New (to me) 6.7L Cummins owner - need help [emoji847]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 RAM 2500 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hey guys - new owner of a 2013 Ram 2500 6.7L and have a couple questions:

1) will the Billet Tech Oil Catch Can I had for my 2014 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi work for this rig? I wouldn't think so but someone told me it would as I was in the process of selling it to another person.

2) what should I do to it? [emoji57]

I'm not wanting to fully delete it just yet; I still have about a year or 40k miles left on the warranty and due to it having previous owners, I want to milk that warranty as long as possible, just in case.

I'm new to diesel, so coach me up on what kind of attention these trucks need from me and some cool performance/appearance mods to consider.

ea817c313a44db516ac2e184237acea9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I don't believe so

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Haven't seen you post any inside pics of the new rig yet. What's going on in there? Are you more for creature comforts or outside appearance?

Kinda neither but the first things I would buy regardless would be a Fumoto valve and oil cap for pulling the filter out if you do your own maint. Then a deezee tailgate kit.

Page 51 and 95 on here and many others discuss deleting the CCV filter and putting a catch can in place. Yours may or may not work. Those guys built their own.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/4...discussion/484230-ccv-delete-how-pics-95.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
matt.davidson09

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Haven't seen you post any inside pics of the new rig yet. What's going on in there? Are you more for creature comforts or outside appearance?

Kinda neither but the first things I would buy regardless would be a Fumoto valve and oil cap for pulling the filter out if you do your own maint. Then a deezee tailgate kit.

Page 51 and 95 on here and many others discuss deleting the CCV filter and putting a catch can in place. Yours may or may not work. Those guys built their own.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/4...discussion/484230-ccv-delete-how-pics-95.html

Awesome, thanks man! I'll take some time and read through that.

3ea0d8e2bf597eb984aae5d2b8426007.jpg39ad75a117aa568a18305cf06ff6ec35.jpg

Here are some interior pictures. And honestly I'm looking for both. I already know I need to do the cabin air filter mod (did it on my last truck, made a huge difference) and am going to get the bed sprayed this weekend. Just curious as to mods other people enjoy, cummins-specific or not.

Long term plans are a lift and tires and full delete, just trying to learn the truck first before even considering any of that.

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Really nice! I had to add the premium cluster, 8.4 nav unit and leather myself. Doing the spray in liner soon too. Whatever you do, can't wait to see.

OP
OP
matt.davidson09

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Really nice! I had to add the premium cluster, 8.4 nav unit and leather myself. Doing the spray in liner soon too. Whatever you do, can't wait to see.

Man those are some pricey mods [emoji15]

And thanks man, likewise! Silly Past Me told myself at the dealership that I wouldn't mod this truck, Present Me doesn't recall the conversation.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
2) what should I do to it? [emoji57]

Tune it to unleash the beast! Once your warranty is over of course....

If you want to keep emissions intake then I would go with Calibrated Power Solutions or Double R Diesel.

If you want to delete then there are plenty to choose from like Hardway Performance, PPEI, and Anarchy Diesel to name a few. Double R will also be able to help you if you want to delete, but Calibrated only sells emissions intact tunes now.

I would recommend EFI Live as a platform with a CSP4 switch, but that is my biased opinion. You can go from a 30+hp tow tune to a 200+hp race tune on the fly with the turn of a switch. Just keep in mind that the higher you increase hp, the higher your risk of breaking stuff if you don't have supporting mods. For the most part, you can run up to 450 rwhp unloaded or about 400 rwhp towing with a trans tune without it having a major impact on the life of your trans. Any more then that and I would consider a built trans in the near future.

Last edited:

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Change the oil every 6 months, the fuel filters every 15K miles and quality diesel all the time. That's all you gotta do to the Cummins. It'll last a long time, make a ton of power, be reasonably clean and super reliable.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tune it now.......only issue you'll ever have from the CTD is emission related, other than that its stone cold reliable. Now the trans is a different story but I had a 100hp tune on my deleted '10 and the tranny held up just fine.

I did not baby the truck either, just say'n

OP: past self said I didn't really need the truck and I traded it. Present self misses truck and tries to remember how past self was convinced trading it was a good idea.

Them MC's are nice, enjoy!

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No need for a catch can on a diesel.

Get a good tune from a well known vendor, do not trust the vendor, trust the owners of the tunes. If it were me Id tune out the DEF system first. Dont over do the tune that will overpower the transmission and torque converters. Its not always about power, but heat will destroy it on a high HP and long haul.

Cummins are old dumb motors, keep them cool, keep the oil fresh and they are stupid to leave you stranded.