Picked up the 6.4 today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500, Hemi 5.7, 3.21
From Spokane to Boise via the Payette scenic highway was amazing. Coming out of Lewiston we climbed for ever and leveled off. Climbed some more, and leveled off, then climbed some more! Then down down down. The views were amazing. Pulled into boise with the Evic at 18.0.

Then the fun. 80mph with a stiff crosswind knocked the trip mpg under 16. Lol.

Pulled into twin falls to police, fire trucks, and ambulances on the bridge over the Snake River. A base jumper got his parachute tangled in the bridge and was dangling under the arch. Wee!

PS: I'm not going to worry about hand calc. I didn't with the EB and it was off about .5-1.0mpg. This is close enough for me.

You went right past me on 195 south of Spokane!

From Lewiston to McCall is about a 5000ft climb, so mileage is always bad going that direction. Whitebird Pass is pretty epic in the winter when those hills are snow covered.

wblv17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
After trekking all the way across the great state of Montana to Kellogg, ID with a detour up to glacier and a couple nights in Lakeside; we took delivery of our Bighorn Edition Ram 2500 CC SB 6.4l. I am impressed. my impressions...
1) the 6.4l feels powerful, but not race car like.
2) coming from an EcoBoost, I noticed the down shifts when climbing. The trade off is it holds 6th descending where the EB was down shifting to hold speed.
3) the trip from Boise to Spokane the Evic claimed 17.4mpg with avg speed of 68. The EB with same gears and bed would likely have done 17.5-19. I'm impressed so far.
4) noticably bog from 1-2 shift. Is this torque management or just bad gear spacing? Maybe both.
5) even with 78psi in all four corners the ride was not too bad. Not car like, but not unpleasant.
6) cab room is not quite as roomy as the 150 super crew.
7) absolutely massive in comparison! I feel the need to do the Tim the tool man Taylor grunts every time I climb in. Even at 6'3" I pretty much have to use the side steps.

400 more miles tomorrow. :)

PS: I read a lot about the hemi being noisy or ticking. This is quiet compared to an EB injector tick.
20150511_160705.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
and doesn't look like a box like the Ford's

OP
OP
drittal

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks all. Loving the truck so far. I have to agree, I love the styling.

Yesterday after filling up we took in shoshone falls, climbed to 6k and tooled around craters of the moon. Went to lunch and some shopping in Idaho Falls then idled through Bear Country(my 2yr old loved the petting zoo). Checked out the Rexburg Temple. Took the Mesa Falls By-Way and checked out both upper and lower Mesa Falls. We wrapped up the day in West Yellowstone. Evic still at 16.4.

Last edited:

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
Same truck as mine! She does a pretty good job of pulling the 10,000 pound camper I have... as mentioned, wind is it's only true nemesis. Hills really don't affect it too much...

Attachments

• IMG_0593.jpg
    IMG_0593.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 94

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963