Oil temps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Danno, do us all a favor and take your issues elsewhere if you don't have anything useful to add. All you seem to do in your recent posts if bash the 6.4 based upon whatever bs you can dig up. If it make you feel better about your 5.7 then good for you. But keep it to yourself and stop derailing threads.

Anyone that thinks 220 is too hot when towing through hills/mountains doesn't know wtf they are talking about.

I beleive I provided info on the oil cooler people were asking about from the manufacture to include part number and illustration as to location.

You can't find a manufactures dyno for the 6.4 can you.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Right along with stating "you will need it if it's going to struggle as we seen.". I don't believe there is any proof as this point, at least in this thread, that a cooler upgrade is necessary. Again, 220 degree temps are nothing to get excited about based upon the facts provided.

Regarding the dyno, this is what was provided by MBRP on another forum. Before everyone jumps on this as well understand it's a Mustang dyno. Which means it almost always reports lower numbers then a Dynojet, which is the most commonly used.

64DynoStock_zpscdbs6f5l.jpg

As soon as I can get time scheduled on a local dyno I will post my own. But with headers, catback, tune, etc. I'm obviously not going to provide a useful baseline. So for now, the MBRP dyno is all I have ever come across.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Manufactures dyno, not a third party. Talk about derailing, its way off the track now......

Since ram hasn't release a dyno for the 6.4, why who knows, here's a comparision for a unbias manufacture. Notice the difference.

Attachments

• 71-1561_dyno.pdf
    34.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 77-1568_dyno.pdf
    35.8 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
O

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So if my research is correct, the oil cooler is a liquid to liquid cooler. It uses coolant to cool the oil.

Can anyone verify?

Which is why I probably didn't notice it. I would have been looking for an air to liquid cooler.

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I could care less about some damn test. What I can tell you is that I currently own both a 6.0 3/4t suburban with 4.10 gears with much smaller tires than my 6.4 with 3.73s. The ram spanks the sub in power, the sub might have an exceleration advantage, but put the same size tires on one or the other and the ram would win.

They are both good engines but some of you guys get major wood over the 6.0.

Oh and my oil temp is at 219, been idling for damn near 2 hours with the ac on.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
So if my research is correct, the oil cooler is a liquid to liquid cooler. It uses coolant to cool the oil.

Can anyone verify?

Which is why I probably didn't notice it. I would have been looking for an air to liquid cooler.

I am not 100% sure. I want t say it is air cooled, but could be wrong on that.

I would not worry yourself to much about the oil temps posted. As someone who used to work for an engine manufacturer and has tested many engines, I can tell you that even though the temps posted are fairly hot for normal cruising conditions, you are still in the safe zone when using synthetic. Engine oil is perfectly fine up to around the 250-260F mark and actually lubricates the engine better at this temp then when it is cold. In fact, most engine wear comes from those brief 15 minutes of a cold start before the oil reaches normal operating temp. Your engine will get most of its wear and tear at this point then it ever will operating at 230F oil temperatures. Why? Because the oil is too thick(even 0W oil) to completely lubricate the engine and is why I always recommend never to rev your engine too much during this time frame.

If your truck starts to get close to the point at which oil starts to break down, which is around 270-285F mark depending on the oil, then I would start to worry and back down to let the engine cool off. Anything below that in the 200-235F range is is actually causing less wear and tear on your engine than when the oil is at 80F. I hope that helps ease your mind.

Edit: Just to be clear.... When I say "operating temp", I mean oil temperature not coolant temperature. The coolant will get to operating temp a lot sooner than the oil will. Like I said above, it usually takes about 15 minutes of driving for the oil to get to operating temp.

Last edited:

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes, Danno, you provided a link to an oil cooler which already comes standard on the 6.4. Do you think perhaps running two of them in series could help:p? Again, no one ever started, beside you, that 200-220 degrees was excessive for a gas engine.

Since when do manufactures commonly release engine dyno charts and who would ever believe it if they did? The entire aftermarket and enthusiast community, except you, relies on "third party" dyno results to verify a motor's output from manufacture claims.

In your short time here you have managed to comment/troll/derail every 6.4 thread with some bs about how bad and/or overrated the motor is, and of course how the 5.7 is superior. Even to the point of claiming "Wouldn't be surprised if FCA paid them not to run a comparison due to the old 5.7 doing better". Yep, that makes sense. Stop trolling the threads to justify whatever 6.4 envy you have pent up inside.

