New tires don't want 70 psi or the warning light - Spare Option?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thethrillofspeed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500
Engine
I live in Reno and can't find anyone to adjust the settings on the TPMS. I'm getting new 35's next week and I'm not inflating them to 70+ psi and I don't want the warning light blinking all the time. I'm perfectly capable of monitoring my tire pressure, so I'm thinking of removing all the sensors and putting them in the spare and pumping it up to 80 psi. I was going to tape them just in case I have to use the spare, but honestly not to worried about that. Anyone done this?

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The sensors require rotation to send a signal, and even then, the distance from the main sensor is what determines where the tire is located on your vehicle. You can either find someone that has the machine to change your tire pressure threshold (there is a post here about it, its an aftermarket machine that works still) or simply place a piece of tape over the light and ignore it.

Stupid decision by Ram to take away our ability to change those limits ourselves. I guess that is the result of a litigious society...

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Look at the long thread on CF, there are a couple of guys that rent the computer to make the changes yourself. I rented one at the beginning of the year and set my threshold to 30psi. You can also buy a ProCal and adjust down to 35 but will still need a dealer to reset the computer (it's in the instructions).

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Look at the long thread on CF, there are a couple of guys that rent the computer to make the changes yourself. I rented one at the beginning of the year and set my threshold to 30psi. You can also buy a ProCal and adjust down to 35 but will still need a dealer to reset the computer (it's in the instructions).

Wow! you were able to change your thresholds? I didn't think anything 16' + could be reprogramed. I asked the dealer when I bought mine to change it & they tried but stated that FCA is no longer allowing even them to change it.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Link or more details please.:)

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks, who did you rent from over there and how much did they charge?

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Can be done, I had them adjusted before the WiTech upgrade, so I had my buddy who is a Dodge tech bring the computer home and do it for me.

Like that thread at CF shows, people can do it now and may charge $25-50.

Sure glad I got mine done. I couldn't stand the light on. New tires you do not want to run at that PSI. Most 35s say 65 max cold.

You have a 20% threshold, but it's not fun.

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
If anyone in Chicagoland or central IL (as far down as STL) can do this, I very much would like to engage your services!

es

BPMPVET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I've got one of the devices that will do it but the manufacturer locked the feature on the last update. It should be getting restored on the next update though, hopefully within a week or two. I'm in Phoenix. I'm also willing to ship my device with instructions. Shoot me a PM. Anyone local I'll take care of for $75 in my driveway. I've done my own '16 numerous times, but again, I'm locked out at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

thethrillofspeed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500
Engine
Ok, I will install the TPMS sensors in my new wheels and not the spare. BPMPVET, I will send you a PM about renting your device once they get the feature unlocked.

One more question, I have the steel rims, will those sensors transfer over to my new aluminum **** Cepek rims? I don't want to take the tire shops word because the last tire shop I went to wanted $90 each for those sensors in my 2002 Jeep. Jeep is perfectly happy without them btw.

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I've got one of the devices that will do it but the manufacturer locked the feature on the last update. It should be getting restored on the next update though, hopefully within a week or two. I'm in Phoenix. I'm also willing to ship my device with instructions. Shoot me a PM. Anyone local I'll take care of for $75 in my driveway.

Just a shout-out for BPMPVET - he shipped his (now unlocked) device to me last week along with clear instructions, and 15 minutes later, I had 55 psi and no warning lights. Finally! He wrote up a clear, fair contract and we used PP to handle the transaction. Well worth it, in my book.

es