oil change procedure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok. So, Im getting ready to do a change myself. Just hit over 3k. I know some of you say dont need to. And then there are the few who have done it at 1k. I was told that 3k is when engine is "broken in". Doesnt matter. Bought the case of pennzoil on amazon for cheap. Its piece of mind to me anyway and will make me feel better changing it. So, my question is: are there any special things that need to be done for the procedure. You never know with these newer vehicles. Engine doesnt have to be pulled , does it ? :) Or is it just remove drain bolt, drain , and reinstall , then fill. Of course same with the filter? I havent even crawled under to take a good look and see if everything is easy to access.
By the way, did pennzoil just change the label on their 0w40. It says platinum pure plus on the case i ordered (which is the newer one) like the first link. There is a different bottle at my local pep boys and they are saying its the same stuff , just an older label. Cant remember which one it is but its one of the other labels in the other links. What the hell, there are 3 other labels. You have to scroll down to see the pennzoil on the second link. Im assuming its all just marketing bull with the "hyper clean" and all that jargon. Thanks.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/674883/00166

http://www.pepboys.com/accessories/car_care/oils_filters/oils/

http://www.pepboys.com/pennzoil_motor_oil/

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just did mine myself... Pennzoil did just change the label so you're good there. It's been forever since I changed oil in a vehicle as I took my others to quick lube shops. Just be sure to pull the plug, wait for it to drain, then reinsert the plug and move your catch pan to the front near the filter. I swear pulling the filter drains another quart and a half of oil! Then fill her up and you should be good.

If you attempt to lube the front driveshaft fitting, it's a butt to find. The fitting is on the front driveshaft near the transfer case, and uses a syringe adapter for your grease gun. The fitting looks like a silver button with a hole in the middle. 2-3 pumps should do it. If you have trouble finding it blast the joint with brake cleaner and you should see it.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
CC' the oil I just used that I bought in May from the dealer compared to the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum I bought yesterday at Pepboys to restock were a different label but iirc, were still different than your links. Said the same things but minor differences. One think I looked for was that both the bottles, near the bottom, said something about made for the SRT engines.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok cool.thanks

CC' the oil I just used that I bought in May from the dealer compared to the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum I bought yesterday at Pepboys to restock were a different label but iirc, were still different than your links. Said the same things but minor differences. One think I looked for was that both the bottles, near the bottom, said something about made for the SRT engines.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks. Hoping to get a service manual for the truck soon. I'm assuming will Probably be a while though.

Just did mine myself... Pennzoil did just change the label so you're good there. It's been forever since I changed oil in a vehicle as I took my others to quick lube shops. Just be sure to pull the plug, wait for it to drain, then reinsert the plug and move your catch pan to the front near the filter. I swear pulling the filter drains another quart and a half of oil! Then fill her up and you should be good.

If you attempt to lube the front driveshaft fitting, it's a butt to find. The fitting is on the front driveshaft near the transfer case, and uses a syringe adapter for your grease gun. The fitting looks like a silver button with a hole in the middle. 2-3 pumps should do it. If you have trouble finding it blast the joint with brake cleaner and you should see it.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I would love one for mine too. I plan to keep this truck for quite a while.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would do the filter first, I wrap the plastic catch plate under the oil filter in tin foil so oil doesn't get every where, and just poke a hole where the drain part on the plastic plate is, and I fold a sheet over the steering linkage as well, keeps oil off of the truck and the tin foil molds and forms really easy and it cleans up easy. And it won't melt or absorbe any oil. Nice thing is these things are high enough stock they are easy to get under. And as stated above the drive shaft is a ***** to lube.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what grease did u guys use for ur front drive shaft?