New to Ram Family.....and 6.4L Family

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Brief introduction......just moved to a 2014 2500 Laramie Longhorn Crew with the 6.4L Hemi. Traded in (with mixed emotion) my beloved and lovingly modified F-250 with the 7.3L diesel. I loved working on that rig, I hated HAVING to work on the aging truck and some of the rust threats were starting to become a bother for me.

I use the trucks to primarily tow a two horse bumper pull with dressing room which at its heaviest is 6000-7000lbs plus some payload of tightly wound dressage queens (ie. my wife and a second owner/rider) and gear.

I traded my truck in Saturday and had to tow 2 horses and 4 people Sunday. It performed very well in a 40 mile round trip easy ride....80% back roads, lots of starts and stops at 30-40mph roads.....averaged 10mpg on that trip. It was so quiet and comfy (Long Horn is pretty sweet).

Of course my check engine light is on......thinking it is a sending unit or sensor issue of some sort seeing as how this rig has more electronics than a spaceship.

I am the second owner and the truck has 17,800 miles on it and was loved. Original owner installed Nitto Trail Grapplers and a nicely installed PIAA lightbar and lights and then traded it for a Range Rover.....his loss my gain I guess.

I'm looking forward to hopefully many years of service.

One of the things that I will miss is the fact I was very active on the Ford forums for the past 6-7 years with my diesel, so I hope you don't mind me hanging around and asking dumb questions.

Thanks

Steve

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have 53k trouble free miles on my 6.4 and roughly 35-38k towing with it. It's been a rock!

OP
OP
River19

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have 53k trouble free miles on my 6.4 and roughly 35-38k towing with it. It's been a rock!

Good to hear.

It is humorous how a 2001 Lariat interior compared to a 2014 Longhorn, it is amazing how far trucks have come in a decade and change.

My wife is heading to the dealer tomorrow for the first time to have the CEL looked at, but the truck is driving as expected and mpg is in line with expectations so I think the CEL is sensor(ish) related, I hope.

The thing that I have to get used to is the transmission, I'm so used to being able to kick it out of OD to decelerate and Tow/Haul did a decent job but for a while I might be using the manual +/- .

Fairly certain I have 3.73s in this truck, that was the one thing I couldn't easily confirm when I bought it. Anyone know how to visually tell? codes, markings etc.?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Last edited:
OP
OP
River19

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Welcome to the Forum!

Select "Equipment Listing" on the left and type in your VIN in the small box that says "VIN". Do not type it into the bigger search box as it will do nothing.

Ram Trucks - Contact Us

Also, any other info you want to know about your truck can be found here. -----> http://www.rambodybuilder.com/year.pdf

Thanks that was perfect. 3.73s it is.

BTW, WTF is the "5.2 Additional Gallons of Gas" listed on the equipment for my truck?

Love this thing......

We'll see how the Nittos hold up and how they are in the winter.....I had a set of Terra Grapplers that I hated with a passion on my F250.....absolutely sucked in snow, swapped to Duratracs and loved them. Heck the Terra Grapplers are still stacked next to my shed.....gotta give those away to my buddy....still mounted on Eagle Rims

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

BTW, WTF is the "5.2 Additional Gallons of Gas" listed on the equipment for my truck?

Love this thing......

We'll see how the Nittos hold up and how they are in the winter.....I had a set of Terra Grapplers that I hated with a passion on my F250.....absolutely sucked in snow, swapped to Duratracs and loved them. Heck the Terra Grapplers are still stacked next to my shed.....gotta give those away to my buddy....still mounted on Eagle Rims

I believe that's how much gas the put in the truck (new) when it's delivered. Asked my salesperson why they didn't fill the tank when I picked it up and he told me 5 gallons was standard fare on every new truck.

Congrats on the new truck!

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine

Love this thing......

The 5.2 gallons of gas is what is pit into it at the factory to allow it to be driven around parking lots and on and off trains and trucks until it gets to the dealership.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I sold my 01 f250 for my ram. As you say loved the diesel, but it was nickel and diming me to death. Loving my first ram.

OP
OP
River19

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I sold my 01 f250 for my ram. As you say loved the diesel, but it was nickel and diming me to death. Loving my first ram.

In a perfect world I would have both my old Ford and the new Ram....but there was no way I could have scored this Longhorn without trading my truck in, the payment is large enough as it is.

Plus my hunting rig is a 2001 Tundra with 206K miles, which is my wife's daily driver and having 4 vehicles for 2 people with 3 being trucks is a tad bit overkill even for me.

The thing that she loved (besides the luxurious interior) is how quiet it is. Towing with my 7.3 was awesome from my perspective but with a 5" exhaust, large intake etc.we had to yell to each other in the cab. When I towed with the 6.4L this past weekend, it was laughable at how quiet it was, even when it down shifted.

Tow/Haul......can someone clarify what exactly this tweaks.....I believe it locks out 6th, holds gear longer and down shifts on deceleration and that is the extent of it, right?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the truck, Steve.

I love my 2500 with the 6.4L. It's the perfect package for me.

Best of luck with the truck and let us know what they find on the CEL issue.

OP
OP
River19

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Wife had to be the one to go to the dealership...I had meetings all day. She is there now and said they reset the light and said it was spark plug related from what they said, and they asked if there are any modifications. From what I know it is only tires and lights and not tuned. After coming from a tuned and modded diesel I think this truck feels exactly as a 400/400 gasser should feel and from what I can tell even the hottest tune on the 6.4L is relatively benign from an improvement standpoint and based on what I know I don't see the previous owner touching the engine.

I asked her to see if they will tell her the code that it threw.....always good to know.

I anticipate that light tripping again shortly.....since nothing was changed

Update: It was for multiple misfires that is what the DTC code said. They flashed the PCM back to original factory settings with updates and performed a couple small recalls. Drained a small amount of oil as it was slightly overfilled by a fraction of a quart.....

I wonder if they had a tune flashed which required premium fuel etc. which for 15hp I'm wondering why someone would bother (again coming from the diesel world where tuning is much more impactful).

Hopefully we are good to go.