new here, considering 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RoadDog66

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok dealer screwed me. Sold the truck without telling me after we made a deal and scheduled appt. I drove an hour and a half to get there after they confirmed my appt that morning only to tell me the truck was sold. I was livid and went off on saleman and manager. They tried to find me a another truck only to then raise the price to freight it in. Ridiculous and shady business practices at these dealers anymore.

OP
OP
RoadDog66

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Quick question. Does going with 3.73 gears lower the payload? Or just the tow limit?

Considering going with that because the deals on the few trucks with 4.10's are all gone or don't have the right options. Tons of 3.73 trucks with exactly what i need other than gears. Looking to buy a 5th wheel around 10K lbs dry next year. Just wanted 4.10 gears to have a buffer.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Quick question. Does going with 3.73 gears lower the payload? Or just the tow limit?

Considering going with that because the deals on the few trucks with 4.10's are all gone or don't have the right options. Tons of 3.73 trucks with exactly what i need other than gears. Looking to buy a 5th wheel around 10K lbs dry next year. Just wanted 4.10 gears to have a buffer.

6.4L?

Based on the charts I have seen, payload remains the same with 3.73s and 4.10, however the towing limit is much different.

FWIW, I have 3.73s and I like em.......but I don't tow 10-12,000lbs.

Frankly, 10K dry......chances are you will come close to the GCVW with the 3.73s if you start loading things up and add people etc. to the equation. Sure you can swap gears out....any competent shop can do that, but what they can't change is that damn sticker with your GCVW and depending on state regs you could have an issue towing over the stickers limit.

But, WTF do I know............:favorites13:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
The axle ratio only changes the tow rating, the payload rating is the same for either axle ratio. The payload tables in the Fiat brochure do not even list axle ratios whereas the tow rating tables do. Look around, maybe wait till the 2016 models hit the lots and you will be able to get a much better price on a new 15 obviously. By the way I bought my 14 3500 DRW 6.4L 4X4, which was stickered at 42K for 31K delivered with 3K worth of add-ons in March of 14. I think 40K for the used 6.4L Laramie with 25K on the clock was a bit steep, you could probably negotiate a couple K north of 40K for a brand new lararmie 6.4L. Also when you buy new the interest rate is usually lower and the term go slightly longer as well so your payment could actually be less on a new truck than a used one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RoadDog66

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the info guys. Found 2 more trucks that will meet my needs, but both are 2+ hrs away. This is frustrating. So many 3.73's and only needle in a haystack for the 4.10's. I'll keep searching until I find the right one or it finds me.

OP
OP
RoadDog66

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok I've had 2 trucks get sold out from under me after making verbal deals on them and the 3rd one I found sold in less than 12 hrs before I got hold of the dealer directly. So for the life of me I couldn't find a 4.10 truck in my price range with the other options I wanted within 200 miles. There were several loaded up Laramie's and a couple Blackouts with Nav, sunroof, etc that were $3-5K too much even before the $2500 in tax/tags.

Since this is a daily driver first and tow vehicle second I decided the 3.73 gears will be fine for my uses. I currently tow under 8000 lbs & don't plan to ever tow anything over 11K lbs so I don't see any issues with the lesser gears. The payload is the more important issue for me and at 3182 lbs I think that's plenty. So I put a deposit down on a '15 Crew 2500 Bighorn with 3.73's in the color I wanted with the options I needed. Hopefully it all works out next week at signing.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Ok I've had 2 trucks get sold out from under me after making verbal deals on them and the 3rd one I found sold in less than 12 hrs before I got hold of the dealer directly. So for the life of me I couldn't find a 4.10 truck in my price range with the other options I wanted within 200 miles. There were several loaded up Laramie's and a couple Blackouts with Nav, sunroof, etc that were $3-5K too much even before the $2500 in tax/tags.

Since this is a daily driver first and tow vehicle second I decided the 3.73 gears will be fine for my uses. I currently tow under 8000 lbs & don't plan to ever tow anything over 11K lbs so I don't see any issues with the lesser gears. The payload is the more important issue for me and at 3182 lbs I think that's plenty. So I put a deposit down on a '15 Crew 2500 Bighorn with 3.73's in the color I wanted with the options I needed. Hopefully it all works out next week at signing.

I tow up to the same range with my 3.73s and 35" tires and love the truck. You will be fine.

OP
OP
RoadDog66

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanx Ratket & good to know River. I'm sure if we ever get an 11K 5th wheel I'll be close to the GCVWR, but that would be a few years from now and by them might want a diesel anyways :)

This one is Max Steel which in my area was again hard to find. Love this color and the factory 20's and wheel to wheel side steps look really good on it. Just the right amount of chrome IMHO.

