oh...decisions, decisions....looking @ a 2500 w/cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Me thinks?? Me thinks you a troll...

That is quite funny coming from you. Thanks for giving me a good laugh!

Cummings are fine until you have issues with the emmisions,

This is kind of a dumb statement. Just about every engine is fine until you have issues.

then you need several thousand to delete and run dirty.

FALSE! ...And far from it. Heck, you don't even need half of that to delete.

The EFI Live or Raceme will cost about $900 from a good custom tuner. If you go with EFI live then you would have to buy the Bully Dog and unlock cable to unlock the ECM which runs about $525. Then the exhaust will run you about $400-$600 depending on what you get. You don't have to delete the EGR since it is deactivated, but if you want to then those kits run about $150-$200.

All in all you are looking about $2,000 give or take a few hundred depending on which way you go. No where near $7,000.

Once the filter is clogged it needs to be removed and cleaned.

Yeah, and that costs about $350 to get it cleaned at our dealership. Cummins recommends you get it done at 150-200k miles depending on your driving and idling.

I'm going through this now, reduced power and won't get out of its way. Regen says 100 full and drops to 70 but never clears the fault.

Well then don't be a ******* and clean it out when it needs to be done. I would suggest learning your vehicles maintenance schedule .... It will go along ways.

Unless it's used to make money, stay with gas.

I got plenty of that, you need me to start up a "Go fund me" account? I would suggest not buying things that you can't afford to maintain in the future. Maybe a 2wd Toyota Tacoma or Honda Ridgeline might suit you better?

Last edited:

inthe510

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Made the decision to upgrade to a 2500, it'll be a much better option to tow our new camper with, which is much heavier than our previous one. after taking it to service today, and white knuckling from the feeling of, I don't know even how to describe it, maybe side sliding? blue ox with airbags and the 4.10 gears pulls it fine, and not sagging, it's the feeling of possibly losing it, that I came to that conclusion.

been eyeballing Laramies, 6.4 hemi, 4x2.
but my dealer has a 2014 Laramie, 21k miles, 4x4, 6.7 CTD, with 3.42 gear ratio w/lsd, crew cab, with rear headrest monitors, and a remote control hard roll top tonneau..(lots of other options, remote start/proximity etc... it was a 60k sticker priced truck when new) ..dealer is asking $47.9, (Nope!) but obviously trying to find some ballpark prices to give him an offer for it.

then debating on either trading the 2012 charger r/t max, or my 2013 1500 Laramie...

oh the decisions...

thinking out loud

I can't give you my estimate on what a good offer on a 2014 would be. I can just tell you what I just paid for a new 2016 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD. There are significant rebates going on right now like around $12k-$13k under sticker. The sticker price on mine was over $64k and I got it for just under $52k (not out the door price). I could probably have gotten an SLT 4x4 CTD for about $48k-$49k if that helps in your negotiations when the dealer is asking just under $48k for a 2014.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I can't give you my estimate on what a good offer on a 2014 would be. I can just tell you what I just paid for a new 2016 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD. There are significant rebates going on right now like around $12k-$13k under sticker. The sticker price on mine was over $64k and I got it for just under $52k (not out the door price). I could probably have gotten an SLT 4x4 CTD for about $48k-$49k if that helps in your negotiations when the dealer is asking just under $48k for a 2014.

Yeah, this is right depending on your location. My out the door was $15k less than the almost $65k MSRP. That out the door price for the SLT's is exactly what my friend paid for his 2015.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
That is quite funny coming from you. Thanks for giving me a good laugh!

This is kind of a dumb statement. Just about every engine is fine until you have issues.

FALSE! ...And far from it. Heck, you don't even need half of that to delete.

The EFI Live or Raceme will cost about $900 from a good custom tuner. If you go with EFI live then you would have to buy the Bully Dog and unlock cable to unlock the ECM which runs about $525. Then the exhaust will run you about $400-$600 depending on what you get. You don't have to delete the EGR since it is deactivated, but if you want to then those kits run about $150-$200.

All in all you are looking about $2,000 give or take a few hundred depending on which way you go. No where near $7,000.

Yeah, and that costs about $350 to get it cleaned at our dealership. Cummins recommends you get it done at 150-200k miles depending on your driving and idling.

Well then don't be a ******* and clean it out when it needs to be done. I would suggest learning your vehicles maintenance schedule .... It will go along ways.

I got plenty of that, you need me to start up a "Go fund me" account? I would suggest not buying things that you can't afford to maintain in the future. Maybe a 2wd Toyota Tacoma or Honda Ridgeline might suit you better?

Definition of several- more than two but not many. Where did you get 7k??? Never mind, Cummings......

Just over $2k in parts to fix the emmision issue on a vehicle under 100k, figure in labor and your well over $2k on a vehicle under 100k. To do it right I'm at $2500 in parts using EF Live. Dont forget the EGR delete. $350 for cleaning, that would be a dream come true. $350 won't cover a oil change and fuel filters.

Don't forget even Ram spells it Cummings in the brochure, :roflsquared:

OP check out the duramax.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thrashie

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
Last edited:
OP
OP
thrashie

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
heh, they dropped their price on the website today to 46.5 now...

they know i'm interested in it, and it's sat on the lot almost 2 months, so lets see how long it is till they call me up looking to finally get rid of it.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Yeah, this is right depending on your location. My out the door was $15k less than the almost $65k MSRP. That out the door price for the SLT's is exactly what my friend paid for his 2015.

