Oil temps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What are you guys/gals seeing for oil temps during normal driving?

I regularly hover between 213 and 222.

Normal? Pulling a trailer in tow haul and it can climb when operating at elevated rpm.

Sent from a field

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm usually ~206, a little spirited driving will put me ~219

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sounds about right. I'm normally in the 206-216 range.

Edit: The cooler kicks in around 212 - 216 mark. In cooler weather (50-60 F) it rarely goes above 208 in normal driving.

Last edited:

dmills0130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm normally around 206. Highest I've seen was 221 pulling my little truck through the hills of TN and KY

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
Normal driving and not in the winter, around 100 degrees C.
Normal driving in the winter, around 90 degrees C.
Towing in the summer, I think it was between 105 and 110 degrees.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Dang, that 6.4L runs hot.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Is there a point here or is this just bait for another gas vs. diesel thing?

Wow, you are starting act like Drittal. Take off the tin foil hat because this was not some conspiracy comment to turn anything into a diesel versus gas thing. My comment was out of genuine surprise of how high the normal temps are. So am I not allowed to be surprised on how high the temps are with normal driving? Did I say that the 6.4L running that hot was a bad thing versus a diesel? Hell, it could be that the 6.4L is designed to run at that temp for all I know. I was just surprised on how high they were, and would have said the same thing if it were a diesel or any other engine running with those temps. Sheesh you two are paranoid and even take posts that are not bashing as some sort of attack. You and Drittal should grab a cold one an relax.

Last edited:

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Wow, you are starting act like Drittal. Take off the tin foil hat because this was not some conspiracy comment to turn anything into a diesel versus gas thing. My comment was out of genuine surprise of how high the normal temps are. So am I not allowed to be surprised on how high the temps are with normal driving? Did I say that the 6.4L running that hot was a bad thing versus a diesel? Hell, it could be that the 6.4L is designed to run at that temp for all I know. I was just surprised on how high they were, and would have said the same thing if it were a diesel or any other engine running with those temps. Sheesh you two are paranoid and even take posts that are not bashing as some sort of attack. You and Drittal should grab a cold one an relax.

Did you watch the 6.4 get spanked, no. Its was more of a old school beat down on the Ike Gauntlet? It should come with a graphic warning! I Will give the short verison.

Ram 6.4 towing capacity of 15k but towing 12500.
Chevy 6.0 towing capacity 13k towing at max limit.

The outdated less powerful chevy left the 6.4 even though the chevy was at max capacity and ram wasn't. The 6.4 isn't what it's all cracked up to be.

2014 Ram 2500 HD: 6.4L HEMI vs. 6.0L Chevy [Ike Gauntlet HD] - The Fast Lane Truck

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Something tells me this thread is going to go down in flames and I am going to get blamed for it somehow.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I actually agree with SouthTexan here, don't think it was a shot at the 6.4. Who the fk wants to see the Gauntlet video discussed yet again. It's been beaten to death and debated over and over again. Be happy they didn't test the 5.7 in the HD as well. That would have been a real beating.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
I actually agree with SouthTexan here, don't think it was a shot at the 6.4. Who the fk wants to see the Gauntlet video discussed yet again. It's been beaten to death and debated over and over again. Be happy they didn't test the 5.7 in the HD as well. That would have been a real beating.

They need to run the 5.7 vs the 6.4 up the Ike. Theres plenty reviews of the 5.7 in the HD hanging with the 6.0 that smoked the 6.4. Wouldnt be suprised if FCA paid them not to run a comparision due to the old 5.7 doing better. Maybe the 5.7 can meet its advertised capacity where the 6.4 can't.

Then there's the whole conversation of the 6.4 can't even pull the advertised weight. J2807 rated, if thats the case the chevy 6.0 is way underrated and 6.4 is highly overrated.

PickupTrucks.com - Special Reports

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Maybe you can convince TFL to run a 5.7HD up the Ike. Until then, show me a dyno run of your truck and we can compare curves to what's been posted out there for a stock 6.4. We can leave the various conspiracy theories out of the discussion.

And what does any of this have to do with oil temps?

OP
OP
O

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ultimately I am curious if an oil cooler would be warranted. Not a large one but enough to keep the temp around 200.

Sent from a field

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Ultimately I am curious if an oil cooler would be warranted. Not a large one but enough to keep the temp around 200.

Sent from a field

I think the 6.4L already has an oil cooler right next to the oil filter. Before adding another one, maybe you can ask Ram (not a Ram dealer) at the link below. These temps may be normal and why a 0W40 synthetic oil is required since a synthetic oil handles heat better, and grade 40 has a better viscosity at higher temps than the lower grades. Grade 40 oil has a minimum viscosity of 12.5mm/s at 212F while grade 30 is at 9.3mm/s and grade 20 is at 5.6mm/s.

Contact Ram Trucks

OP
OP
O

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. I'll have to look better next time I'm under the truck. I didn't notice a cooler.

Sent from a field

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
I think the 6.4L already has an oil cooler right next to the oil filter. Before adding another one, maybe you can ask Ram (not a Ram dealer) at the link below. These temps may be normal and why a 0W40 synthetic oil is required since a synthetic oil handles heat better, and grade 40 has a better viscosity at higher temps than the lower grades. Grade 40 oil has a minimum viscosity of 12.5mm/s at 212F while grade 30 is at 9.3mm/s and grade 20 is at 5.6mm/s.

Contact Ram Trucks

Theres an oil cooler mopar PN 04893200AC item 21, you Will need it if it's going to struggle as we seen.

Maybe you can convince TFL to run a 5.7HD up the Ike. Until then, show me a dyno run of your truck and we can compare curves to what's been posted out there for a stock 6.4. We can leave the various conspiracy theories out of the discussion.

And what does any of this have to do with oil temps?

I would love to see a stock dyno from Ram on the 6.4l, would you happen to have one as I have not been able to find one at all. Theres plenty out there for a 5.7l from Ram.

Personnaly a dyno means nothing if the real world performance doesn't match as we seen in the Ike challenge.

Attachments

• i2317788.jpg
    i2317788.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 38

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Danno, do us all a favor and take your issues elsewhere if you don't have anything useful to add. All you seem to do in your recent posts if bash the 6.4 based upon whatever bs you can dig up. If it make you feel better about your 5.7 then good for you. But keep it to yourself and stop derailing threads.

Anyone that thinks 220 is too hot when towing through hills/mountains doesn't know wtf they are talking about.