You went full retard, never go full retard.:crazy:

Last edited:

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:
OP
OP
O

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its already been posted see post 19

Post 19 mentions nothing about the style cooler it is. Thank you for the parts breakdown, though.

Ill just pop my head under the truck and take a look.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am not 100% sure. I want t say it is air cooled, but could be wrong on that.

I would not worry yourself to much about the oil temps posted. As someone who used to work for an engine manufacturer and has tested many engines, I can tell you that even though the temps posted are fairly hot for normal cruising conditions, you are still in the safe zone when using synthetic. Engine oil is perfectly fine up to around the 250-260F mark and actually lubricates the engine better at this temp then when it is cold. In fact, most engine wear comes from those brief 15 minutes of a cold start before the oil reaches normal operating temp. Your engine will get most of its wear and tear at this point then it ever will operating at 230F oil temperatures. Why? Because the oil is too thick(even 0W oil) to completely lubricate the engine and is why I always recommend never to rev your engine too much during this time frame.

If your truck starts to get close to the point at which oil starts to break down, which is around 270-285F mark depending on the oil, then I would start to worry and back down to let the engine cool off. Anything below that in the 200-235F range is is actually causing less wear and tear on your engine than when the oil is at 80F. I hope that helps ease your mind.

Edit: Just to be clear.... When I say "operating temp", I mean oil temperature not coolant temperature. The coolant will get to operating temp a lot sooner than the oil will. Like I said above, it usually takes about 15 minutes of driving for the oil to get to operating temp.

Thanks.

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wow this got out of hand while I was away :)

I'm not sure on this. Does the 5.7 have the 66RFE trans? If so I doubt that it would do any better on the Ike since another post already discussed FCA statements about how the trans logic in the 66RFE is designed to limit wear/tear from overheating of the 6.4 engine when hauling. Just a thought.

Either way I'm fine with it taking an extra couple minutes to climb a long steep grade while towing/hauling 10K lbs just knowing i won't experience any engine overheating issues. And I'm totally satsfied with the amount of power the 6.4 produces and certainly hope those with the 5.7 are enjoying theirs.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Just wanted to add that some BMW's normal oil temps can be 220+

if it helps aliviate some concern

theweis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
230-245 degrees when towing

Hey guys, first post. I love my 2500 6.4, it's my 3rd Hemi, but 1st HD. Great vehicle.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I am concerned about high oil temps as well. I searched for oil temps and this seems to be the right thread, so here goes...

I tow a 10,000lb 28' enclosed race trailer, and often see 230-245 degree engine oil temps.

On really hilly back roads getting to some tracks, the engine can run for extended periods at higher RPM - 3500-4000 RPM. The engine sometimes makes a strange mechanical sound at these speeds and temps (sorry, can't really write the sound, but maybe a rattly whine?) and I have pulled over the rig and idled while temps came down. Like something is possibly being overloaded...

I have seen temps rise to and stay at the 230-240 degree level even during interstate driving, on some long but sustained grades in PA for example. With airflow at 75mph (although 90degree summer airflow), the engine temps climb up there...

The cooling setup on this truck seems very well thought out with lots of plumbing and layers of coolers, multi chamber liquid/liquid cooling etc. I thought I could just add another air/oil cooler, but this thing is FULL of cooling already.

I wouldn't really worry about it except for the noise. I have not been to the dealer yet, but thought I'd put it out there on here first.

Anyone with similar experiences? Should I not worry about 230-245 on a regular basis with this truck?

Trans temps are about 195-200 when engine is at these peak temps.

Thanks for the help guys.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've seen as high as 253 pulling the rockies. Can't help with the noise you have heard. FWIW, I've seen 235 in the same MTN range with a cummins.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've seen 230 in 115*F - Gotta love Palm Springs-

GUNNOE20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have hit as high as 261 grossing 19k while pulling steep grades in first gear. I will suggest keeping the engine under 4500 rpm if you are interested in longevity... ( there is a reason the chassis cab trucks are governed there) ... I however don't listen to my own advice lol . The 6.4 makes max HP at 5600 rpm and mine stays wound up while towing .. guess that's why I ended up with a nice new engine at 19k miles ;)

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Temps are the same in my 6.4 as they were in my 1/2 ton 5.7, about 210-212 driving, can get up to 218-220 if idling in 100* weather.