oh...decisions, decisions....looking @ a 2500 w/cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
Made the decision to upgrade to a 2500, it'll be a much better option to tow our new camper with, which is much heavier than our previous one. after taking it to service today, and white knuckling from the feeling of, I don't know even how to describe it, maybe side sliding? blue ox with airbags and the 4.10 gears pulls it fine, and not sagging, it's the feeling of possibly losing it, that I came to that conclusion.

been eyeballing Laramies, 6.4 hemi, 4x2.
but my dealer has a 2014 Laramie, 21k miles, 4x4, 6.7 CTD, with 3.42 gear ratio w/lsd, crew cab, with rear headrest monitors, and a remote control hard roll top tonneau..(lots of other options, remote start/proximity etc... it was a 60k sticker priced truck when new) ..dealer is asking $47.9, (Nope!) but obviously trying to find some ballpark prices to give him an offer for it.

then debating on either trading the 2012 charger r/t max, or my 2013 1500 Laramie...

oh the decisions...

thinking out loud

Last edited:

perk7089

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Trade that ½ ton for the Cummins & I guerentee u will be much happier!! Especially towing the camper!! Towing anything behind my Cummins u can't even tell it's back there!! It's amazing the power they have!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Klaus96

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Laramie 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Traded my 14 1/2 ton for a 14 Cummins back in August. Totally different animal. If towing is what you need to do, then the Cummins is what you want if pricing is similar. I have no experience with the 6.4 though. The only pleasure I get from work anymore is driving the Cummins there and then driving it home...lol

Higher maintenance costs? Yep. So what, it's a bad ************. I smile every time I'm dumping in a can of Stanadyne at the fuel pump.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What size of camper?

Any HD series will give you more stability over 1500. Deciding between 6.4 and 6.7 will depend on camper size, performance expectations, and your wallet.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Pricejh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Made the decision to upgrade to a 2500, it'll be a much better option to tow our new camper with, which is much heavier than our previous one. after taking it to service today, and white knuckling from the feeling of, I don't know even how to describe it, maybe side sliding? blue ox with airbags and the 4.10 gears pulls it fine, and not sagging, it's the feeling of possibly losing it, that I came to that conclusion.

been eyeballing Laramies, 6.4 hemi, 4x2.
but my dealer has a 2014 Laramie, 21k miles, 4x4, 6.7 CTD, with 3.42 gear ratio w/lsd, crew cab, with rear headrest monitors, and a remote control hard roll top tonneau..(lots of other options, remote start/proximity etc... it was a 60k sticker priced truck when new) ..dealer is asking $47.9, (Nope!) but obviously trying to find some ballpark prices to give him an offer for it.

then debating on either trading the 2012 charger r/t max, or my 2013 1500 Laramie...

oh the decisions...

thinking out loud

I traded my '12 Laramie 5.7 for a very lightly used '15 Tradesman w/6.7 4x4. Like you we had stepped up trailer sizes, 25 ft up to a 29 ft w/2 slides. Wow! The difference is amazing. Go for the bigger Cummings. You will enjoy the tow much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I traded my '12 Laramie 5.7 for a very lightly used '15 Tradesman w/6.7 4x4. Like you we had stepped up trailer sizes, 25 ft up to a 29 ft w/2 slides. Wow! The difference is amazing. Go for the bigger Cummings. You will enjoy the tow much more.

Why do you keep calling it "Cummings" after we have told you over and over again that it is "Cummins", not "Cummings"?

Last edited:

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
You can get a new Cummins for 10-12k off sticker if you look in the right places...no reason to entertain a dealership that only has 13k off sticker price for a nearly 3 year old truck. Find something you like that stickers around 55k, get it in the lower 40's. They're out there, just gotta look. I got my base model 6.4 for 11k off sticker, just had to drive 3hrs to Austin to pick it up.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
You have my express permission to expire and consume excrement.

Wow, you have time to use such words and insults, but not to delete just one "g"? In less time than it took you to type that, you could have added "Cummins" to your phone's dictionary.

Here, just in case you don't know how. How to Add a Word to iPhone Dictionary

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
yep use this

New 2016 Ram 2500 Laramie For Sale in Caldwell Near Boise, Nampa, ID | Vin:3C6UR5FL8GG107235

go to a local dealer, get them to price match it. Done. The 47k price, anyone can pay so theres no drama there. Even if you paid 48 or 49, smarter purchase. The best part is, they are super friendly on the phone. You could call or email them and then would be happy to send you an actual invoice/order so you can take it into your local dealer. (although I wouldn't advertise that aspect of it, just say youd like to see the purchase order for your bank or something)

OP
OP
thrashie

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
You can get a new Cummins for 10-12k off sticker if you look in the right places...no reason to entertain a dealership that only has 13k off sticker price for a nearly 3 year old truck. Find something you like that stickers around 55k, get it in the lower 40's. They're out there, just gotta look. I got my base model 6.4 for 11k off sticker, just had to drive 3hrs to Austin to pick it up.

yeah, I hear ya on that 13k off on a 3 year old truck, doesn't sit too well with me either, I shot them an offer of 40.5 out the door.today, to give them a good laugh before they say nah.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Use the Dennis Dillon website (Idaho dealer) to gauge prices. Ignore the "as low as price" as it requires membership in a bunch of things you don't belong to. But the "sale" price is a good bottom line price. If I remember right 2016 Laramie level Cummins 4x4 can be had for low to mid 50s. Use that to negotiate with local dealers..... or drive to Idaho.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Me thinks you are too lazy to correct your spelling.

Me thinks?? Me thinks you a troll...

Cummings are fine until you have issues with the emmisions, then you need several thousand to delete and run dirty. Once the filter is clogged it needs to be removed and cleaned. I'm going through this now, reduced power and won't get out of its way. Regen says 100 full and drops to 70 but never clears the fault.

Unless it's used to make money, stay with gas.