes and they're all pale and rusty, the tips are still somewhat ok but I'm changing to MBRP dual side exits -stainless steel come next spring.

I just hope it sounds as good as the current magnaflow 14"

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Um. Did this thread just get off topic or what?
Yall go fight somewhere else.

skHemi64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was over at there also. Got the 6.4 after my 5.9 destroyed itself (not the original engine). I probably could have had it transported home 450 miles and tried to fix or swap out the engine, but that 6.4 had my name on it!

You're in good company.