Oil Change Frequency? 6.4L 2014 PWagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rogueknightatx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Evening to you all!
I was curious, I am about 14K miles in, and my truck reads out that I am at 45% oil life after 5K miles since my last change... I have been changing every 5K and am using the Penzoil Ultra Platinum every time.

Is the truck nuts in thinking it can go essentially another 5K or have things changed? My last girl was a 04 Titan.

Second, my service rep at the dealer also advises that I grease the front drive shaft every oil change, which I have been having done.

Advice and experience welcome.
Thanks

Hemifatboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I would change it and grease it , but it takes me about 6 months to put on 5k and that's long enough for oil for me, I've always changed oil early on my trucks and never regretted it, it's cheap insurance

guzzel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Evening to you all!
I was curious, I am about 14K miles in, and my truck reads out that I am at 45% oil life after 5K miles since my last change... I have been changing every 5K and am using the Penzoil Ultra Platinum every time.

Is the truck nuts in thinking it can go essentially another 5K or have things changed? My last girl was a 04 Titan.

Second, my service rep at the dealer also advises that I grease the front drive shaft every oil change, which I have been having done.

Advice and experience welcome.
Thanks

My first oil change was right around 7500 miles, and even then I think the system said I was at 19%. Something to ask the maint guys about at the dealer next time.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
It's not the 1970's anymore. Oil has come along way and using the proper spec'd oil called out by FCA, will easily go the 8K-10K with no issue.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I just do mine at 5K which is easy to remember and is well within my comfort level.

OP
OP
R

rogueknightatx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I just do mine at 5K which is easy to remember and is well within my comfort level.

Thanks to all that commented.
I'll keep on the 5K interval as well cause that is comfortable. I also rotate her shoes at the same time.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
If you want an indication of the best oil change interval for you truck then I would recommend you get an oil analysis. It will take the assumptions out of when your oil needs to be changed and give you a more definitive answer. The analysis will tell you what minerals and wear metals are in you oil along with its viscosity and fuel dilution. I would recommend Blackstone Labs since they collect a large database of oil samples from engines like yours to compare yours to which can give you an indication of the amount of wear metals is normal for your engine. Don't be shocked if they come back and tell you that you can easily go 10k miles with the kind of oil and filtration available for the these new engines. Google "Blackstone Labs" and have them send you a oil sample container. If you have trouble reading the analysis they send you then post it up in this thread and I will help you decipher what is means.

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I go 1 year or 8k miles witch ever comes first. I also run the royal purple oil filter and the penzoil ultra.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Change it when the monitor tells you to. It's pretty good on these trucks. I've had changes as low as 4700 miles, and this one looks like it will be 8500. You're wasting money changing synthetic oil before its service life is up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azeemtn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've done two changes now, both time about 7K between. Once the monitor still read 10%, 2nd time 5%.

Steel Curtain

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Are there Greese fittings up front or is that a dealership thing that has to be done? I'm only at 3900 miles on my truck and it reads half life left. Like the average I've always changed mine at 5k intervals on all my vehicles. My wife's VW goes longer but she takes it to the dealer for free changes so I figure if something happens they have all the records!!!

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Todays oil is bad ass. The trucking company I used to work for only changed oil in their semis about every 75-100,000mi. I think around every 6-8,000 they would take a sample, change out filters, then top it off.
I always do my first oil change early. About half of the "extreme driving" recommendation from the manufacturer. Wanna get all that floating metal out of there from break in. Third oil change I switch to synthetic.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well with this 6.4 you are on synthetic from the start- good to go

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I wouldn't think that would let it break in properly, but hey they outta know what's best.:)

Not breaking in properly on synthetic is mostly a myth.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not breaking in properly on synthetic is mostly a myth.
Actually it isn't. The 3.6 motors Cadillac put in pretty much every one of their vehicles would take tens of thousands of miles to seat the rings on synthetic oil. Whenever they got rebuilt conventional oil was put in for the first oil change to help break the motor in.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Actually it isn't. The 3.6 motors Cadillac put in pretty much every one of their vehicles would take tens of thousands of miles to seat the rings on synthetic oil. Whenever they got rebuilt conventional oil was put in for the first oil change to help break the motor in.

I guess you overlooked my word "mostly". Sure there can be some one off exceptions but the point of this discussion is that if the vehicle manufacturer either factory fills or recommends synthetics without a caveat statement to use conventional for break in, then synthetics are fine for breaking in a modern built engine vehicle.

For some reason, Oil is the great bugaboo of mystery and anecdotal statements of wives tales passed on for generations. Synthetics for the same reasons have those same wives tales attached and by and large not using it for break in is one of them.