Got any good/big pics of your truck?

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
oil changes for these things are that much?!

I tried, but my legs kept on moving and my eyes kept diverting elsewhere (i'm a ram guy to the core!)

$160 for both fuel filters through dealer. You can find them for about $100 on line but a PIA.

Here are the individual charges....

Oil and Filter
Labor $35
Filter and syn oil $95

Both Fuel Filters every 15k
Labor $154
Filter $56.95
Filter $76.50

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Just over $2k in parts to fix the emmision issue on a vehicle under 100k,

You are not fixing anything. You are removing what is on every modern pick up truck diesel (even a Duraslow) in order to meet EPA NOx and PM requirements

figure in labor and your well over $2k on a vehicle under 100k.

Labor? Unless someone is a complete moron to not be able to remove and replace exhaust, unplug a few sensors, and follow directions on a programmer, you can do it in a few hours with basic tools. But hey, if you are not mentally or physically capable and have the extra coin, then pay a shop to do it.

To do it right I'm at $2500 in parts using EF Live. Dont forget the EGR delete.

FALSE! A friend of mine just did it. He got all his stuff from DPP and it cost less than $2500.

1-EFIbyRyan Autocal
1-CSP4 Switch
1-Bully Dog GT
1-ECM Unlock Cable
1-Flo-Pro turbo back exhaust kit
Total: $1,730.00 with free shipping

If he wanted the EGR delete kit then it would have been $180. However, you don't need to delete the EGR.

$350 for cleaning, that would be a dream come true.

Well sucks to be you.

$350 won't cover a oil change and fuel filters.

You were talking about the DPF. Why are you bringing up oil and fuel filters?

Don't forget even Ram spells it Cummings in the brochure,

Nope, it wasn't a brochure. It was a tow chart that I have found many numerical errors on previous Ram Bodybuilder charts. But hey, if you want to be a ******* and keep calling it "Cummings" even when you know it is Cummins, then go nuts. You would just keep proving what people here already know and have been saying about you for a wile now.

OP check out the duramax.

Yeah, so he can spend $10k at less then 100k miles to replace his whole fuel system because GM decided to go with a CP4 with the Duraslow? And you said a DPF cleaning was expensive?!?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
oil changes for these things are that much?!

No, $350 is for a DPF cleaning at 150-200k miles. How he put oil and fuel filters in their I have no clue

He stated "Once the filter is clogged it needs to be removed and cleaned.", so I told him that my dealership charges $350 to remove and clean the DPF.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
FALSE! A friend of mine just did it. He got all his stuff from DPP and it cost less than $2500.

1-EFIbyRyan Autocal
1-CSP4 Switch
1-Bully Dog GT
1-ECM Unlock Cable

If he wanted the EGR delete kit then it would have been $180. However, you don't need to delete the EGR.

This guy I work with had a daughter and her boyfriend had a neighbor that knew a guy that heard his third cousin removed had a son that worked at a dealer and a guy came in saying he was paid a whole 5 dollars by Cummings yes Cummings to do a complete delete for him at the order of Obama directed by the Pope who seen a sign in a cracker from the almighty.

That's how a friend of mine story holds up... CUMMINGS

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

1-EFIbyRyan Autocal
1-CSP4 Switch
1-Bully Dog GT
1-ECM Unlock Cable

This guy I work with had a daughter and her boyfriend had a neighbor that knew a guy that heard his third cousin removed had a son that worked at a dealer and a guy came in saying he was paid a whole 5 dollars by Cummings yes Cummings to do a complete delete for him at the order of Obama directed by the Pope who seen a sign in a cracker from the almighty.

That's how a friend of mine story holds up... CUMMINGS

Nope!

Stage 2 Performance and Economy Booster Package | 13-16 6.7L Dodge Cummins

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
$160 for both fuel filters through dealer. You can find them for about $100 on line but a PIA.

Here are the individual charges....

Oil and Filter
Labor $35
Filter and syn oil $95

Both Fuel Filters every 15k
Labor $154
Filter $56.95
Filter $76.50

No wonder you don't have money for maintenance. You are getting ***** by your dealer.

Oil change at my dealer is $65 for regular oil and $85 for syn labor and all. Why on earth would you have the dealer change your fuel filters. It is the easiest thing to maintain on the truck and it literally takes just 20 minutes to change both and that includes a beer break. You can get both filters online for $85.

Since you like to senselessly spend money so much, I got some ocean front property in Arizona for sale if you want to buy it.

Last edited:

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Danno, we get it. You hate Ram. Go hang out on the Ford forum since you like them so well.

To the OP,
Yes. Maintenance on a cummins is about double a gas rig. Change intervals are 2x as long but take 2x the oil. Add in fuel filters every 15k. As stated, $100 online $150-180 at your parts store.

They require draining those filters as they have water separator built in.

Also be aware of poor quality DEF.

DPF cleaning 350 per ST, I've read as high as 700... and that's if they can be cleaed. Sometimes they can't.

If you live in cold weather climate a diesel can add in more issues.

DPF and EGR delete with tune and exhaust can cost a pretty penny, even more if you can't do it yourself at $90+ per hour labor.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I mean, it's funny when southtexan gets all riled up but damn dood, you dum........:roflsquared:

Riled up? Haven't you learned by now that I enjoy this kind of stuff. It's laughable more than anything.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Double post...

Last edited: