Please tell me I'm going crazy...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm hoping I am, and this is normal, but my gut says different. Last week I noticed some squeak coming from under the hood, so I started fishing around and it appears to be the tensioner is bad. Which no big deal... But crawling around it with the motor running. I was listening... And it don't sound good. Sounds like I have a rod knocking... Might explain the truck having a weird idle at times... And I went and flipped over to the evic for the oil pressure. At idle I'm only pushing 35lbs... Give it some gas and it goes back up to 51-52... I know it should drop some at idle. But nearly 17-18 lbs less??? And can someone tell me before I start hitting every panic alarm... Does this truck fall into that wrist pin service bulletin. Here's my door sticker

0f5db6ec62d2fca29a8ed325d57c850a.jpg

And here's a clip from standing next to the door

https://vimeo.com/183537143

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
The engine is a 6.4L for those on their phone or tablet.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I'm hoping I am, and this is normal, but my gut says different. Last week I noticed some squeak coming from under the hood, so I started fishing around and it appears to be the tensioner is bad. Which no big deal... But crawling around it with the motor running. I was listening... And it don't sound good. Sounds like I have a rod knocking... Might explain the truck having a weird idle at times... And I went and flipped over to the evic for the oil pressure. At idle I'm only pushing 35lbs... Give it some gas and it goes back up to 51-52... I know it should drop some at idle. But nearly 17-18 lbs less??? And can someone tell me before I start hitting every panic alarm... Does this truck fall into that wrist pin service bulletin. Here's my door sticker

0f5db6ec62d2fca29a8ed325d57c850a.jpg

And here's a clip from standing next to the door

https://vimeo.com/183537143

The oil pressure is about what mine is. 35 idle/54ish cruising. It's hard to tell from the video if that sound is odd because of the mic or because the motor is idling a bit irratically.

Is this a change from what you know as "normal" for your truck? Have you done any maintenance lately? Switch brand/viscosity of oil or filter? What octane and brand of gas do you run normally? Has any of that changed lately?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The oil pressure is about what mine is. 35 idle/54ish cruising. It's hard to tell from the video if that sound is odd because of the mic or because the motor is idling a bit irratically.

Is this a change from what you know as "normal" for your truck? Have you done any maintenance lately? Switch brand/viscosity of oil or filter? What octane and brand of gas do you run normally? Has any of that changed lately?

The motor does have a bit of an erratic idle, you can watch the radio antenna sway side to side at
Idle. And it even gets the truck rocking (almost like you had put a cam in the truck) it doesn't do it all the time. But pretty much a sure thing when it's a cold start, tomorrow if I get a moment. I'll fire the truck up and let it get fully warm again. And I'll video all around the motor. I'm just wondering if I have one of those wrist pin motors, far as oil/maintenance 3400 miles on the oil, same oil I've been using since 4K (Mobil 1 0w-40 euro blend) and a Napa/wix 7899 filter (the bigger filter used on the earlier 5.7's) oil is full. Getting a bit dark like usual. But otherwise fine. And the truck drives fine. No noise once the oil pressure getting up into the 40-45 psi range.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If the video is an accurate representation of the sound, something ain't right for sure. Pretty sure you fall into the bulletin dates too. PM MadDog and he can hook you up with a copy of the bulletin.

Oil pressure is correct for what I've seen from mine though.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
The motor does have a bit of an erratic idle, you can watch the radio antenna sway side to side at
Idle. And it even gets the truck rocking (almost like you had put a cam in the truck) it doesn't do it all the time. But pretty much a sure thing when it's a cold start, tomorrow if I get a moment. I'll fire the truck up and let it get fully warm again. And I'll video all around the motor. I'm just wondering if I have one of those wrist pin motors, far as oil/maintenance 3400 miles on the oil, same oil I've been using since 4K (Mobil 1 0w-40 euro blend) and a Napa/wix 7899 filter (the bigger filter used on the earlier 5.7's) oil is full. Getting a bit dark like usual. But otherwise fine. And the truck drives fine. No noise once the oil pressure getting up into the 40-45 psi range.

In short, your truck falls right on the cusp of the affected wrist pin debacle. Oct 7th is the cut off. Below is the entire TSB:

NUMBER: 09-002-15 REV. A
GROUP: Engine
DATE: April 29, 2015
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 09-002-15, DATED APRIL 18,
2015, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE
HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** WHICH INCLUDES ADDING THE 2015 MODEL
YEAR VEHICLE.
THIS SERVICE BULLETIN IS ALSO BEING RELEASED AS RAPID RESPONSE
TRANSMITTAL (RRT) 15-038. ALL APPLICABLE SOLD AND UN-SOLD RRT VIN's
HAVE BEEN LOADED. TO VERIFY THAT THIS RRT SERVICE ACTION IS
APPLICABLE TO THE VEHICLE, USE VIP OR PERFORM A VIN SEARCH IN
TECHCONNECT. ALL REPAIRS ARE REIMBURSABLE WITHIN THE PROVISIONS OF
WARRANTY.
SUBJECT:
Knocking Noise From Engine After Sitting Overnight
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves evaluating the engine for cold start knocking noise typically after an overnight cold soak. Some engines during this build period may have been built with incorrect piston wrist pins. The wrist pins will cause an audible knocking noise upon start up. The knocking noise will typically reduce after approximately 30 minutes of idle time.
Engine replacement will be required.
MODELS:
2014 - **2015** (DJ) Dodge Ram 2500

2014 - **2015** (D2) Dodge Ram 3500 Pickup

2014 - **2015** (DD) Dodge Ram 3500 Cab Chassis

2014 - **2015** (DP) Dodge Ram 4500/5500
NOTE :This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after June 16, 2014 (0616XX) and on or before October 07, 2014 (1007XX) equipped with a 6.4L engine (sales code ESA or ESB).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may comment they hear an audible knocking noise coming form the engine after start up for approximately 30 minutes. This only occurs after cold start when the vehicle has been sitting over night.
DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in TechCONNECT, verify all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs or symptom conditions, other than the ones listed above are present, record the issues on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
Only perform the repair if the customers VIN is listed in VIP or your RRT VIN list.

PARTS REQUIRED:
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Allow vehicle to sit overnight outside the repair facility.
NOTE :park the vehicle in an open area if possible to avoid noise amplification from surrounding buildings.
2. Prior to starting the vehicle install wiTECH and navigate to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) data screen.
3. Locate the engine coolant data and verify the engine coolant is no more than 10 degrees higher than the current ambient air temperature at the time of evaluation and record temperature on the repair order.
4. Is the displayed engine coolant temperature displayed in the PCM less than 10 degrees higher than the current ambient air temperature at the time of evaluation?
a. Yes >>> Proceed to Step # 5.
b. No >>> Allow the vehicle to continue to soak outside until Step 4 is achieved.
NOTE :The following steps are part of the evaluation and must be followed in the order listed below.
5. Record the current engine coolant temperature as displayed by wiTECH in the PCM data on the vehicles repair order.
6. Start the engine and record the start up time on the vehicles repair order.
7. Evaluate the engine for abnormal engine knocking noise.
NOTE :Noise evaluation should be performed from both the right front wheel well and the left front wheel well with the vehicle at ground level.
8. Is an audible knock heard coming from the engine.
a. Yes >>> Note the noise location (left wheel well or right wheel well) on the repair order and proceed to Step # 9.
b. No >>> This repair procedure does not apply to this vehicle refer to TechCONNECT for additional diagnostics.
9. Allow the vehicle to run while monitoring the noise level of the knock.
NOTE :Engine must remain at an idle DO NOT increase engine RPM during this evaluation.
10. Is the knock coming from the engine still present after allowing the engine to run for 30 minutes?
a. Yes >>> This repair procedure does not apply to this vehicle refer to TechCONNECT for additional diagnostics.
b. No >>> Proceed to Step # 11.
11. Record the time at which the engine knock was no longer present on the vehicles repair order.
12. Record the engine coolant temperature displayed by wiTECH at the time the knock was no longer present on the repair order.
NOTE :Ensure all data is recorded on the vehicles repair order so that it is available when contacting the Powertrain Service Center for replacement engine. Whenever possible retain a recording of the engine knock during evaluation for future review.
13. Contact Powertrain Service Center for replacement engine assembly and follow the replacement procedure located in TechCONNECT under 09 - Engine, 6.4L Removal/Installation.
POLICY:

TIME ALLOWANCE:

FAILURE CODE:
Disclaimer :This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That doesn't sound right to me. If you doubt it, take it in armed with the bulletin.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hmmmmm interesting

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
And if I'm looking right. My truck was built October 02 2014?

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Well.... I think it's not me... I just got curious and pulled the dip stick... Still full, but had a few shavings of metal on the clean tissue I used after I wiped the dip stick...

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
And if I'm looking right. My truck was built October 02 2014?

Where do you see the 2nd? All I see is the month and year 10-14. As the tsb says, dealers can pull a list of affected VIN numbers. Give them a call.

If it were me, I'd pull a sample of that oil immediately after shut down and send it in for an analysis to see what metals are in it so the stealership can't jack you around. I dunno if Id divulge I was using European formula oil and a filter that wasnt recommended either. Matter of fact, I'd get them both off/outta there before heading there. Just curious... why were you using that?

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
From reading the tsb. If you look it says the build dates from June 16 2014 (0616xx) to oct 7 2014 (1007xx) and on my sticker at the top or far right it's (100223) so I take that it is 10/02. And far as the euro spec oil. It's what Walmart has in 0w-40 and if it meets Porsche and Benz and them. It's fine for an American v8. And the wix bigger filter is a ram filter. Just the bigger one for more filtering capacity

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
From reading the tsb. If you look it says the build dates from June 16 2014 (0616xx) to oct 7 2014 (1007xx) and on my sticker at the top or far right it's (100223) so I take that it is 10/02. And far as the euro spec oil. It's what Walmart has in 0w-40 and if it meets Porsche and Benz and them. It's fine for an American v8. And the wix bigger filter is a ram filter. Just the bigger one for more filtering capacity

I completely understand your common sense approach to the oil and filter selection, but unfortunately, I don't think it's that simple. I could be wrong, but I don't think that oil meets Chrysler MS-12633 or MS-10725, which the book states as a requirement. Might want to look into that before pointing out shavings in your oil to the dealer.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I completely understand your common sense approach to the oil and filter selection, but unfortunately, I don't think it's that simple. I could be wrong, but I don't think that oil meets Chrysler MS-12633 or MS-10725, which the book states as a requirement. Might want to look into that before pointing out shavings in your oil to the dealer.

I'm going to change the oil. I'll go by the other ram dealer and grab their over priced filter and oil and dump it in. Does anyone on here have the ability to run a vin to make sure before I start barking up a tree for no avail

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I'm going to change the oil. I'll go by the other ram dealer and grab their over priced filter and oil and dump it in. Does anyone on here have the ability to run a vin to make sure before I start barking up a tree for no avail

You can get the Penz Platinum 0w-40, which does meet the requirement and is recommended by brand in the book, btw, at wally world. Prob get a mopar filter there too.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
You can get the Penz Platinum 0w-40, which does meet the requirement and is recommended by brand in the book, btw, at wally world. Prob get a mopar filter there too.

I've looked at my wal mart and the bigger one up the road, the only 0w-40 they carry is the Mobil 1 euro, and now a Castrol edge. All the pennzoil only goes to 0w-30 and 0w-20

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The 0-W40 Amsoil Signature Synthetic is MS-12633 certified. I run that since I cannot find the Pennzoil 0-W40 Ultimate Platinum anywhere except the dealership. Good luck.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the oil and filter from the other ram dealer (they suck for everything but info and parts. lol) and see if I can get a service guy to poke in my vin, I found my invoice. And it was dated shipped 10/06/14. So that 10/02 build date is more then likely. I'm half tempted to not say anything to any other dealers and see if I can pawn this off on them. And scoop up a new truck for a similar payment

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So I'm currently laying under my truck. Doing the oil change... And this is just what was on the drain plug.... Nice piece of metal

ab0143ec8ca5ad1ba103680a80d9211d.jpg

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Sounds better with new oil, and the oil pressure is staying at 50-51psi at idle, still idling weird... I'm at a loss now