One of those days

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hanging out in service at the Stealership for an OC and rotation. Decided to get the tech's opinion on the suspected HEMI tick I've got. Didn't lift the hood, just asked him to stand in front as it idled. Here's what ensued. Me:"Hear anything off, or is it just me?" Him: "Nope. That's just what they sound like." Me: "Really. Kind of makes it sound like a diesel." Him: "This isn't a diesel?" So, apparently I got diesel tone without the extra $8,500 hit and the DEF tank. Thanks, RAM.

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Hanging out in service at the Stealership for an OC and rotation. Decided to get the tech's opinion on the suspected HEMI tick I've got. Didn't lift the hood, just asked him to stand in front as it idled. Here's what ensued. Me:"Hear anything off, or is it just me?" Him: "Nope. That's just what they sound like." Me: "Really. Kind of makes it sound like a diesel." Him: "This isn't a diesel?" So, apparently I got diesel tone without the extra $8,500 hit and the DEF tank. Thanks, RAM.

Well that sucks. What are they doing to fix it?

Although, your info says you have a 6.4L. Do they charge almost $1,000 more for diesels in your area? Wow!

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Mine ticks like a chinese watch and sounds like a diesel under load until it warms up. Been like that since I got it new, so.

OP
OP
PippinAin'tEasy

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well that sucks. What are they doing to fix it?

Although, your info says you have a 6.4L. Do they charge almost $1,000 more for diesels in your area?
Nope, they charge $8k more fer the oil burners down here. They claimed nothing's awry with the motor today. I armed myself with the Maxlife warranty this go 'round so I'm just gonna ride it til something happens and let RAM figure it out.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Nope, they charge $8k more fer the oil burners down here. They claimed nothing's awry with the motor today. I armed myself with the Maxlife warranty this go 'round so I'm just gonna ride it til something happens and let RAM figure it out.

They charge $8,500 more going from a 6.4L there? Wow! Down here and on Ram's website it is only a roughly $7,500 up charge to go from a 6.4L to a Cummins even with the added cost of the 68RFE. Going from a 5.7L to a Cummins is still about $8,500 though. Those dealers bust be price gouging you guys there to get an extra grand.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

He's trolling you because the 6.4 was $1300, so the diesel wasn't actually $8,000 more than you paid. :/

OP
OP
PippinAin'tEasy

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Like the welcome sign sez: "Florida: Open for Business".

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
He's trolling you because the 6.4 was $1300, so the diesel wasn't actually $8,000 more than you paid. :/

Actually I was genuinely shocked. Although not that surprised given how some dealers operate, and I have to remember that this is Texas and the truck market is more competitive here. Things may not be the same elsewhere. I am a bit disappointed that you thought I was trolling him.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The price difference is currently $7,600. (8995-1395) get it right or pay the price! ;)

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone else find it scary that the service tech working on his HEMI wasn't aware that the truck wasn't a CUMMINS?

That would worry me just alittle.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

OP
OP
PippinAin'tEasy

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Anyone else find it scary that the service tech working on his HEMI wasn't aware that the truck wasn't a CUMMINS?
To be fair it was 7am and no one was sufficiently caffeinated. And I swear the damn thing does rattle like a diesel when it's cold (see Ratket's post). Apparently 3500 gassers are quite the oddity; not a one of the 5 techs hanging around had seen one and the one dude's brain was probably locked on to "3500 = diesel". But yeah, I was helpless to stop my face from doing the "please tell me someone else is working on my truck" look. And they were. Spoke to the diagnosing tech and dude knew his ****. More importantly he knew his limitations.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had a couple mornings where I get a brief loud knock. I attributed it to lifter leak down. I was running Amsoil ar the time because nobody in town carried the P.U.P. 0-40, or within 100 miles for that matter. Got a local oil company to special order it for me. Haven't had the start up tick since. I don't know if the change is related or not.

Have you looked to see if your truck falls in the date range of the wrist pin issue?

Last edited:

Underarock13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500 14
Engine
6.4 hemi
Ahahah it's funny because I remember the first time I stopped and was like wtf. My truck sounds like a diesel. Only thing giving it away is my deep sounding bad ass 6.4 exhuast. (Magnaflow res delete) Ahaha just had mine checked too brother. My mechanic first looked for manifold leak due to hemi head bolt issues. Everything checked out. They moved onto exhuast leak and other common hemi issues. They said it looks great and so far they have seen few problems with the 6.4. I don't think you have anything to worry about what you described. These things crackle. Hey and did you hear I smoked a 6.0 raving thread that's blabbered on about irrelevant stuff like about the 6.4 tranny, diesel, and 6.0 towing.... :)

Last edited:

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I'd talk to the service manager, have the issue recorded and get back to driving it. It's warrantied.

My 2000 Silverado did the same thing and everyone at the dealership said it was normal and was piston slap. Didn't change over 140,000 miles.

My guess is the piston skirts on the newer motors are smaller and more prone to noise to reduce friction in the engine.

Some noisier than others JMHO. Bob

OP
OP
PippinAin'tEasy

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd talk to the service manager, have the issue recorded and get back to driving it. It's warrantied.

Thanks, Bob. Yeah, I got photocopies of the write-up for my own records. I deal with 6-8 dealerships while we're running around and all have been more than happy to keep running files for me in case I have to have any major work done. This one's just rolling 3k miles and it's still got a bit of a breaking in to be done yet. I wish I could have pulled the trigger on the 6.7 but everyday I hook up with this big gas motor it gives me everything I could hope for. It's just a truck. I doubt it's my last. It looks good, hauls good, runs good (even if it's inherently rattly). Bottom line is I still believe it was money well spent. So, there. Yeah. I'm gonna go listen to it HEMI tick my happy ass on a beer run now. Ya'll have a good weekend.