New to 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WichitaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hello,

so I just traded my 2013 1500 CC Sport for a 2016 2500 CC Outdoorsman Cummins yesterday. Had to upgrade due to the fact I bought a 30' travel trailer and did feel comfortable towing with the 1500. This will be the first diesel I have owned and looking to keep it forever. Just looking for any pointers.

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Keep an eye on your maintenance schedule. You can order your primary and secondary fuel filter/water separator from amazon in a set. They'll run you anywhere from 80 to 90 bucks. Changing the oil is a little more expensive depending on what you choose. I run Mobil One delvac ESP 5W-40 which is really pricey, but to me, worth it. I run the mobil one extended performance filter also. Not everybody's cup of tea to spend that much to change your oil but to each his own. Welcome to the Diesel family. Enjoy that truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

zflat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Congrats on the new ride! I upgraded from a 2016 1500 to a 2016 2500 (6.4 Hemi) for the same reason. I was aggravated at first, but I like this truck much more so it's a win in my book. The only difference on the 1500 and 2500 that really comes to mind is the tire pressure. The trucks call for 80 psi in the rear, which leads to a rough ride, increased tire wear, and poor fuel economy. Lowering to 55-60 (I run 60, but a lot of guys around here swear by 55) will help with the three things I mentioned, however your TMPS is going to come on in the dash. It's worth the trade off to me, just make sure you air back up before pulling your TT the next time!

Also, if you read the sticky at the top of the thread you'll find that the only way ppl know of right now to turn off the TMPS is to tune your truck with an Autel or similar tuner which costs big $$$.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Congrats! Nothing like towing with a Cummins.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The solid front axle is a big difference too. The TPMS is a royal PITA but it can be adjusted for far less than the full price of an Autel. If anyone is interested, please send me a PM and I'll gladly explain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do all services when they are due. Better yet, if you tow a lot, do them before they are due.

Don't scrimp on filters, get the good ones, and change them out on schedule.

Don't use the cheapest #2 diesel you can find. Use good quality fuel.

Congrats on the new truck.

rabbitreborn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hello,

so I just traded my 2013 1500 CC Sport for a 2016 2500 CC Outdoorsman Cummins yesterday. Had to upgrade due to the fact I bought a 30' travel trailer and did feel comfortable towing with the 1500. This will be the first diesel I have owned and looking to keep it forever. Just looking for any pointers.

Congrats on the new truck. I seriously considered the diesel but the extra 2k of towing capacity wasn't worth the extra 10k price tag or the added maintenance costs for me. Plus I lucked into a 2016 for 10k below window sticker that only had 3400 miles on it. I know I enjoy my truck and I'm sure you will too.....

Congrats on the new ride! I upgraded from a 2016 1500 to a 2016 2500 (6.4 Hemi) for the same reason. I was aggravated at first, but I like this truck much more so it's a win in my book. The only difference on the 1500 and 2500 that really comes to mind is the tire pressure. The trucks call for 80 psi in the rear, which leads to a rough ride, increased tire wear, and poor fuel economy. Lowering to 55-60 (I run 60, but a lot of guys around here swear by 55) will help with the three things I mentioned, however your TMPS is going to come on in the dash. It's worth the trade off to me, just make sure you air back up before pulling your TT the next time!

Also, if you read the sticky at the top of the thread you'll find that the only way ppl know of right now to turn off the TMPS is to tune your truck with an Autel or similar tuner which costs big $$$.

There are many people out there (myself included) that have spent the money to purchase an Autel unit and are willing to help their fellow Ram owners reset the TPMS for very minimal cost. Some of them even mail the unit to you if you are not located close to someone that has one of them.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Just an FYI regarding filters. Do not feel the need that you have to buy the overly priced Mopar filters. Fleetguard(aka Cummins Filtration) makes the secondary(engine) fuel and oil filter, and Racor makes the primary(chassis) fuel filter for Mopar.

The Mopar filter is not the highest quality version in regards to the oil filter. Fleetgaurd makes two variants of oil filters and the oil filter Mopar sells is the lesser of the two. Fleetguard number LF3972 is the lower version that Mopar sells which has 30 micron efficiency of 95%. The upgraded Stratopore version is the LF16035 which has a 30 micron efficiency of 100%.

In regards to the secondary fuel filter, Fleetguard also makes two versions. However, Mopar sells both versions but under different part numbers. The regular version is an FS43255 which is a Mopar 68065608AA. The upgraded version is an FS53000 which is a Mopar 68157291AA. A lot of times these online places that sell you a Mopar filter kit for $80-$90, it is with the lower version of these two filters.

Last edited:

Rockk88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
Hi, I'm new to the Cummins world as well. Traded my 2014 1500 in for a 2014 Rocky Ridge Phantom 2500. Love the truck so far!!!! Not new to the diesel world, so I know fully the importance of maintenance!

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is a " Rocky Ridge Phantom 2500"? Is that like a dealer special where they add like wheels,tint,lift-

Just did some research and looks like it is a grp that partners with certain dealerships to do modified vehicles.

This is further more proof that simple mods won't void ur warranty-It all comes down to your dealer and what they are willing to do for you.

Last edited:

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Congrats! I did the same. Towing experience will be light years better with the Cummins icing on the cake :happy107: