New 2500 took a dump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grubbster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2014 2500 with 6.4 that I got about 6 weeks ago (1200 miles). Went to work yesterday, truck ran fine, came home for lunch, truck ran fine, got in truck to go back to work, dead in the water. No power what so ever. No lights, no door chime, nothing. Checked the battery and had 12.65V so it was not dead. Tried jumping and nothing. Had to have it towed to the dealer where they are looking at it. Anyone had something like this happen? Any ideas what could be the problem?

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
did you check to see if its part of the RF module recall?

OP
OP
G

grubbster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The dealer didn't say anything about a recall. I talked to them this morning and they said they hooked it up to their diagnostics and got nothing. The diagnostic computer did not even recognize it was hooked to my truck. Either the truck computer or wiring is fried. They said it would be at least several days before they even can tell what is going on. Anyone know what is involved in replacing the computer?

Burntfire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would try to get a new truck depending on what they say. No new truck should be having this major of an issue.

dsw1519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
HEMI 5.7 8 Spd.
I had this issue happen just a few weeks ago with my Jeep Wrangler. Turns out there was an issue with the software that controls the power distribution, and that was the cause. They did a "system update" as they called it. It was an intermittent problem where it would be dead with nothing, then later in the day it would start fine, then be dead again. Took the dealer a few days to figure it out.

OP
OP
G

grubbster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Luckily I wasn't on a camping trip somewhere. Also lucky I don't have one planned for the next couple weeks. I don't think the smelly POS rental car I got will pull my camper.:) The dealer does seem to be taking care of me because they are paying for the rental car even though they told me it was not normally covered under Chrysler warranty. Hopefully they will make everything right, whatever that may involve. Crap like this makes me loose confidence in a vehicle (not necessarily a brand). I like to be able to trust that my vehicle will not break down on me for no apparent reason.

OP
OP
G

grubbster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just got an update from the dealer. They have it running but not fixed yet. They said it was the RF module went bad and took the CANCBUS down (don't know if those terms are right since I couldn't understand her well). Anyway they have the RF module on order and they are going to see if that fixes it or if other things pop up. The did tell me there was a recall for an update on that module but there were no reports of that causing this kind of problem. I told her she needed to update the database because it happened now. :crazy:

2014StormTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Longhorn 4x4 2003 LY Evo VIII ER Built 2.2L
Engine
6.7 CTD / 4G63
well atleast you are moving in the right direction! haha

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That was the recall I was talking about. Glad I'm getting mine done sat

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Dad's '14 6.4 went in for that recall as well.
Hasn't had any issues with his.

Glad to hear they're tracking the problem down n fixing it!

OP
OP
G

grubbster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yep, you hit the nail on the head. Makes me wish for the old days before computers ran the world. Hard to believe a radio module could take down the entire truck.

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep, you hit the nail on the head. Makes me wish for the old days before computers ran the world. Hard to believe a radio module could take down the entire truck.
It isn't the radio. It's an rf module (radio frequency) which is the brain behind the keyless entry and also your ignition key. Best I can figure is the key has an rfid chip in it for close proximity recognition by the module. So instead of the typical profile of the key going into an ignition cylinder and moving plungers to start the truck, the rf module acts as a gateway and won't let it start until the proper key is inserted and transmits the proper signal that the module is expecting.

That module malfunctions and your dead in the water

Last edited:

cheeseball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got my 6.4 2 weeks ago. Is there a recall for this RF issue? Can I take mine in even if I'm having no issues?

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just got my 6.4 2 weeks ago. Is there a recall for this RF issue? Can I take mine in even if I'm having no issues?
There is a recall. Check your Vin first. If it isn't part of the recall don't sweat it.

OP
OP
G

grubbster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Got mine back today. They installed the new RF module and everything worked fine. Hopefully no problems after this. Would hate to loose confidence in the truck.

Blackout 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There is a recall. Check your Vin first. If it isn't part of the recall don't sweat it.

Where do I check my VIN at? is there a site that lists what trucks are affected?

Thanks,

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was just talking to the service manager when I had my first oil change done (along with the RF module recall). Gone are the days most of us older guys remember working on cars. What were those three again? spark, fuel and vacuum or something like that. There's a whole lot going on under that hood that I know NOTHING about.

Ramtop

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4L
Where do I check my VIN at? is there a site that lists what trucks are affected?

Thanks,

Go on to the Ram Truck or Mopar website, click on the owners section and you will find a listing to be able to type in your VIN # to check for any recalls or updates.