Anyone know what the Comfort Pkg entails in a Bighorn? Thought it meant auto climate controls ? I won't see this truck in person until Monday, but this truck's spec sheet lists that pkg, but in photos it doesnt look to have the same dials as the others because its the 5" Uconnect not the 8.4. It also has the Luxury Pkg which I've seen with and without the Comfort pkg listed on other build sheets. Not a big issue just wondering.

sargenthp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
You want to purchase a nice almost new 2014 2500 Outdoorsmen with the 6.4L and 3.73 gears... Sell you mine.

I am trying to decide to regear, or cut my ties and lick my wounds and get a diesel. Towing 12k it is not happy... Especially on the interstate. If you are towing under 10k... I think you will be fine.

OP
OP
RoadDog66

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sargenthp, i read so many conflicting posts its mind boggling. I've read where some have your experiences and others who tow 13K in the hills and love their truck. Its tricky to decide what will work, but i don't see us ever going over 10K so I hope this is sufficient for us. Right now i tow my 7K trailer with my Nissan Titan Crew 4x4. It only has 317hp & 385 lbft torque but tows like a beast. However the wheelbase, GVW and payload is where I'm at a loss. I can't imagine this 2500 w/410hp & 429 lbft torque would even feel my trailer behind it.

I appreciate your input. In your case I would guess you might be better served spending a couple grand to re-gear rather than losing $4-5K trading up to more expensive I6 diesel payment.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanx Ratket & good to know River. I'm sure if we ever get an 11K 5th wheel I'll be close to the GCVWR, but that would be a few years from now and by them might want a diesel anyways :)

This one is Max Steel which in my area was again hard to find. Love this color and the factory 20's and wheel to wheel side steps look really good on it. Just the right amount of chrome IMHO.

Anyone know what the Comfort Pkg entails in a Bighorn? Thought it meant auto climate controls ? I won't see this truck in person until Monday, but this truck's spec sheet lists that pkg, but in photos it doesnt look to have the same dials as the others because its the 5" Uconnect not the 8.4. It also has the Luxury Pkg which I've seen with and without the Comfort pkg listed on other build sheets. Not a big issue just wondering.

Nice choice, I have a Max Steel 2500 w 20's and the side wtw side steps. Get a lot of compliments on the color and it does work well with the chrome bumpers, steps, etc. Good luck!

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally I think towing anything under 10k is fine even in the mountains with the 6.4. But if I were to grab a 5th wheel over 10k I would get the diesel. Shoot my truck does pretty good in the mountains with mine at 7500 lbs and the 4.56's

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just remember here in Cali the speed limit is 55 towing.. and they can be sticklers

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Personally I think towing anything under 10k is fine even in the mountains with the 6.4. But if I were to grab a 5th wheel over 10k I would get the diesel. Shoot my truck does pretty good in the mountains with mine at 7500 lbs and the 4.56's

This. I'm at about 7800 lbs trailer, 500-1K in the bed, and 600-700 in the cab. I have zero issues getting up or down passes at speed. The thing I don't like is the 7-9 mpg doing it. On a windless perfectly flat tow I can squeeze out 11 mpg, but that is about as rare as a purple unicorn in Utah. The thing is, I have done the same runs in a Cummins and my trailer(big parachute). It is usually 1.5-2mpg better. If that were 3-4, I would swap out today.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Sargenthp, i read so many conflicting posts its mind boggling. I've read where some have your experiences and others who tow 13K in the hills and love their truck. Its tricky to decide what will work, but i don't see us ever going over 10K so I hope this is sufficient for us. Right now i tow my 7K trailer with my Nissan Titan Crew 4x4. It only has 317hp & 385 lbft torque but tows like a beast. However the wheelbase, GVW and payload is where I'm at a loss. I can't imagine this 2500 w/410hp & 429 lbft torque would even feel my trailer behind it.

I appreciate your input. In your case I would guess you might be better served spending a couple grand to re-gear rather than losing $4-5K trading up to more expensive I6 diesel payment.
I came from a '10 CC Big Tow 4x4 Titan. A 2500 ram is around 2K lbs heavier than the Titan. It will not feel as spry, but the truck is in command of the weight both up and down hill. I hated towing my trailer with the Titan. Everything bigger that a Civic blew me all over the road, and wind over 7mph was a white knuckle event. Now I can set the cruise control, and just drive.

OP
OP
RoadDog66

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I came from a '10 CC Big Tow 4x4 Titan. A 2500 ram is around 2K lbs heavier than the Titan. It will not feel as spry, but the truck is in command of the weight both up and down hill. I hated towing my trailer with the Titan. Everything bigger that a Civic blew me all over the road, and wind over 7mph was a white knuckle event. Now I can set the cruise control, and just drive.

Yeah I know precisely what you mean. Love the Titan, but hope to love the Hemi more. I'm getting my financing figured out now and will be in much better shape for the next trip :)