Oil viscosity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
What's everyone running

i run the pennzoil ultra 0 40 like the manual calls for. amazon it to me...

ram engineers who developed this engine get paid well to come up with the specific oil that needs to be run in the truck.

additionally, doing oil changes with the correct oils might cost a little more, but how much does a engine replacement cost? or a warranty denial because wrong oil was in engine?

just my .02

cheers comrades!

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
Don't get me wrong, I just put pennzoil ultra 0w40 back in the crankcase. Amazon subscribe and save bought two 6 packs for $90+. I'm just scratching my head as to why I need 280-300 moly in a derated 6.4. Plus, to put that moly in they drop the zinc/phos down to 800/600. The pennzoil platinum 0w40 and Mobil 0w40 both have moly, just less with 50-70 ppm, with boron additionally, and 1000+ zinc. Ultra has less calcium compared to the other two also. The flash points and Noacks are all pretty much the same between the oils. Hardly any oils out there run such high levels of moly, an expensive friction modifier. Anyone out there having any problems with the Mobil 0w40 that has a stout add pack and tbn 12+? In eight months when I dump in platinum 0w40 I will let you guys know.

Diesel oil has the most zinc because it is the original and still the best additive. Forms a sacrificial layer and also has anti foaming properties, the government just wants to find alternatives because it degrades catalysts, not by plugging them, but coating them so they can't do their jobs. Like anything else, the government would love to kill your engine at the expense of cleaner air, more tax revenue for them when you buy a new truck. Just look at diesels, they ruined them. My old diesels, no emission crap, with less hp and torque rolled so much better at lower rpms and got 23 mpg. Old 6.6, 5.9, 7.3s were 500k mile engines. New diesels get much less mpg, because they have to freaking dump the fuel in the cylinders to make the gobs of power, 500k miles.... not with the heat they are generating. Use more fuel.... that is more taxes for govt and revenue for lobbying big oil. Try blowing through a straw, that is what it's like for your diesel to push exhaust through a catalyst, dpf, and then Scr. The guys who roll coal everywhere are the ones who forced the government to clean up the diesels.....

Those out there reading this, don't go buy a zinc additive because I said it is the best. At high levels it actually starts degrading the engine surfaces it is meant to protect.

kry226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The other thing to think about regarding oils and certain qualities is the oil's ability to protect, or at least not do damage to, the emissions system. It's important to know what a certain oil's additive package looks like (high SAPs/low SAPs) if you're going to go outside of the manufacturer's specifications. This is particularly important depending on the type of fuel run as well.

For example, my BMW's oil specification oil is different here in Germany versus the U.S. due to the difference in fuel quality. Just food for thought.