Please help 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyroptorin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 has trouble shifting from neautral on the transfer case back into 2wd. It budges just out of neautral and then gets caught or something 1/4th the way to 2wd. After many attempts to force it, it will finally let go and due to effort and momentum shift all the way to 4hi then it easily transfers back to 2wd. Any thoughts? Also no issues shifting out of 2wd to either 4hi or 4lo. Also no noise during shifting except the mechanical whine of it doing what it's supposed to do until the gears are locked in. Also transmission is in neutral for the entirety of my efforts.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The beauty of paying for a new truck is you don't have to care or worry about crap like this. Take it to the dealer for warranty coverage.

In my younger years I took engines in/out of vehicles, replaced clutches and trannies, headgaskets, whatever. For all I know my Ram is powered by a herd of squirrels that occasionally catch a cold and need some medicine.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Does it help if you let the truck roll slowly forward (or backwards) while you try to shift?

OP
OP
Kyroptorin

Kyroptorin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Does it help if you let the truck roll slowly forward (or backwards) while you try to shift?
I'm not gunna lie I haven't tried that but knowing myself and my usual luck I would **** it up even more trying to accomplish that. Have you heard of the transfer case doing that before? Should a brand new truck even have this issue?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm not gunna lie I haven't tried that but knowing myself and my usual luck I would **** it up even more trying to accomplish that. Have you heard of the transfer case doing that before? Should a brand new truck even have this issue?

Sometimes having the truck roll slowly will help. IIRC it even says it's ok in the owners manual. You do want to put the transmission in neutral before shifting into 4 Low though, it's not necessary for any of the other shifts with the transfer case.
Try it a few times and put a few miles on the truck, if the problem persist then ha e the dealer take a look at it.

OP
OP
Kyroptorin

Kyroptorin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Sometimes having the truck roll slowly will help. IIRC it even says it's ok in the owners manual. You do want to put the transmission in neutral before shifting into 4 Low though, it's not necessary for any of the other shifts with the transfer case.
Try it a few times and put a few miles on the truck, if the problem persist then ha e the dealer take a look at it.
Ok I'll give it a try. I mean it's well under warranty so if I screw it all up I'll just send it in.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know it's a whole different animal but my 97 1500 had that problem. Couldn't shift it if I wasn't moving. If I left it in drive and was idling it would slip right into 4 hi and back into 2wd without an issue. As long as you're in 4hi. Otherwise you have to put the trans in neutral to drop out of 4lo into 4hi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You should be fine. These Borg-Warner transfer cases are pretty stout.

When shifting it in or out of 4x4 on a roll, never have your foot on the gas, and only when under 55 mph. For 4HI shouldn't matter if your stopped or rolling. For 4LO it helps to shift on a very slow roll (while transmission in neutral) to help the gears mesh.

My Tradesman has the good old full mechanical floor shifter, I think the electronic knob version won't let you hurt the transfer case either way.